Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout thread

Switchgear

Yesterday: 10 mile bike in the morning, back/biceps/abs in the afternoon

Today: Laid on a couch with my leg elevated and ice on my ankle, sucking down ibuprofen. Severely sprained my ankle yesterday evening during volleyball game. Jumped and came down on someone's foot. :doh: :(

Maxed out on bench yesterday on only two days rest. My tri's were still hurting me and my chest was still a little sore but I made a deal with my buddy that we'd max before the 18th of June. Dunno why but that was his goal date. Anyway, after getting here and barely being able to bench 205 I was able to get up 250. Feels pretty good especially after only about a 5-6 weeks. My buddy got 300, the most he's ever benched. Everything seems to be getting stronger. After I get a little more mass on I'm going to go through a six week cut phase. My goal is 190-205 depending on how much muscle I'm carrying around. Right now I'm around 225 so I have a little bit to go.

Usually 4-6 miles on the ol treadmill and a couple hundred crunches with varying amounts of weight as resistance as many times as I can during the week. I average about five times a week, depending on my work schedule. I would like to go every day, but sometimes it just does not work. Belonging to a 24-hour gym really does help though, as I was there until a little after 3 this morning.

Weekly Schedule:

Monday - HIIT (suicides) for 20 mins + 25 mins abs (upper abs, lower abs, exterior obliques, interior obliques, transverse abdominus, and lower back)

Tuesday - Circuit Training for 25 mins

Wednesday - Long Distance Run (4 miles) + 10 mins abs (use weights)

Thursday - Circuit Training for 25 mins

Friday - Off

Saturday - HIIT (rowing machine) + 25 mins abs

Sunday - Circuit Training for 25 mins

Also, is it better to do 3 sets of 4-6 reps with a higher weight or 3 sets of 8-10 reps with a lower weight for bench press? I've been stuck for a couple of months now.

Try 5 sets of 5 with about 80% of your 1RM for about 4 weeks.

Any compound exercise is awesome in my book. My favorite is the one-arm dumbbell snatch. You take a dumbbell, and place in front of you while you assume a squat stance. place your off arm behind your back. Grab the dumbbell, and snatch it and swing it above your head. Do like 8-10 reps per arm. It is a KILLER exercise for your entire back.

As far as bench plateaus, it's all about variation. the 5x5 is a great way to just add poundage which should increase your 1RM.

I used this program about 7 years ago and added 50lbs to my max bench by the end of it. I really recommend it if you're caught up in the numbers thing. http://www.criticalbench.com/MM2K.htm It only takes 6 weeks to complete the program.

Also... what does everyone think of powercleans?

They're great for building up strength in alot of different areas of the body, especially the shoulders where most of the lift is done. However, I'm not a big fan of them simply because the form is something that takes some time to learn and one bad move could mean back injury. Now I know that that can be said about most free weight exercises, but it's been my experience and it's my opinion that those are basically asking for it. A higher risk exercise when there are other, less risky exercises that can attain the same goal. Just my 2 cents.

As for the bench, that's a tough one. Depends on build, other exercises you do for the rest of the body, yada yada. I do 3 sets of bench in a decending pyramid once every 10 days. I only do core exercises that work the most muscle groups at the same time, (compound lifts), and do not isolate the arms until 2 days after the heavy upper body program is done. After that, it's a light and medium day inbetween the heavy days. Working on light weight and higher reps and different exercises to help the muscles recover, build strength in the tendons, and build endurance. The medium day is the day for dumbelss and moderate reps, (10 reps, 2 sets), and that seems to help isolate the muscles a bit more and help the supporting muscles in the core lifts. That works for me but I'm an ol...er....not quite as young as others guy. :)

I'd say ease of a bit LSS. You're hitting the wall and that means a plateau. Your body is getting used to what you're doing and it's not responding like it was before. It's also a time when overtraining can come into play and that can lead to no or backwards progress and even sometimes injury. Change things up, lighten them up for a couple of weeks and even take a week off. Then come back and work into some heavy stuff, but change the set rep routine and an exercise or 2. Again, just my 2 cents.

As for me, yesterday was the HIIT and light day. I sprint, (gasp), some, then do 2 sets of the machines at 15 reps. Never stopping really. Then back to the sprints afterwards.

Just got back from today's workout. It was going to be a run day, (2 miles), but decided to take a drive up into the mountains to get some pics. Ended up hiking a bunch so that counts as a good aerobic day, (especially at around 8000 feet + above sea level). Tomorrow, back in the gym.

(looks at above). Whoa. That's the most I've written on anything in..........

get back to ya on that. ;)

Ok... someone please give me a guideline to follow to increase my bench. I've kinda leveled off. I saw Raub's advice... 5 sets of 5 with 80% of your max for four weeks. What do you do after that when the 4 weeks is up...90%?

Google "tabata" and try that. The method destroys plateaus and generally kicks yer ass. Its great.

Yeah, so here's the BS I'm currently dealing with at my gym- I work out at this place called Planet Fitness, it's been great to me the last couple years; only 10 bucks a month, tons of hot girls all the time, and I use it whenever I'm home in Orlando on summer/winter/Spring break from Tallahassee (so about 5 months out of the year). Well, last week I went into the gym for chest/back day and found out they had removed all dumbbells weighing 65 pounds and up. I asked around and found out it was a new corporate policy because some people had complained about other people dropping those "heavy" weights, so they got taken out due to all the complaints.

Now, I think it's pretty obvious that the only people that would complain about anyone dropping the weight would be someone that doesn't actually USE said weight, and thus doesn't understand how hard it might be to gently put down 80 pound dumbells after doing some flat bench presses with them. I've never seen anyone flat out drop weights from high up, just the normal "lean upwards/forwards drop the weight" move from about half a foot off the ground like you'd see at any college weight room or any other gym. I was told to write a letter to the address on the website, and I did, complaining that it doesn't make sense for people who don't even use these weights to complain about something that's not actually hurting them in anyway, let alone take away all those weights due to those complaints, and it's pretty much a big F-U to the customers that use those weights like myself. They already have a system in place where if you drop weights blatently, they sound this big alarm and you pretty much are made into an ass by being called out in front of everyone, and someone will come over to you and ask you politely not to do it again.

After a lengthy e-mail about all that, it took a week before I finally got this back:

Chris,

Thank you for your input and I understand your disappointment but I want you to know that this was a decision that was made in what we thought was the best interest of the facility based on corporate policy and was not based on a group of individuals. I am sorry for your disappointment and hope that we will be able to make it up to you in other areas. Thanks again for your input and have a nice weekend.

Thanks

Eric Dore

Managing Partner

Planet Fitness

Blah blah blah

Oh yeah, great, like that's not basically telling me I can go screw myself. The problem is, the only other gym close to me costs 40 bucks a month, and I'll really only be using gyms here in Orlando for about another two months before I permanently move up to school anyway. So right now I'm pretty much stuck with barbell exercises and being creative with dumbbells- this past Monday I did some drop down sets of Incline Press, going from reps of the 60 pounders immediately to reps with 35 pounders, but I'm still trying to get over how badly I'm getting screwed here. I've never heard of a gym doing something as ridiculous as taking away weights from grown adults.

Ah, rant over.

Archived