Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Joe already coaching scared?

Rodriggo

Eight months with no football, .
... and we still have "no football"

Had Brunell "lit it up" with a stellar scrimmage performance, the Marky-doom mongers would have been the first to point out that it was only a glorified-no-count practice session.

Might also consider the superfluous two vet backup situation, one should go, which one do they keep? Give 'em both an extended look-see to justify a decision.

My hope is that we soon have only one vet backup and see some solid competition between Bramlet and Palmer.

Campbell will get his reps and Gibbs "should" hang-in with his young QB throughout the season (this time).

The defense, who knows.

Do the young linemen step up?

Do the old farts stay healthy?

Does the talented backfield support the line theory hold water?

Williams is betting is reputation on this, isn't he.

IMHO it's still a bit early to get overly gastric about these proceedings, a few games into the real season is a different matter, however. :)

Quarterbacks have been a problem since Gibbs has been here, to me it is understandable why someone would stress.

What? QBs have been a problem since Gibbs left in 93. And I don't understand why people get so stressed out over a frickin' scrimmage. I mean, maybe if we had injuries that could change the course of our season in that scrimmage (like Portis, Moss, or Cambell), but there weren't. So, I DON'T understand why someone would post a thread like this simply based on a silly scrimmage.

Eight months with no football, with only fluff pieces about Campbell's growth to hold us over and when we finally get a chance to see our starting quarterback in some semblance of live football we are treated to the Mark and Todd show?!?! Where the hell was Jason Campbell during the 11v11 drills? QB was untouchable so where was he? Is Coach Joe that scared of injury that he won't put our starting QB on the field for a single down? What other reason is there? We need to see how this guy is progressing against a full squad defense? Yes or no? He's an unproven second year starter right? Give us one series for *****'* sake. It all depends on him because guess what, Brunell and Collins don't ****, they hella ****. But we already knew that so why prove it for the umpteenth time? What was the downside of letting Campbell have a couple of plays? There certainly was no upside.

Ofcourse I'm panicking because deep down I know that Coach Joe wants to go with Brunell this year and will not hesitate to pull a "Ramsey" and bench Campbell at the first sign of trouble. Why else would he have Brunell out there? It's Campbell's team now, he needs the most experience possible and he doesn't get a single snap? WTF? What is Brunell going to show you? That he can still hit the juice box guy square in the face, ten yards out of bounds on an out pattern? that he can overthrow every slant, underthrow every hitch? and lob every screen? He's ******* old and he *****! Loyalty has a limit so cut him now. At least then we'll know that whatever they do with Campbell in the preseason there is a 0% chance of him not being our starter this year.

By the way, Coach Gregg, the defense looked like ****.

Wow, I'd like you to give me the 45 seconds of my life it me to read that.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Oh boy, here we go again with the "preseason means nothing" stuff and we haven't even played a preseason game.

Guess what, last year our performance in the preseason did indicate what kind of team we were. The "chicken littles" were right.

For every 1982 or 1991, I give you 2001 and 2006.

Since you left out 1987 I will say this year is our year then! :silly:

While I dont agree with everthing the thread starter said, I do see is angle. I was not impressed at all from what I saw from the skins yesterday. They lacked passion and fire. I dont care who was on the field, starter or not. You practice the way you play. Regardless if was just a scrimmage.

The Ravens looked like they where in better shape, They looked sharp and crisp. They wher flying around ball.

Bottom line is this. The Redskins should be an angry football team for what happend last year. They should be playing with a chip on there shoulder. I did not see that yesterday. We look like a team that was 5-11 and the ravens looked like a team that was 13-3.

They better come out next week and show me something thats all I have to say.

did anyone see those video interviews of Bill Walsh earlier this week on the ESPN tribute when he was discussing football strategy? one of the things he mentioned was how SF was able to gain momentum late in the season specifically because they did not bull rush their players in the preseason as guys like Buddy Ryan and Chuck Knox did.

does anyone here really think the season rests on how many reps Clinton Portis gets in a controlled scrimmage?

it is much more important for Rocky McIntosh, Stephon Heyer, Landry and a host of other younger players to get time and that's how Gibbs used this scrimmage.

I'm hoping this thread gives all the negative nancies something to be ashamed of.

Hey, one can hope right?

