Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McCardell Signing and Unmentioned Implications

ThePreciating

Guys, McCardell is 37 as we all know. This is definitely his last season.

And your crystal ball told you this? No one knows when someone will retire, its not definitly his last, your statement is stupid. Tell me how you know this is his last?

If we're bringing this guy in, does that mean Gibbs thinks we're going to make a run this season?

No it means that our coaches think we have a need for this. I highly DOUBT that anyone in the organization thinks that the missing piece to the puzzel is Keenan McCardell. I believe they got scared like they always seem to do when one of the three star players (Campbell, Portis, Moss) got injured and this move is nothing more then a reaction to it.

I'm sure that Gibbs want us to make a run this year into the post season and erase that awful 2006 campaign memory but this move doesn't mean anything about a run. I don't know where you get that? Now if we suddenly traded away some picks for Fitzgerald then I would believe your on to something but not for a FA old WR.

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this is just more proof that Gibbs is "all-in." It's now or never.[/Quote]

Absolutely disagree with this. Our QB hasn't even played a full season yet, there is no now or never with him. He's young and inexpirenced. Gibbs isn't "All In" because we signed a WR for injury reasons, :doh:

Randy Thomas not going on IR is also interesting.

This only means the team thinks he can play again this season. Nothing more.

We relegated Bodiford to the PS (and thereby back to Green Bay) despite him being FIFTEEN years younger than McCardell. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision, but it certainly is "win-now."

So because a guy is young that makes him better? PLEASE :rolleyes: Tell us how you know that Bodiford is the next coming of Jerry Rice? Little is known about this guy at this time and he is a risk project. With an expirenced professional like Keeenan you know what your going to get. Also the learning curve won't be as difficult with a veteran vs. a younger player.

We also picked up a bunch of free agents from teams on our schedule this season, and we gave Jason 7 warmup games before going into this season.

And that means what? It means to me that the team wants to help Jason by giving him game time expirence. And who are these bunch of players we picked up from teams on our schedule your talking about?

My head hurts from reading this nonsense, please next time make some sense when you post or take some time and read and get to know your team.

And your crystal ball told you this? No one knows when someone will retire, its not definitly his last, your statement is stupid. Tell me how you know this is his last?

1. Texans cut him.

2. He's 37. How many 38 year old WRs are making an impact right now?

3. I'm not using a crystal ball, I'm using basic football knowledge, which you lack.

So because a guy is young that makes him better? PLEASE :rolleyes: Tell us how you know that Bodiford is the next coming of Jerry Rice? Little is known about this guy at this time and he is a risk project. With an expirenced professional like Keeenan you know what your going to get. Also the learning curve won't be as difficult with a veteran vs. a younger player.

Next coming of Jerry Rice? What are you talking about? To make that inference from my post just shows you have absolutely zero reading comprehension skills.

And that means what? It means to me that the team wants to help Jason by giving him game time expirence. And who are these bunch of players we picked up from teams on our schedule your talking about?

Pete Kendall - Jets

London Fletcher - Bills

Fred Smoot - Vikings

Shaun Bodiford - Packers

Reche Caldwell - Patriots

David Macklin - Cardinals

When you're done spitting poop from your mouth, let me know.

My head hurts from reading this nonsense, please next time make some sense when you post or take some time and read and get to know your team.

You're clearly less intelligent than I am, so I'm going to be easy on you.

A little advice - when you're trying to clown someone, know what you're talking about.

You know as much about the Redskins as I've forgotten in the past five minutes.

EDIT - I apologize for talking about your education. I know Missouri isn't exactly known for its average IQ.

Does anyone know the status with Mcardell? So we haven't signed him yet, right? If not have we offered him a contract?

Also, any news on how Caldwell has looked in practice?

Let's assume for a second that Moss misses the Detroit game. From what I've read it's iffy. So we have El, Thrash, and Lloyd in our 3 receiver set. Caldwell if we go 4 WR (I'm assuming he'll be active).

My guess is that Mcardell will be inactive for the Detroit game and JG is going to play a wait and see approach to Caldwell and Mcardell. Give it a couple of weeks then cut one of them. That's about all the sense I can make out of it.

I'm at the same point myself.

I had high hopes when Gibbs came back but they have been tempered by reality. He is an old man with a major financial interest outside of football. He in no way resembles the Gibbs of the 80's. He may pull another winning record out of this season, but that's where it ends.

Sorry guys, but Gibbs will be here next year. He made a promise to the fans for 5 years and he will keep it.

I'm at the same point myself.

I had high hopes when Gibbs came back but they have been tempered by reality. He is an old man with a major financial interest outside of football. He in no way resembles the Gibbs of the 80's. He may pull another winning record out of this season, but that's where it ends.

With a inexperienced QB, season ending injuries to key O-LINEman, a defence that struggles to stop the run and has no pass rush, I will take the winning season RIGHT NOW and be happy. A playoff appearence and I will be in heaven.

Signing McCardell after signing Caldwell is a sign that maybe Caldwell is a little slow picking up this offense.

McCardell has the most catches of any active WR in the league and has played on many teams. The Redskins are hoping he can come in and produce immediately.

