Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McCardell Signing and Unmentioned Implications

ThePreciating

you're looking too deeply into a simple roster move meant to improve our depth

Disagree. Bodiford improved our depth and had room to grow. McCardell is here because Gibbs is tired of not having a possession receiver who can catch like a man. Sorry Santana, but you can't catch unless you see room in front of you. McCardell should fix that for us.

This is all irrelevant if we're still coming out in max protect sets, with only 1 or 2 people running routes (exactly what we did vs the Giants).

I don't see the logic behind it either, frankly.

Looks like we lucked up with the Moss trade...short of that the WR position has been horribly botched, in both acquisitions & utilization, since Gibbs came back.

We aren't airing the ball out, short of Gibbs giving up his headset. Gibbs doesn't trust JC, doesn't trust the line, doesn't trust the receivers.

Bodiford wasn't healthy and never got on the field for the Redskins.

He is a 24 year old receiver that has been cut twice in two years by other clubs that had needs at wide receiver.

In Green Bay he is slated to be a special teams player.

Nobody is indicating at this point that there are any plans to play him on offense right away or indeed at all.

So, let's not try and build up somebody that went undrafted and has no resume in the NFL.

This team just seems to have receiver issues. Like the Broncos go through 25 different DLmen a year.

Maybe it really isn't the receivers but the plays or the routes. It seems that nobody can be a consistently reliable receiver in this offense. Not even Moss, Cooley or Randel El. If our #1 and #2 options can't catch 5-6 balls a game then how do you expect any 3rd or 4th guy to do anything?

Dude, this team isn't lighting anything up just yet. Too many stupid mistakes and too inconsistent. We haven't had a clear win yet. Lets just take it week by week.

Agreed. Trust me, just like everyone else, I would love to see our Skins light it up. Just don't see it happening against a good team. Could it happen against the Lions D? Sure, but that doesn't mean ****. Once we hang 27+ with a large margin to win, I'll agree. But till then, its just like every other season. Young potential with a bunch of free agents, like we try to do every year (maybe more young potential this year). We'll rebound against the Lions, but not by much, and the next three games will be a great litmus test.

yeah' date=' I don't see what gibbs is doing. How is McCardell better than lloyd? I understand McCardell will have his chance but he's going to do what lloyd is doing now which is nothing. I wish gibbs would explain why he's doing it that's all.[/quote']

Who are you, Dan Snyder? Why does he have to explain everything.

Some people in here think they could do a better job than Gibbs, and it just makes you all look like fools cause you know thats not true. :rolleyes:

I think one of the safeties will be cut I think we currently have 6 on the roster (Taylor, Landry, Prileou, Doughty, Stoutmire and Fox). Im thinking Omar Stoutmire or Vernon Fox gets the axe if we do indeed decide to sign McCardell.

That wasn't the issue. I know we could make room for him. The problem I see is that we can't even get the guy we signed a couple of weeks ago on the field, so why sign another guy? To me, the only thing that makes sense is that someone is hurt and won't be ready to play for Detroit.

Then, there is Adam Schefter's comment on the John Thompson show that the Redskins are not going to keep more than 5 WRs. As I discussed above, that doesn't seem to make much sense.

Jason

Guest RideorDieChic

Some people in here think they could do a better job than Gibbs, and it just makes you all look like fools cause you know thats not true. :rolleyes:

questioning unclear objectives and moves doesn't exactly mean one can do a better job if they were in coach Gibbs' position... so don't be rediculous. For the past two years the team[Coach Gibbs] have made some questionable acquisitions, and fans are starting to come off the love high and see pass the blind support they once had for Coach Gibbs. They don't want his job, we just want him to do a BETTER job, that's all.

Just a heads up: This type of inquisition by fans will continue, if conditions remainS the same....

Hail!

did I say I could do a better job then gibbs freak? So I should stop my curiousity just because you say so, please.

did I say I could do a better job then gibbs freak? So I should stop my curiousity just because you say so' date=' please.[/quote']

Freak? LMAO whatever

And i didnt direct that AT you, if you would open your eyes, i said "some people" not YOU, mmmkay? Stop ASSuming

PEOPLE on this forum need to give Gibbs a break, he wants to win MORE than anyone on a damn forum. He puts in prob over 100 hours a week at the office studying film, making roster decisions, etc etc, some PEOPLE need to lighten up.

