Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoking. For, or against?

Zen-like Todd

I've never understood the allure of smoking. What is it that gets people to start in the first place? It smells gross, it doesn't taste very good. It doesn't give you a buzz like alchohol, pot, or other drugs. Why do people start smoking in the first place?

In the past I guess it was because it was portrayed in advertising and popular culture as a grown-up, sophisticated thing to do. In more recent times the allure of sophistication has been removed, but maybe it's seen as a way to show oneself as an outsider type. Still, that seems like a flimsy pretense for starting a lifelong habit.

For all of the vices that I've dived into, I thank god I never picked up smoking.

I've never understood the allure of smoking. What is it that gets people to start in the first place? It smells gross, it doesn't taste very good. It doesn't give you a buzz like alchohol, pot, or other drugs. Why do people start smoking in the first place?

In the past I guess it was because it was portrayed in advertising and popular culture as a grown-up, sophisticated thing to do. In more recent times the allure of sophistication has been removed, but maybe it's seen as a way to show oneself as an outsider type. Still, that seems like a flimsy pretense for starting a lifelong habit.

For all of the vices that I've dived into, I thank god I never picked up smoking.

i was 11 and my brother smoked. he was the coolest dude i knew.

james dean smoked and chics loved him

i was 11 and my brother smoked. he was the coolest dude i knew.

james dean smoked and chics loved him

Yeah Mike, I think that's how a lot of people got started. It seemed like a cool thing to do. It was the power of advertising, with movies lending a hand.

Yeah Mike, I think that's how a lot of people got started. It seemed like a cool thing to do. It was the power of advertising, with movies lending a hand.

and then you think you look cool too.

and then youre stuck because youre addicted. you KNOW it smells and you carry around gum with you to try and hide it but you know she can smell it. then you just dont care and youre a full on smoker. then you hate it because you cant quit.

i finally (knock on wood) quit..

This was a nice bump,I got to vote in a poll from six yrs ago:silly:

I smoke,have since I was 5 or 6,try to be considerate of others but the push to eliminate places open to smoking(public spaces,hotels,bars,restaurants and even my own property) kind of pisses me off..No, it does piss me off:D

Why can't a business decide on it's own if smoking is allowed?:chair:

I smoke,have since I was 5 or 6,try to be considerate of others but the push to eliminate places open to smoking(public spaces,hotels,bars,restaurants and even my own property) kind of pisses me off..No, it does piss me off:D

You started smoking when you were 5?

Oh it gives you a buzz. Trust me Freebasing Tobacco is great. I smoked at least a pack a day for 8 years. It got pretty bad I was up to 2 packs of Marlboro Reds a day by the time I was 19. I quit cold turkey when I was 23. And yeah looking back it was stupid to start but hey If you want to smoke go ahead. Your a big boy or girl if you smoke it your choice.:evilg:

Granted I was insanely young when I had my first cigarette but i grew up in the South it was inevitable that one day I would try it. I still kinda miss it. Once your addicted they taste really good. Even Newport Lights :D

I had my first smoke when I was 6 or 7 but didn't start "smoking" till I was 14. And by "smoking" I mean around a pack a day. Businesses can't decide because so many people hate being around smokers. So they get local laws passed to ban smoking. You can still smoke by doorways here but I bet that even changes soon. The only places I know that are still Smoker friendly are Vegas and North Carolina. The old Hilton was a smokers paradise.

Smoking is a horriable habbit, which serves no benifit. I don't and won't smoke. But everyone should be able to smoke with peace of mind. Smoking does NOT support terrorism.

LOL, You Opium lovers out there do though....I was so naive in college. :)

I smoked as a teenager because it was what my friends did when they smoked pot, drank, ate and were stressed. When kids were young and didnt care about destroying their body. As I got older, I realized that tobacco isnt worth it.

I dont mind people that smoke, hell if im drunk i may have one. What I dont like is how smokers are also litter bugs. Look at the ground at anytraffic light, any traffic light. It is disgusting, simply disgusting and they dont think twice about it. I wish the fine was higher. Its cool if you smoke, its cool if you smoke around me, but dont go throwing it in the street where it does nothing but create trash.

