Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you wore a condom would you have sex with someone who has AIDS?

SUNSTONE

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

If memory serves, the risk of a male contracting AIDS from an HIV-positive female via vaginal intercourse is relatively low. . .

. . .don't know if that will change anyone's answer to the original question.

Nah. The risk of getting into a car crash is relatively low, smart people still wear seat belts.

/analogy stolen from Destino.

dick <---- that should clear up any confussion. :laugh:

Whether intended or not, the way you phrased that seems to reflect that you don't see yourself as responsible--and rather that it was a third-party, your weiner, that did the dirty deeds. Interesting, certainly, in the context of this discussion.

Nice job framing the question. Let me try my own...

Would you drive into a brick wall at 40mph with a seat belt on?

I wouldn't. Then again I don't even drive without my seatbelt on. It's not becuase I demand that they be 100% effective. It's because I know that there is a chance that I'll get into an accident and I want to reduce the odds in such a situation of me dying or getting seriously hurt. Same reason people wear condoms. You won't knowingly expose yourself to AIDS (just as you wouldn't drive into a wall) but because you know there is a chance of something going wrong... you take action to reduce the risk.

Let's move on to something else. Let's talk about your tactic here of trying to scare people into moral behavior and why I find it disturbing. First of all moral behavior is about more then just action. You aren't going to save any souls scaring people into a certain behavior because God looks into the hearts of man. Lust as the bible teaches isn't a sin in action but even in thought. The reasons for acting morally can't be self interest or fear of earthly consequence because that strips away the moral aspect of it.

If I point a gun at you and tell you to donate to a charity and you do... are you a moral man for doing so? If I kidnap your mother and instruct you to help the homeless or she gets it and you show up at the soup kitchen.. are you moral man for it? If I threaten you with a life of disease and death if you have sex... are you moral man for staying "pure" because of this fear?

So you would sleep with someone you know who has AIDS, as long as you used protection?

I'll get to the rest of your post later, I'm walking out the door.

"It" wants to go outside......"It" puts the lotion in the basket. :D

Whether intended or not, the way you phrased that seems to reflect that you don't see yourself as responsible--and rather that it was a third-party, your weiner, that did the dirty deeds. Interesting, certainly, in the context of this discussion.

Ok one last post, because it's quick.

No person who sleeps around is acting responsibly, wether they use a condom or not.

If you wouldn't take a chance on a person who you know has AIDS, then how is it any better to just go in blindly and hope nothing bad happens.

Ok one last post, because it's quick.

No person who sleeps around is acting responsibly, wether they use a condom or not.

If you wouldn't take a chance on a person who you know has AIDS, then how is it any better to just go in blindly and hope nothing bad happens.

Does anyone else feel like this was a wrap up from like a montel williams or geraldo talk show? :doh:

Its the preachy wrap up :laugh:

Well, the Catholic Church's position (that they lovingly teach to third-world savages) is that condoms actually help spread AIDS. So, from that perspective I suppose the answer would be no.

If I were to honestly answer this question, I would have to really love someone to have sex with them (condom or no) if I knew they had AIDS.

But what about this question:

Would you have sex with someone with a condom if you knowlingly had AIDS? Would you tell them?

I say it would depend on how desparate I was.

Dang this dude is talking about marrying a chic with AIDS. :wtf:

How ironic that one posing a question designed to lead one down "the moral path" doesn't consider a date with one's wife can be a perfect dream date. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Seriously, maybe it's that MS can take away most of what I find worth living for tomorrow. Maybe it's my raising a daughter with a serious medical condition that changed my hopes for her and me from a "long life" to a "life well lived." All off that has made me think that the value of life is really the ability to dream, the ability to work towards that dream, and the ability to take a few risks. Sometimes an intimate relationship is one of the things worth it.

If my dream was to have an intimate relationship (or even just sex though that's not my dream), I understand being willing to take a chance. I know if my wife got AIDS from any of the medical conditions to which we're exposed, I would still want sex. It's part of my life dream that I currently live to the best of my ability.

Maybe it's going in for an infussion of drugs every 28 days and taking pills multiple times a day, but do people on this board realize how long and well people with AIDS can live? It's not an instant death sentence like it was 20 years ago. Would I wish it apon a family member? Absolutely not...but from reading this board, I think the social stigmata is probably more of an issue than the disease (which is bad). Seriously, do any of you people who respond so forcefully actually know people with AIDS?

So you would sleep with someone you know who has AIDS, as long as you used protection?

I'll get to the rest of your post later, I'm walking out the door.

"It" wants to go outside......"It" puts the lotion in the basket. :D

Where in the world did you get that?

He said he always wears a seatbelt, although he wouldn't drive into a brick was at 40mph with a seatbelt on.

gbear makes some very good points.

I answered no,but if my wife contracted aids I very likely would continue having sex with her.(not sure if I was younger I would choose that though)

I never had good luck with condoms and the point I take from the question is if you are unwilling trust condoms due to the risk of AIDS,why do you trust them to prevent other diseases or pregnancy?

iheart,

really for me that list is accurate only to the extent that it reflects a far more basic trade off.

Dream sex vs. risk of getting AIDS and what that would mean for my life.

The risk of getting AIDS has to be understood in terms of what getting AIDS will mean for the rest of my life. I don't view it as terribly awfully worse than what I have now. It would be marginally worse. The risk is low of that happening. Now if I have to weigh sex with my wife vs. the risk that my life might change a bit (few more drugs, more infussions, etc.), that's a no brainer for me. AIDS would suck, no doubt, but compared to the certainty of gaining a sexlife...my decision is easy though different from the majority on here.

It seems the original post is trying to call the hypocracy of those saying condoms are the answer. They're not perfect. I'm not saying my choice would be for everyone. I am saying it's not as crazy as many on here are painting it. It's a choice I hope never to have to make, but knowing people with AIDS I understand their choices.

Archived