Guest RideorDieChic

There is no doubt or questions as to whether or not Coach Gibbs WANTS to win. The questions remains is whether he knows HOW to win in today's NFL has passed him bye.

It's ok to sign players, if your gonna use them. I wonder about the exsisting play calling philosophy. We have a QB who can throw, and recievers who can catch. But what good is it if your play calling doesn't have that in mind. We are probably the only team in the NFL that thinks it can set on a 2TD lead. Well, if last weeks lose didn't teach a few lessons, we're in for a very long season. Jason completed some very tough throws in very Crucial moments last week. Why not let him do the same to help build the lead as opposed to playing catch up.

Tampa does it with QB's

New England does it with WR's

Denver does it with D-linemen

Tampa hasn't had a decent QB in years.

New England hasn't had a decent WR in a long time before this year.

Denver hasn't had enough DL that were worth a **** for years.

What does that say about what Gibbs and Co. think about our WR's?

This is all irrelevant if we're still coming out in max protect sets, with only 1 or 2 people running routes (exactly what we did vs the Giants).

I don't see the logic behind it either, frankly.

Looks like we lucked up with the Moss trade...short of that the WR position has been horribly botched, in both acquisitions & utilization, since Gibbs came back.

We aren't airing the ball out, short of Gibbs giving up his headset. Gibbs doesn't trust JC, doesn't trust the line, doesn't trust the receivers.

But he trusts that his money will be in the bank!

Freak? LMAO whatever

And i didnt direct that AT you, if you would open your eyes, i said "some people" not YOU, mmmkay? Stop ASSuming

PEOPLE on this forum need to give Gibbs a break, he wants to win MORE than anyone on a damn forum. He puts in prob over 100 hours a week at the office studying film, making roster decisions, etc etc, some PEOPLE need to lighten up.

So, he put in that amount of time only that it amples to nothing when the game needs to be put out of reach. This is a man that is a shadow of his former self, and I would support his decision to step down any day of the week.

Guys, McCardell is 37 as we all know. This is definitely his last season.

If we're bringing this guy in, does that mean Gibbs thinks we're going to make a run this season?

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this is just more proof that Gibbs is "all-in." It's now or never.

Randy Thomas not going on IR is also interesting. We relegated Bodiford to the PS (and thereby back to Green Bay) despite him being FIFTEEN years younger than McCardell. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, but it certainly is "win-now."

We also picked up a bunch of free agents from teams on our schedule this season, and we gave Jason 7 warmup games before going into this season.

Teams have a "window" in which they can make a Super Bowl run. I didn't even know it was open, but if Gibbs thinks it is, I think it is.

After this week, I predict the Skins will light up the scoreboard on regular basis and really stretch the field. Look - even ESPN won't drop us below 14 on their power rankings. They sense it too. A Hall of Fame coach and a team with young, budding, explosive talent coupled with veteran leadership at key positions - and this time, we have a winning record to back it up.

We still have issues with our timing on offense. The OL is in disarray and at times, Campbell can be a "tad" erratic. The play calling by Al Saunders is questionable and also the defensive schemes put into play by Greg Williams are "suspect", his agressiveness has waned and it was apparent in the Giants game when he backed the LB's up at least 5 yds. behind the DL. Rogers has no awareness of ball location and in the nickel package I thought Landry was going to be used as an "impact player"

There are many "facets" of the overall game plan I thought the Skins would implement that hasn't come to fruition. :(

There are lots of possible unmentioned implications if we sign McCardell.

Maybe there are injury concerns.

Probably looking for a replacement for Lloyd.

Maybe we're going for a run.

Maybe there's nothing more to see then the coaches seeing a guy who can help out.

Maybe they havn't given up on Brandon yet and want a veteran presence to help him get other whatever it is he needs to get over.

etc :)

After this week, I predict the Skins will light up the scoreboard on regular basis and really stretch the field. Look - even ESPN won't drop us below 14 on their power rankings. They sense it too. A Hall of Fame coach and a team with young, budding, explosive talent coupled with veteran leadership at key positions - and this time, we have a winning record to back it up.

Stop it, you just gave me a hard on.

Archived