Hey, mods! I suggest a slight change in the rating system for threads. Instead of one star meaning "terrible", we should give it this icon:

:pooh:

So it'll go Five Stars, Four Stars, Three Stars, Two Stars, Crap. That's all. :D

did anyone see those video interviews of Bill Walsh earlier this week on the ESPN tribute when he was discussing football strategy? one of the things he mentioned was how SF was able to gain momentum late in the season specifically because they did not bull rush their players in the preseason as guys like Buddy Ryan and Chuck Knox did.

does anyone here really think the season rests on how many reps Clinton Portis gets in a controlled scrimmage?

it is much more important for Rocky McIntosh, Stephon Heyer, Landry and a host of other younger players to get time and that's how Gibbs used this scrimmage.

I understand what you are saying Bulldog but from what I saw and the players they had on the field yesterday they did not look sharp and they lacked passion. I played the game all be it I never played in the nfl but one thing I remember coaches telling me is tha" go all out and if you are going to make mistakes make them going full speed" I did not see that yesterday. what I saw is what we saw last year. Guys blowing covrage and standing around looking like they dont care. no energy no fire. That pass rush yesterday was none exsistant again.

You cannot compare bill Walsh and 49ers to this team because the 49ers had far more better talent than we have. His teams had coaches on the field and players who where great leaders. So when you have talent like that you do not not need to run them in the ground. They are self motivated and they had a drive to win that was like no other. We dont have that. Who is the vocal leader on the skins? Who is the coach on the field?

l watched the post-scrimmage interview with Gibbs and overall he acknowledged that this was all about trying out 'possibles' rather than starters. He also admitted that some things that go on in scrimmage are artificial and not like a true game situation, so you are looking more at formations, patterns run etc rather than if a pass was completed and so on. I was ok with that.

One thing that stuck in my mind was his comment about Defence. Whilst he talked about having a mix of vets and new guys being tried out he acknowledged that what was happening out there - in particular a drive for a TD - was 'not good'. Thats the one thing I keep coming back to myself. In 'coach speak' I think he was concerned with what was happening.

As for the Portis knee, its at least a minor concern that he seems to be in a loop now of can play-cant play-can play-cant play. We'll find out when he runs the ball, but the comment on the D made me sit up.

:2cents:

:logo:

I think the Redskins have on-field leaders. I don't think you can discount Fletcher, Portis, Randy Thomas, Griffin, and others because they didn't take part in the first scrimmage against Baltimore :)

No, the Redskins aren't a team coming off 2 or 3 Super Bowl wins in the past 7 or 8 years like the 1980's 49ers, but then again there isn't a team in the NFC that fits that bill.

The current NFC champ is a team with a questionable quarterback and a limited number of playmakers on offense. The Bears would never have even made the playoffs 20 years ago in the NFC with the Redskins, Giants, 49ers and others there year after year with proven, balanced teams.

You didn't heard Gibbs say they had to do something about all the QBs they have on their roster? How does playing Campbell today,help them determine who to get rid of? Campbell's the only one 100% not going anywhere,and hes got 4 preseason games to show what hes got.

I hope the original poster read this post. It was a scrimmage to evaluate bubble guys and get rid of at least one QB. Chill out.

The OP's conclusions seem a bit "premature." :doh:

Instead of dwelling on who didn't play enough, or who didn't play well -- maybe we should concentrate on who DID do well, and made the most of their opportunty at this scrimmage. After all, this type of thing is what gives the Redskins a chance to unearth some new talent for this year's roster. (I understand that one of the backup RBs and one of the DTs had some highlights. Even Palmer showed something. )

So how did the offensive and defensive linemen do? What about other rookies and walkons? Did anyone's performance stand out? If so, maybe we should be talking about those guys, instead of pontificating on the wisdom of limiting scrimmage time for the veterans and starters.

Frankly, I suspect that Gibbs & Co. are very experienced in figuring out how to run a pre-season training camp strategy. Consequently, I'm not the least bit worried on how we go about our pre-season in getting ready for the regular season.

Yesterday was about the guys who did well....The others will be in some other line of work in the next few weeks.

It was also about deciding which QB to cut, and he won't have the initials JC, so why get caught up on that?

Finally, maybe my Tivo was screwed up, but I saw a lot of good things out of a lot of guys...including some stiff D when the Browns got down near the goal line.

Be happy.

Archived