Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Workout thread

Switchgear

They're great for building up strength in alot of different areas of the body, especially the shoulders where most of the lift is done. However, I'm not a big fan of them simply because the form is something that takes some time to learn and one bad move could mean back injury. Now I know that that can be said about most free weight exercises, but it's been my experience and it's my opinion that those are basically asking for it. A higher risk exercise when there are other, less risky exercises that can attain the same goal. Just my 2 cents.

As for the bench, that's a tough one. Depends on build, other exercises you do for the rest of the body, yada yada. I do 3 sets of bench in a decending pyramid once every 10 days. I only do core exercises that work the most muscle groups at the same time, (compound lifts), and do not isolate the arms until 2 days after the heavy upper body program is done. After that, it's a light and medium day inbetween the heavy days. Working on light weight and higher reps and different exercises to help the muscles recover, build strength in the tendons, and build endurance. The medium day is the day for dumbelss and moderate reps, (10 reps, 2 sets), and that seems to help isolate the muscles a bit more and help the supporting muscles in the core lifts. That works for me but I'm an ol...er....not quite as young as others guy. :)

I'd say ease of a bit LSS. You're hitting the wall and that means a plateau. Your body is getting used to what you're doing and it's not responding like it was before. It's also a time when overtraining can come into play and that can lead to no or backwards progress and even sometimes injury. Change things up, lighten them up for a couple of weeks and even take a week off. Then come back and work into some heavy stuff, but change the set rep routine and an exercise or 2. Again, just my 2 cents.

As for me, yesterday was the HIIT and light day. I sprint, (gasp), some, then do 2 sets of the machines at 15 reps. Never stopping really. Then back to the sprints afterwards.

Just got back from today's workout. It was going to be a run day, (2 miles), but decided to take a drive up into the mountains to get some pics. Ended up hiking a bunch so that counts as a good aerobic day, (especially at around 8000 feet + above sea level). Tomorrow, back in the gym.

(looks at above). Whoa. That's the most I've written on anything in..........

get back to ya on that. ;)

Thanks for the great advice PCS... I appreciate it.

Today:

Sqauts, stiff leg dead lift, calf raises, thigh extensions, hamstring curls, vertimax.

Thanks for the great advice PCS... I appreciate it.

Today:

Sqauts, stiff leg dead lift, calf raises, thigh extensions, hamstring curls, vertimax.

You bet. Hope it helps. :)

Looks less painful now Raub. That's a good thing.

Running day today. 2 miles maybe more.

Tonight I did:

Inside grip E-Z curls

21's DB Hammer curls

Skull Crushers

Overhead Press

DB Shrugs

Deltoid/Rotator Cuff raises

Pretty good pump/weight marks on all of them, I was happy with it. Tomorrow I'll run, barring any shin splints like I'm used to.

Okay. So bagged yesterday's workout. However, decided on a hike this am and afternoon. Stewart Falls to be exact. From trailhead to falls,around 2.5 miles. About half of it some decent uphill climbing, (don't look down in a few spots). Plus some assorted hiking to get some more pics. Call it a little over 5 miles in all today. That counts I think. :)

Yesterday: Heavy Day. Core lifts. Decending pyramid,(8,6,4. Each set to failure).

Bent arm,standing DB lateral raises

Barbell bench press

Military press, (bench at slight incline so that shoulder and upper chest get targeted).

Front Lat Pulldown

Shrugs,(shoulders back, then lift up. No rolling).

Abs in-between sets.

Today/tonight. 2 mile run.

I've been slacking on this thread.

Monday: Back/Traps/Biceps/Abs

7 mile bike ride (ankle still very tender, but getting there)

Tuesday: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders/Abs

Today: Hope to do 10 miles on the bike tonight if the ankle feels ok. :fingersx:

Ran about 2 miles yesterday, then tweaked my knee. :mad: Had to walk home, it sucked. Going to actually lift today for the 2nd time in a month since i cant run.

Honestly, ive been running pretty hard, im somewhat surprised it took me this long to sustain one of those minor BS injuries.

Just got back about a half hour ago. Rare Saturday appearance at the gym. Legs and arms.

Closegrip bench

Straight Bar curls

Close grip EZ bar curls

Standing DB French Curls

Seated forearmcurls

Squats

Seated Calf raises

Leg curls

Abs worked in throughout workout

3 sets each. 8-6-4 reps.

Cut just a little short because of brother in Vegas calling,(just got off the phone as a matter of fact :laugh: ) but overall, a good workout.

