Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McCardell Signing and Unmentioned Implications

ThePreciating

Guys, McCardell is 37 as we all know. This is definitely his last season.

If we're bringing this guy in, does that mean Gibbs thinks we're going to make a run this season?

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this is just more proof that Gibbs is "all-in." It's now or never.

Randy Thomas not going on IR is also interesting. We relegated Bodiford to the PS (and thereby back to Green Bay) despite him being FIFTEEN years younger than McCardell. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, but it certainly is "win-now."

We also picked up a bunch of free agents from teams on our schedule this season, and we gave Jason 7 warmup games before going into this season.

Teams have a "window" in which they can make a Super Bowl run. I didn't even know it was open, but if Gibbs thinks it is, I think it is.

After this week, I predict the Skins will light up the scoreboard on regular basis and really stretch the field. Look - even ESPN won't drop us below 14 on their power rankings. They sense it too. A Hall of Fame coach and a team with young, budding, explosive talent coupled with veteran leadership at key positions - and this time, we have a winning record to back it up.

Dude, this team isn't lighting anything up just yet. Too many stupid mistakes and too inconsistent. We haven't had a clear win yet. Lets just take it week by week.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we look like a Super Bowl team.

All I'm saying is that if our coach (who is in the Hall of Fame) is making roster moves for players who won't last beyond this season, he must think there are real possibilities this season.

I just hope they (Gibbs) cease with the 'playing not to lose' mentality on both sides of the ball. I hope McCardell will help. We also have to wonder just how effective Randy is going to be, if indeed he comes back in December.

I'm for turning it all over to the coordinators and I would also say stay aggressive and keep up the attack on both sides of the ball as much as is feasible.

All I'm saying is that if our coach (who is in the Hall of Fame) is making roster moves for players who won't last beyond this season, he must think there are real possibilities this season.

He did the same thing last year by giving away picks for players like Duckett and Lloyd, signing turds like Archuleta. We even signed Vincent midseason when we were something like 2-5. This isn't a new thing. Even if we end up 5-11 again they will go after players.

I hope you're right. I don't know if McCardell being signed is a show of being all-in, maybe more a case of him being the best guy who can play now available. It does seem like some of the moves have been geared towards this year, of course all of the moves last year seemed to indicate the same thing (signing FA to all of our need areas, adding another big time coach, etc...)

i don't get gibbs any other club would love to have the depth the skins have at WRs but the skins don't need it. Moss and EL are doing very well and on that pace they both will have 1000 yards. I understand injury plays a role but Caldwell, lloyd and Thrash are enough, anyway these guys will not get the ball as much as Moss and EL will. Seriously I've never seen a coach do this

i don't get gibbs any other club would love to have the depth the skins have at WRs but the skins don't need it. Moss and EL are doing very well and on that pace they both will have 1000 yards. I understand injury plays a role but Caldwell' date=' lloyd and Thrash are enough, anyway these guys will not get the ball as much as Moss and EL will. Seriously I've never seen a coach do this[/quote']

Tampa does it with QB's

New England does it with WR's

Denver does it with D-linemen

There is no way Gibbs will light it up. Gibbs is Gibbs and we all know what that means. I can't wait for our HOF HC to retire gracefully and graciously at the end of this season.
Why is there no way??? He has had some amazing light up seasons before. Hell, two of the five highes scoring NFL offenses belong to Gibbs' Redskins.

Guest Rafterman
There is no way Gibbs will light it up. Gibbs is Gibbs and we all know what that means. I can't wait for our HOF HC to retire gracefully and graciously at the end of this season.

I'm at the same point myself.

I had high hopes when Gibbs came back but they have been tempered by reality. He is an old man with a major financial interest outside of football. He in no way resembles the Gibbs of the 80's. He may pull another winning record out of this season, but that's where it ends.

Guest Rafterman
Why is there no way??? He has had some amazing light up seasons before. Hell, two of the five highes scoring NFL offenses belong to Gibbs' Redskins.

He had faith in his personnel, and Rip was red hot. That day is long past.

this is a move to shore up an area that has been a festering sore for some time.

I don't see signing of a 37 year old WR to a one year contract to get the team through the season at near minimum as being a sign Gibbs is 'selling out' in the idea that 2007 is necessarily an 'all or nothing' season.

This is a lot like the previous moves for DeMulling and Randall Godfrey, a chance to get veteran depth as other players either go down to injury or in Lloyd's case prove they aren't to be counted on.

Guest Rafterman
i don't get gibbs any other club would love to have the depth the skins have at WRs but the skins don't need it. Moss and EL are doing very well and on that pace they both will have 1000 yards. I understand injury plays a role but Caldwell' date=' lloyd and Thrash are enough, anyway these guys will not get the ball as much as Moss and EL will. Seriously I've never seen a coach do this[/quote']

His move to Keenan McCardell really doesn't make any sense since he refuses to throw the ball to the receivers he has.

Tampa does it with QB's

New England does it with WR's

Denver does it with D-linemen

I'm talking about the talent level these guys have. McCardell, lloyd and Caldwell would be and have been either starting #1 or #2s in the league. I understand the need to get depth but I'd rather see the skins draft someone and bring them up.

His move to Keenan McCardell really doesn't make any sense since he refuses to throw the ball to the receivers he has.

yeah, I don't see what gibbs is doing. How is McCardell better than lloyd? I understand McCardell will have his chance but he's going to do what lloyd is doing now which is nothing. I wish gibbs would explain why he's doing it that's all.

Well, first off McCardell hasn't been signed, and there is no guarantee that he will get signed.

Personally, I find the whole thing curious. Are they looking at keeping six receivers? If not, who gets cut? Thrash just reupped last year and is valuable in special teams. The coaching staff seems high on Caldwell. Everyone else isn't cuttable.

So, what is going on here? I really don't know. I guess we have to wait until everyone comes back to find out.

Jason

Anyone catch Archuleta's performance against the Cowboys? :)

Dallas exploited Archuleta up and down the field in pass coverage.

For all those who are ASSUMING that Lloyd is a capable, productive receiver........perhaps you should look to the Archuleta example.

When he was traded last year, Archuleta at 30 was not the same player he was earlier in his career before injuries took their toll.

Lloyd has never produced as consistently as Archuleta, so why the belief in him?

Has anyone here ever SEEN him produce anything of value?

The most famous thing he did in Washington is throw his helmet.

Well, first off McCardell hasn't been signed, and there is no guarantee that he will get signed.

Personally, I find the whole thing curious. Are they looking at keeping six receivers? If not, who gets cut? Thrash just reupped last year and is valuable in special teams. The coaching staff seems high on Caldwell. Everyone else isn't cuttable.

So, what is going on here? I really don't know. I guess we have to wait until everyone comes back to find out.

Jason

I think one of the safeties will be cut I think we currently have 6 on the roster (Taylor, Landry, Prileou, Doughty, Stoutmire and Fox). Im thinking Omar Stoutmire or Vernon Fox gets the axe if we do indeed decide to sign McCardell.

you're looking too deeply into a simple roster move meant to improve our depth

Moss and EL are the starters

Depth:

Thrash, lloyd, and Caldwell is enough. Signing McCardell needs to be explained. I understand signing Caldwell but not McCardell.

Archived