If people can get off of heroin (which is far more addictive than nicotine) you can stop smoking...

Can ,but what if you don't want to?:chair:

Stew I agree on the littering bs, there is too much of it in general

g.

The buzz. When you are a new smoker it's an incredible buzz, lightheadedness, etc. and then of course after that fades it becomes a nicotine addiction. Nicotine does makes you feel good and increases serotonin levels in the brain and relaxes you.

I quit in '05 and I feel better than ever, though I do miss it on occasion and still fight the urges.

The only way to truly stop smoking is to quit cold turkey and I've never been able to muster the discipline to make that happen. .

I thought that until I came across the Commit Lozenge. I had tried cold turkey and all the rest of the products but the lozenge actually worked. Of course cold turkey and the stop smoking aids won't help if you don't want to quit.

I never wanted to quit until my wife was pregnant... then I figured it was now or never.

I thought that until I came across the Commit Lozenge. I had tried cold turkey and all the rest of the products but the lozenge actually worked. Of course cold turkey and the stop smoking aids won't help if you don't want to quit.

I never wanted to quit until my wife was pregnant... then I figured it was now or never.

I use Commit. Started them on New Year's Day. Made it about 5 weeks before I cracked. The only problem I have is that if I swallow any saliva while using one, I get strong heartburn. I end up looking like I'm chewing tobacco because I'm spitting in a cup all the time. :)

I still use them when I'm away from home. I don't takes cigs out with me anymore. I'm going to get the prescription for Chantix. One of my best friends used that and he hasn't smoked in over a year.

I use Commit. Started them on New Year's Day. Made it about 5 weeks before I cracked. The only problem I have is that if I swallow any saliva while using one, I get strong heartburn. I end up looking like I'm chewing tobacco because I'm spitting in a cup all the time. :)

Yeah that happened to me many times.

My brother is on them now and I see that they have more flavors and a cool vial unlike the old packaging. Damn I quit too soon. lol

• 1 year later...

New Eco-Friendly Cigarettes Kill Destructive Human Beings Over Time

RICHMOND, VA—Executives at Philip Morris USA this week unveiled Marlboro Earth, a new eco-friendly cigarette that gradually eliminates the causes of global warming and environmental destruction at their source.

new-eco-ad-R_jpg_600x1000_q85.jpg

"By killing off the No. 1 threat to the environment, new Marlboro Earths will have a long-term effect on the overall health of our planet," Philip Morris spokesperson Janet Weiss said. "If everyone in America does their part and joins our new green-smoking movement, then together we can eradicate man's destructive practices once and for all."

According to a press release from Philip Morris, the new environmentally friendly cigarettes work by employing powerful carcinogens that accumulate in the lungs of smokers, slowly breaking down their vital organs and eliminating the danger posed to the overpopulated planet by the human race.

Because Marlboro Earths take decades to work, the company stresses that people should start using them as early as possible, ideally during childhood or adolescence, in order to maximize the product's effectiveness.

Click on the link for more

"I leave work three to five times a day to stand outside and help the environment," said longtime smoker Sam Davies, an office worker in Raleigh, NC. "And the best thing about them is they make saving the planet incredibly addictive. After only a few hours, I get the uncontrollable urge to go out and help the environment some more."

:rotflmao:

Best article I've read in a while.

I think smoking is repulsive, vile, stinks, leaves teeth disgustingly yellow, it is one of the leading causes of deaths when it could be prevented and there is not one benefit to smoking. Other then that I have no problem with it.
And 58% of ES agrees with you. Congratulations.

As for smoking, I feel a privately owned business should have the absolute right to determine who it wishes to server. People who do not agree with sharing space with smokers should go to another private establishment. Their sense of what they want, then, would be fulfilled without infringing upon the rights of others.

I think the issue here is, that say a bartender or waitress that doesn't smoke still has to deal with the smoke.

Archived