Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you wore a condom would you have sex with someone who has AIDS?

SUNSTONE

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

To live a dream vs. to fear the 1 in 100 or 1 in a lot (per time).

I know the poll results are 9 to 1 right now. I'd be shocked if only 1 in 10 people married to somebody with AIDS has sex. I know I view my wife as hot and an almost perfect date. If she had AIDS, I don't think I'd turn down sex for the rest of our lives. I know docs say "don't do it." They are paid to give me advice with one goal, make me live longer. Some things in life are worth the risks. Quality of life over duration seems a perfectly reasonable approach. I wonder if the poll results would vary depending on whether the respondent already lives with a chronic illness like me (geeky statistician side seeping out)?

I know one thing. If I was going to have sex with a person with AIDS, I would be darn sure I knew how to put a raincoat on properly.

I think those that answer "of course not and everyone who says otherwise should have their head examined" aren't really putting themselves in the situation. I wonder if those with out a chronic condition really appreciate that life isn't forever despite our best efforts. Everything we do involves risks. At the end of the journey, did you live in a shell? Ever regret that?

This really raises the question of the threshold of what you're willing to bear:

Is it:

(a) act knowingly with the knowledge that partner has HIV,

(B) intentionally act with possibility (or some knowledge) that partner has HIV,

© you would have to be negligent not to know that partner has HIV,

(d) you had no reason to know, or

(e) you know for sure there's no HIV present.

As you move down that list, the likelihood that you'd be willing to engage in the risky behavior increases I think.

It's an interesting question though.

Come on now, condoms are soooo safe, we teach our children this and even pass out condoms in school.

Sounds like this is the reason for the original question.

When passing out condoms they do not say "condoms are soooo safe," they actually explain risks.

My immediate instinct is to say no, but then I think of some of the possible scenarios and can't help but be undecided. What if your partner contracted AIDS through no fault of her/his own? If intimacy was an important component of your relationship how would you react in such a situation?

My immediate instinct is to say no, but then I think of some of the possible scenarios and can't help but be undecided. What if your partner contracted AIDS through no fault of her/his own? If intimacy was an important component of your relationship how would you react in such a situation?

Buy them a vibrator as a going away present.

yes I am a jerk. :D

To live a dream vs. to fear the 1 in 100 or 1 in a lot (per time).

I know the poll results are 9 to 1 right now. I'd be shocked if only 1 in 10 people married to somebody with AIDS has sex. I know I view my wife as hot and an almost perfect date. If she had AIDS, I don't think I'd turn down sex for the rest of our lives. I know docs say "don't do it." They are paid to give me advice with one goal, make me live longer. Some things in life are worth the risks. Quality of life over duration seems a perfectly reasonable approach. I wonder if the poll results would vary depending on whether the respondent already lives with a chronic illness like me (geeky statistician side seeping out)?

I know one thing. If I was going to have sex with a person with AIDS, I would be darn sure I knew how to put a raincoat on properly.

I think those that answer "of course not and everyone who says otherwise should have their head examined" aren't really putting themselves in the situation. I wonder if those with out a chronic condition really appreciate that life isn't forever despite our best efforts. Everything we do involves risks. At the end of the journey, did you live in a shell? Ever regret that?

Dang this dude is talking about marrying a chic with AIDS. :wtf:

Obviously Sunstone is trying to make a point about abstainance-only sex ed for kids. IMO, the analogy is no good because having a baby is not comparable to contracting HIV. One kills you, the other is likely the greatest thing you will ever experience even if it comes at an inconvenient time.

You're totally right, having a baby is a lot different than getting AIDS.

What a profound statement you just made. ;)

And having a baby at an incovenient time is a nightmare, I speak from experience.

well it was started by one of the ubers...

Anyways. I said no, but lets see...for a guy I think the number is less then 30% of contracting AIDS from a chick unprotected. Then of course with a condom the number goes WAY down. I would say no, but if say Jessica Alba had AIDS and wanted to have sex with me using a condom....I may have to weigh the odds ;)

(:paranoid: j/k :paranoid: )

First - I see why he asked it. But the OP logic is flawed.

We teach our kids to wear seatbelts, but that doesn't mean we tell them to go get in a accident.

Teaching a kids to use condoms because it REDUCES your risk of getting AIDS does not mean we tell them to use a condom and then GO HAVE SEX with someone that has AIDS.

Archived