Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Joe already coaching scared?

Rodriggo

Wow, I wonder if he realized that ALMOST NO STARTERS played on offense. Our starting lineup is set, I believe it is what Joe Gibbs was saying THEY WANTED TO LOOK AT THE GUYS TRYING TO MAKE THE TEAM.

I can see the reactions now, JC goes out, plays poorly or gets hurt, then everyone is screaming at JG and asking why he played in a scrimmage.

That being said, I think we will have decent depth in all positions, especially RB. Our D line played decent. It will only get better from here.

and another reminder...Spurrier cared about the pre-season. Gibbs never has. I'll take the coach with 3 SB trophies Alex! :)

Correct, he doesn't care about the preseason. 90-91 season, we were 0-4 in the preseason, man, a lot of people on this board would have written them off before the year even started (that season ended pretty well), they would be calling for Mark Rypien's head and mad because JG didn't put Stan Humphries in.

Man we're not even talking about a preseason game, we are talking about a scrimmage, a scrimmage.

:laugh: Gotta love the Stadium.

Here's a clue. You won't see much of Campbell next week vs Tennessee either. You'll see the quarter you're supposed to, and you'll see vanilla.

And no matter what, please learn this phrase.

"It's only preseason. Preseason is utterly and completely meaningless."

~Bang

Yeah, I heard this last preseason. Preseason means nothing, they're playing vanilla, last time the Skins went 0-4 in preseason they won the SB, etc etc...

The only thing that's vanilla is the play calling. The rest is fundamentals. Last preseason this team couldn't tackle, couldn't block, couldn't catch and couldn't score. IIRC the 1st team offense didn't score a TD all 4 games. I'm not sure they scored a FG either. That all carried right into the regular season.

Apparently they're going to take different approach this year. Buges was on the radio the other day saying they plan to play the 1st strings longer this year and put more into winning those games to try and have a winning attitude carry into the season. So I guess it does mean something more to them then just looking at young guys.

Oh boy, here we go again with the "preseason means nothing" stuff and we haven't even played a preseason game.

Guess what, last year our performance in the preseason did indicate what kind of team we were. The "chicken littles" were right.

For every 1982 or 1991, I give you 2001 and 2006.

Preseason records mean nothing but performance can and often does mean something. Gibbs and his staff have already gone on record stating that they are going to try and have the team perform better this preseason than they did last year. To that end, if the Skins don't look good I feel we the fans have a right to be concerned. Of course other fans have a right to not worry and to dismiss it out of hand, just don't question the football intellect or devotion of your fellow Skins fans if they start squawking about problems they see.

I just can't believe after last season, that there are some people who still just choose to dismiss anything negative with the "it's only preseason" phrase and to insult anyone who expresses a concern they have. Thankfully I don't think the coaches and players are going to be that cavalier this season.

Here's a clue. You won't see much of Campbell next week vs Tennessee either. You'll see the quarter you're supposed to, and you'll see vanilla.

~Bang

While I agree about who and what we'll see, I have to disagree with your last line. It was implied earlier by coaches that we wanted to win in the preseason this year after seeing how it effected us last year commin out of the gate fairly flat.

Doesn't matter if the guys on the field are camp fodder, or most of the starting team, winning will always go farther in fireing up the team then a loos will. I don't look at a simple scrimage as fitting into the real preseason play, and the thread starter is a bit off in left field to say the least with his assumptions.

It all starts next week............

Preseason records mean nothing but performance can and often does mean something. Gibbs and his staff have already gone on record stating that they are going to try and have the team perform better this preseason than they did last year. To that end, if the Skins don't look good I feel we the fans have a right to be concerned.

The preseason hasn't even started yet.

I knew this was coming. I've been waiting for it actually. I believe he worked Jason all he needed to in 7 on 7's. He was out there the whole time, you just didn't see much of it b/c the TV coverage was Raven skewed due to it being their station.

I do believe that if you would read the thread about the Scrimmage, it's mentioned in there that Coach Gibbs used this to take a good look at the new folks and to see the ones trying to make the squad. I'm pretty sure Jason has a spot already don't you think?:D

As far as the 'D' looking bad in your opinion...It was a SCRIMMAGE..not an actual game and hardly any first stringers were on the field. Stop basing our season on a scrimmage that hardly means anything except giving coaches a way to trim the roster. No wonder so many folks have panic attacks...everything is magnified to the millionth tenth..:laugh:

Eight months with no football, with only fluff pieces about Campbell's growth to hold us over and when we finally get a chance to see our starting quarterback in some semblance of live football we are treated to the Mark and Todd show?!?! Where the hell was Jason Campbell during the 11v11 drills? QB was untouchable so where was he? Is Coach Joe that scared of injury that he won't put our starting QB on the field for a single down? What other reason is there? We need to see how this guy is progressing against a full squad defense? Yes or no? He's an unproven second year starter right? Give us one series for *****'* sake. It all depends on him because guess what, Brunell and Collins don't ****, they hella ****. But we already knew that so why prove it for the umpteenth time? What was the downside of letting Campbell have a couple of plays? There certainly was no upside.