Going to change things up on the heavy workout 10 or so days from now. Going to go to "block" sets. Sets of 6 for a few weeks, then 4, then 2. See what the "old man" can accomplish from there. ;)

Ran 11 miles this morning, worked on house/car the rest of the day. I'm exhausted. But I ran 25 miles total this week, and 91 for the month. That's something at least.

Damn, you do like 3 times what i do. :finger: :laugh:

Anyways, yesterday i ran 3 miles and played a 2 hour game of........kickball. :)

It was actually really good exercise because the game was co-ed and i had to cover 2/3 of the outfield myself. :movefast:

Damn, you do like 3 times what i do. :finger: :laugh:

Anyways, yesterday i ran 3 miles and played a 2 hour game of........kickball. :)

It was actually really good exercise because the game was co-ed and i had to cover 2/3 of the outfield myself. :movefast:

Hey, I'm training for a marathon. I don't have much choice in the matter. If it's any consolation, I'm slow as molasses. The thick liquid, not the poster. I wish I could run 8(ish) miles in an hour like rtbasye, but I'm in the 5 to 6 mph range still. I put on 30 pounds too much and am slowly working it off.

I would love to play kickball again, relive my 6th grade glory years. It's a shame there aren't any leagues where I am.

Oh, and uh, 4 miles Sunday, rest today. I do a three week cycle where I increase mileage between 5 and 10 percent over the previous week, then I do a "step back" week where I drop my mileage about 20 percent. This is the step back week, and I intend to enjoy it.

I used this program about 7 years ago and added 50lbs to my max bench by the end of it. I really recommend it if you're caught up in the numbers thing. http://www.criticalbench.com/MM2K.htm It only takes 6 weeks to complete the program.

I love this workout. Since you have posted it I've seen huge gains in both bench and squats. Doing those lifts twice a week I think is more effective atleast in my case. Having something to follow has been huge.

"Medium" Day today. Dumbell workout. 2 sets, 12 reps. Working in abs inbetween sets.

Straight Arm DB Raise, (lateral and to the front).

DB Bench

DB Military press,( done with a slight incline to help target upper pecs as well).

DB Pull-Overs

DB Curls

Tricep pull downs with rope, (only non DB exercise in the workout).

Started with some HIIT on the track before hand.

It's Miller time. ;)

ok guys...Im trying to figure out what is best for me to do here. I REALLY want to work out, but cant seem to find the right thing. Maybe you can help.

I have a treadmill and a bike and I am close to a place I can hike regularly. I'm not the weight lifting type...just not for me. The running KILLED my knees when I was doing it every other day, but I was running on the street.

I dont care about bulking up...I just want to get healthy. I also need to find a way to work it into my schedule. I'm usually up at 7 and not home til 6. I drive an hour each way to work each day. I have a normal two days off per week. Im in the mountains (although nothing like PCS).

Anyway..thats some info...what types of reccomendations do you have? Any suggestions would be great.

thanks!:logo:

You might be able to run without hurting your knees if you work on a couple of things. Or running may just not be for you. But if you are willing to give it a try again, the things that generally mess people up when they start out are

1. Bad/worn out shoes. It's worth the money if you can spare $40, to get real running shoes. Sports Authority has 3 models for that price, all seemed decent to me when I checked them out.

2. Poor stride mechanics. If your feet are hitting the ground hard (you can hear them slap the pavement) then your form probably isn't very good. Take short strides and don't lift your feet any higher than you have to. One trick that helped me was to imagine there was a rope attached to my waist pulling me forward. For whatever reason, it made me a smoother runner.

I hope you can make running work for you. I've lost 15 pounds running over the last two months, no dieting. Whatever you do, make sure you don't injure yourself.

You might be able to run without hurting your knees if you work on a couple of things. Or running may just not be for you. But if you are willing to give it a try again, the things that generally mess people up when they start out are

1. Bad/worn out shoes. It's worth the money if you can spare $40, to get real running shoes. Sports Authority has 3 models for that price, all seemed decent to me when I checked them out.

2. Poor stride mechanics. If your feet are hitting the ground hard (you can hear them slap the pavement) then your form probably isn't very good. Take short strides and don't lift your feet any higher than you have to. One trick that helped me was to imagine there was a rope attached to my waist pulling me forward. For whatever reason, it made me a smoother runner.

I hope you can make running work for you. I've lost 15 pounds running over the last two months, no dieting. Whatever you do, make sure you don't injure yourself.

learn something new everyday...I do have a bad stride now that you say that...sounds like I need to "shuffle" a bit more instead of "galloping":laugh: :logo:

thanks

Archived