As for what this says to Lloyd...it says nothing because Lloyd obviously isn't listening. He just keeps slipping down the depth chart so it is pretty apparent that Lloyd is

People are looking at this the wrong way because Lloyd is not to be blamed for being the bum he's always been. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the Redskins front office for trading for Lloyd without doing their homework and then giving Lloyd fat cash without first allowing him to prove his worth to the franchise. Mike Nolan laughed at the Skins for trading for Lloyd since no one was after him.

Lloyd is the smart one here with a pocket full of cash playing or not....It is Joe Gibbs and friends who deserve the scrutiny for this move, Archuleta and others. What is obvious to me is that their needs to be a major shakeup in our scouting department.

McCardell will run his routes and be effective. He will be able to teach Jason so much. Keenan played with Brunell. They are all together now on this team to help Jason. Teach Jason about the QB-WR relationship. What a WR shoudl do. What the QB shoudl look for.

This might be our best signing this season. This guy will contribute some on the field, but mightily off the field. He will help the morale, help the emotions of the team and in the locker room.

This is HUGE!!!!!

McCardell will run his routes and be effective. He will be able to teach Jason so much. Keenan played with Brunell. They are all together now on this team to help Jason. Teach Jason about the QB-WR relationship. What a WR shoudl do. What the QB shoudl look for.

This might be our best signing this season. This guy will contribute some on the field, but mightily off the field. He will help the morale, help the emotions of the team and in the locker room.

This is HUGE!!!!!

I agree that McCardell can teach Jason a great deal about WR-QB expectations.

I do think that Keyshawn Johnson could have done this as well and been more productive in the process.

Keyshawn had 77 catches last season (triple that of B-Lloyd). I think the Redskins front office should have pursued either Keyshawn, Moulds or McCardell.

this is a move to shore up an area that has been a festering sore for some time.

I don't see signing of a 37 year old WR to a one year contract to get the team through the season at near minimum as being a sign Gibbs is 'selling out' in the idea that 2007 is necessarily an 'all or nothing' season.

This is a lot like the previous moves for DeMulling and Randall Godfrey, a chance to get veteran depth as other players either go down to injury or in Lloyd's case prove they aren't to be counted on.

Where has Lloyd proved, 'he is not to be counted on'?

This is HUGE!!!!!

Don't tell me Brunell is coming back hahahah

Lenny P is reporting that McCardell will be signed Monday and Lloyd will then most likely be released.

I just don't see it. Not with the cap hit they'd take.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3040551

McCardell and the Redskins: Barring unanticipated glitches, veteran free-agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell officially will sign a one-year contract with the Washington Redskins on Monday, when the club reports back to work following its bye this weekend. The two sides have already agreed in principle to the deal.

The 18th-leading receiver in NFL history in terms of yards, McCardell negotiated with the Redskins this spring, but signed with his hometown Houston Texans, who released him before the start of the season. McCardell, 37, will become the sixth wide receiver on the Washington roster, which means someone likely will be released, and the leading candidate is probably fifth-year veteran Brandon Lloyd.

The Redskins acquired Lloyd from the 49ers last year for a third-round pick in the 2006 draft and a fourth-round choice this year. Like most deals in which the Redskins sacrifice draft picks for an overrated player, the trade has been a bust. In 18 games in a Redskins' uniform, Lloyd has only 23 catches for 365 yards and has not scored a touchdown. He has zero receptions in three games this season.

Notable is that McCardell, a two-time Pro Bowl performer, actually began his professional career with the Redskins in 1991 as a 12th-round draft pick. McCardell has 861 receptions for 11,117 yards and 62 touchdowns. He has registered seven seasons with 70 or more catches and five 1,000-yard campaigns. His career season was in 2000, when he rang up 94 catches for 1,207 yards for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The former Nevada-Las Vegas star has appeared in 199 games with 167 starts in stints with Washington (1991), Cleveland (1992-95), Jacksonville (1996-2001), Tampa Bay (2002-03) and San Diego (2004-06). Last season, McCardell had 36 receptions for 437 yards with San Diego, but he played in only 11 games, was phased out later in the year when the Chargers began to rely on younger players, and failed to score a touchdown for the first time since 1994.

The 49ers drafted Lloyd and then couldn't wait to be rid of him a couple of years later. So he made a great impression on their organization before coming here :laugh:

It is somewhat embarrassing in my mind that there seem to be as many people on this board that are willing to support Lloyd and give him the credit for every doubt as there are who are willing to do the same for Gibbs, Campbell or others :doh:

This guy is a bum plain and simple. Did he work one over on this front office in getting the cash BEFORE he produced anything?

YES.

But that doesn't mean anything NOW.

Now we are talking about performing on the field and winning football games.

I am amused that Lloyd said he had the perfect attitude and makeup for a winning team :)

He has never been on a team that even made .500 in the NFL as of yet.

Without the ridiculous salary cap the NFL works under, Lloyd would have been paid his money and a year later the team would have cut him, thereby admitting the mistake.

But because of the cap we have to ride this bum for another year and watch him drink Gatorade on the bench.

Archived