Ofcourse I'm panicking because deep down I know that Coach Joe wants to go with Brunell this year and will not hesitate to pull a "Ramsey" and bench Campbell at the first sign of trouble. Why else would he have Brunell out there? It's Campbell's team now, he needs the most experience possible and he doesn't get a single snap? WTF? What is Brunell going to show you? That he can still hit the juice box guy square in the face, ten yards out of bounds on an out pattern? that he can overthrow every slant, underthrow every hitch? and lob every screen? He's ******* old and he *****! Loyalty has a limit so cut him now. At least then we'll know that whatever they do with Campbell in the preseason there is a 0% chance of him not being our starter this year.

By the way, Coach Gregg, the defense looked like ****.

Unbelievable...................:doh:

Campbell sees better stuff in practice. The scrimmage is for borderline roster cuts. Brunell was in there just for a warm body, not to get him some PT.

Judging by your post and your signature, you seem to just love to undermine your team. Why is that?

:laugh: :doh: :laugh: :doh: :laugh: :doh:

~Bang

Unless you are Steve Spurrier,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :doh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh: :laugh: :laugh: :doh: :laugh: :rolleyes:

I love this board.

It's a scrimmage for god sake. Wait at least until the first real preseason game to start with this stuff.

It amazes me how people are ready to write off the team on AUGUST 5th. I've waited eight long months for football to be back, why can't people be optimistic? If you're not, what the hell is the point of being a fan???

While I agree about who and what we'll see, I have to disagree with your last line. It was implied earlier by coaches that we wanted to win in the preseason this year after seeing how it effected us last year commin out of the gate fairly flat.

Doesn't matter if the guys on the field are camp fodder, or most of the starting team, winning will always go farther in fireing up the team then a loos will. I don't look at a simple scrimage as fitting into the real preseason play, and the thread starter is a bit off in left field to say the least with his assumptions.

It all starts next week............

Pete you have followed the Skins along time, when do you remember Coach Joe Gibbs spilling his guts, playbook or going all out for preseason? Yeah, he probably feels playing alittle better and maybe winning a few would help the confidence this year going into the season, I would be totally surprised if we had a winning record in this preseason. I see us winning the last one gettting ready to roll for the real deal.

Pete you have followed the Skins along time, when do you remember Coach Joe Gibbs spilling his guts, playbook or going all out for preseason? Yeah, he probably feels playing alittle better and maybe winning a few would help the confidence this year going into the season, I would be totally surprised if we had a winning record in this preseason. I see us winning the last one gettting ready to roll for the real deal.

Yes I have, and one thing I have learned about Gibbs is, he is willing to change the way he dose some things to get a desired result. While I don't expect to see the playbook opened up, I do expect the coaching staff to push the guys harder to gain success in the preseason.

You know me, I'm to lazy to dig up the articles where it was said that the staff wanted a more successful preseason to give the team the confidence before the games start to count.

A SCRIMMAGE! Hello!!!!!!

You guys are unreal. He has even said this offseason will be dramatically different. Joe has said the starters will play more. They will play to win games. They will not run cookie cutter plain jane plays. They will be using the season playbook, they learned from last time and will not make the same mistake twice.

Joe has said this himself, all of it. Yet you guys still feel the need to doom and gloom over this? I just dont get it.

Eight months with no football, with only fluff pieces about Campbell's growth to hold us over and when we finally get a chance to see our starting quarterback in some semblance of live football we are treated to the Mark and Todd show?!?! Where the hell was Jason Campbell during the 11v11 drills? QB was untouchable so where was he? Is Coach Joe that scared of injury that he won't put our starting QB on the field for a single down? What other reason is there? We need to see how this guy is progressing against a full squad defense? Yes or no? He's an unproven second year starter right? Give us one series for *****'* sake. It all depends on him because guess what, Brunell and Collins don't ****, they hella ****. But we already knew that so why prove it for the umpteenth time? What was the downside of letting Campbell have a couple of plays? There certainly was no upside.

Ofcourse I'm panicking because deep down I know that Coach Joe wants to go with Brunell this year and will not hesitate to pull a "Ramsey" and bench Campbell at the first sign of trouble. Why else would he have Brunell out there? It's Campbell's team now, he needs the most experience possible and he doesn't get a single snap? WTF? What is Brunell going to show you? That he can still hit the juice box guy square in the face, ten yards out of bounds on an out pattern? that he can overthrow every slant, underthrow every hitch? and lob every screen? He's ******* old and he *****! Loyalty has a limit so cut him now. At least then we'll know that whatever they do with Campbell in the preseason there is a 0% chance of him not being our starter this year.

By the way, Coach Gregg, the defense looked like ****.

All of the above came from a scrimmage. Wow. :doh:

Archived