Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McCardell Signing and Unmentioned Implications

ThePreciating

Does anyone know the status with Mcardell? So we haven't signed him yet, right? If not have we offered him a contract?

Also, any news on how Caldwell has looked in practice?

Let's assume for a second that Moss misses the Detroit game. From what I've read it's iffy. So we have El, Thrash, and Lloyd in our 3 receiver set. Caldwell if we go 4 WR (I'm assuming he'll be active).

My guess is that Mcardell will be inactive for the Detroit game and JG is going to play a wait and see approach to Caldwell and Mcardell. Give it a couple of weeks then cut one of them. That's about all the sense I can make out of it.

I'm reading it that way also.

Every season these types of threads pop up after so and so game , and it never happens , Gibbs just doesn't do it , he sits on leads and it costs us , he puts it on our defense too much and it costs us , now I hope we do light it up but I just don't see it , not with a makeshift o-line , inconsistent QB play and WRs that drop passes , I just hope we get better thats all I can realistically hope for

Still no signing. I like the team how it is. Too much in and out. Let them play together for a while and see how it goes.

Thats a good point, it will have a new face in Caldwell anyways. Too many tweaks might be a little too much at once.

it's not like this is the first time in Redskins history the club has blown a lead at home and lost a close game :laugh:

anyone remember the 1983 opener against Dallas where a 23-3 halftime leade ended up as a 31-30 loss?

at 2-1, it's how you respond to that early adversity and come out in your next game.

clearly, the Eagles didn't let the loss to the Redskins on Monday Night crush them :)

McCardell is obviously a quick study and has dependable hands.

More than anything else this team needs receivers that Campbell can depend on.

If Cooley has to stay in and block on critical plays due to the injuries up front on the line, that means we need a possession receiver to run the short and intermediate routes Campbell usually looks for from #47.

Caldwell is learning the system but McCardell is in all likelihood going to be a quicker study and I bet he is on the field against the Lions.

it's not like this is the first time in Redskins history the club has blown a lead at home and lost a close game :laugh:

anyone remember the 1983 opener against Dallas where a 23-3 halftime leade ended up as a 31-30 loss?

at 2-1, it's how you respond to that early adversity and come out in your next game.

clearly, the Eagles didn't let the loss to the Redskins on Monday Night crush them :)

The 1983 team had just won the Super Bowl and knew they were the team to beat. They won 16 of the next 17. This is a 5-11 team last year who underachieved and blew games with great regularity. Not quite the same ballpark.

I want some of what you're smokin'.

This is the easy part of our season.

We barely beat the dolphins, soundly beat an Eagles team with a hobbled McNabb and without a probowl corner, and blew a 14 point lead against the Giants. Meanwhile, teams like the Cowboys and Pats have been absolutely destroying opponents.

NO ONE comes in to Saunders' system and lights it up immediately--it is too complicated.

There is nothing in last 3 years to suggest we are going to be aggressive and light it up. Gibbs is conservative, and believes in risk mitigation. I'd love to see it, but experience suggests it is against Gibbs' nature. Until the O shows some muscle, Williams can't feel comfortable taking big risks, cause the O can't ever bail him out.

Most probably, the signing of McCardell reflects the fact that Lloyd is a bust, the acknowledgement that we need a big receiver in the red zone, and our intention to either sign a FA offseason, or hopefully, draft 1 with a 1, 2 or 3 round pick. You can find starting possession recievers at this point.

I love the Skins, but we are not a Superbowl contender. We do not rush the passer well enough with our front 4 and this will cost us against better teams with good QBs, who will make us pay for mismatches when we bring back 7 players on blitz. Moreover, our running O is now, like a basketball player who can only dribble with one hand, favoring one side--the left. Losing Jansen and Thomas is not some small thing, and will affect us significantly against very good Ds who will get more penetration.

Finally, Moss has the dropsies so far this year, and until McCardell proves it on the field, we don't have a possession receiver which we desperately need.

We are a good team, and it is not absurd to think playoffs, but to put us in the same class as Colts, Pats, Steelers, and perhaps Cowboys, is absurd.

You just have to hope that next time we're in the redzone Gibbs lets Sanuders call the plays. You have to hope next time we have a 14 point lead, we come out still being aggressive on D and O instead of riding a lead.

Please explain to me, how after 3 games where nobody on our recieving core except Moss and Randle El have seen the ball, a 37 year old reciever is supposed to come in and change everything, not only jumping over Thrash, Lloyd, and Caldwell, but managing to convince them to actually throw the ball to someone other than Randle El and Moss?

Archived