Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Sign Asante Samuel?

method man

Let me preface this by saying I am not usually a fan of signing big-name FAs. However, I do believe you spend big bucks only for QBs, DEs, LTs, and CBs.

Asante Samuel is going to be FA after this year and will not be franchise-tagged after he accepted it this year (the Pats promised they wouldn't do it again). Thus, he will come with no strings attached.

He is probably going to get Nate Clements money (8 years 80 mil with a huge SB).

I feel he is certainly worth it. He is a top 3 corner right now and is right behind Champ and Nnamdi Asomugha. I know hte history of former Pats sucking in other systems, but Asante just seems to have those instincts like when to jump routes and such that will make him elite in any system. Something we really need is a playmaker at CB and Asante is a proven pick-machine.

With Springs gone next season and uncertainy about how Rogers is going to return from his injury, I think making Asante the one big-name signing is a smart move. We need a no. 1 corner and a gimpy Rogers and past-his-prime Smoot do not cut it.

No way.

The guy you throw big money at is already on our roster. cough*taylor*cough

I really think the Skins are going to stick to the draft this time around sans maybe a Briggs or some other young, experienced LB signing for $10-15 Mil up front.

Other than that, stick to the draft and build from within.

No way.

The guy you throw big money at is already on our roster. cough*taylor*cough

I really think the Skins are going to stick to the draft this time around sans maybe a Briggs or some other young, experienced LB signing for $10-15 Mil up front.

Other than that, stick to the draft and build from within.

Why would we bring in Briggs???

I would love to build through the draft, and there are some CBs in this draft that could turn into a #1 CB given time. I say we spend money on Jarred Allen from KC instead of a CB, then we can fill our needs on options that aren't crapshoots.

Dude, CB is a greater crapshoot than DE in the draft in recent years, especially a no. 1 CB. So many end up being average or slightly above-average. I'd rather spend the money at a premium position like CB and draft DL's. And do you know how much money Allen is going to cost???

DHall sucks. He is very overrated. Asante is a proven guy and he is only 26. It's not as if he is some geezer.

DHall sucks? He's been in 2 pro bowls in the last 3 seasons. Besides, he's on the Falcons. What do you think the chances are that he's just fitting into an excellent system? I think it's possible that you could say that of Samuel.

Dude, CB is a greater crapshoot than DE in the draft in recent years, especially a no. 1 CB. So many end up being average or slightly above-average. I'd rather spend the money at a premium position like CB and draft DL's. And do you know how much money Allen is going to cost???

There are a lot of DEs that are as big busts as CB. Consider Courtney Brown or Mario Williams, who both got picked #1 overall. Usually, the best CB in the draft is not as big a crapshoot as the best DE. In any case, I'd rather pay money to Allen than Samuel because he has proven he can get to the QB, and that's exactly what we need. When Asante Samuel leads the league in sacks, then let's throw money at him.

Why would we bring in Briggs???

Marcus appears to be on the decline and we could use a pass rushing Linebacker. He's been banged up an aweful lot and from what I saw today, he shouldn't have been playing. Fighting through injury and performing well (see Moss, Santana) is one thing but dragging your body around like he did today really worried me.

There are a lot of DEs that are as big busts as CB. Consider Courtney Brown or Mario Williams, who both got picked #1 overall. Usually, the best CB in the draft is not as big a crapshoot as the best DE. In any case, I'd rather pay money to Allen than Samuel because he has proven he can get to the QB, and that's exactly what we need. When Asante Samuel leads the league in sacks, then let's throw money at him.

Allen will be franchise-tagged. You willing to give up 2 1st's and a big contract for him?

DHall sucks? He's been in 2 pro bowls in the last 3 seasons. Besides, he's on the Falcons. What do you think the chances are that he's just fitting into an excellent system? I think it's possible that you could say that of Samuel.

He's a big name. There have been numerous times that he has gotten toasted by good WRs (most notably Chad Johnson). I'd say that Springs is probably better than him. Hall also has character issues that I am wary of after Lloyd.

Would I rather have Samuel and my 3rd round pick that would be used for DL or DHall? The answer is easy

The great thing about Samuel is that there are no strings attached to him. WIth every other good corner on the market, you will have to give up picks.

I think this team is going to get another decent year out of Shawn Springs and Rogers will be back next year so CB isn't a pressing need. Until then drafting another CB wouldn't be a bad idea, just not in the first round.

I actually wouldn't mind Samuel as Springs potential repacement, but not at the opportunity cost attached to one Sean Taylor.

Allen will be franchise-tagged. You willing to give up 2 1st's and a big contract for him?

Good point. I would not give up this much for him, although I think he is worth the big contract, especially given the flexibility it allows us in the draft. In any case, we need to address either DE or CB in free agency, because there are not enough good players to fill all the voids we do have (especially since we clearly need help at WR and OL).

I think this team is going to get another decent year out of Shawn Springs and Rogers will be back next year so CB isn't a pressing need. Until then drafting another CB wouldn't be a bad idea, just not in the first round.

I actually wouldn't mind Samuel as Springs potential repacement, but not at the opportunity cost attached to one Sean Taylor.

Springs is going to be let go. Many Redskins insider sources have said so. He has too high of a cap hit for next season

Good point. I would not give up this much for him, although I think he is worth the big contract, especially given the flexibility it allows us in the draft. In any case, we need to address either DE or CB in free agency, because there are not enough good players to fill all the voids we do have (especially since we clearly need help at WR and OL).

I agree with you. We need to bring in an elite guy at one of these two positions. I am leaning toward Samuel because: 1) there are no strings attached pick-wise and 2) this draft will be ripe in DL

Archived