Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

I actually never saw the last two Matrix movies. I was happy with the first one haha. Interesting that it might be sort of similar.

Very similar, in more ways than one (at least with the ending I got).

Great choice, The Last of Us blew me away, it's amazing. I think it's perfect.

Yeah. I'll probably save TEG's Dark Souls recommendation until the very end, considering that popular opinion suggests that I will be tempted to take a hammer to my PS3 while playing it. If true, it'll be perfect timing.

By the way, you should probably check out the last two Matrix films.  :o

They aren't quite on par with the original, but very good nonetheless.

Very similar, in more ways than one (at least with the ending I got).

Yeah. I'll probably save TEG's Dark Souls recommendation until the very end, considering that popular opinion suggests that I will be tempted to take a hammer to my PS3 while playing it. If true, it'll be perfect timing.

By the way, you should probably check out the last two Matrix films. :o

They aren't quite on par with the original, but very good nonetheless.

That alone intrigued me enough to want to watch the last two now. I'll try to find them and give them a look over.

Keep me posted on TLOU. I need to make another play through myself. I don't think it will ever get old.

Damn. I had no idea TLOU was even survival horror. I tend to read a few articles when a game is close to release, and then I shut it down. I like surprises.

I may even throw RE6 onto the list as well. I wanted to play it but it got so many negative reviews that I turned my attention to Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs

I don't think so. I thought it struck a great balance of survival horror feel mixed with action...just not RE6 over the top ridiculous action.

The problem for me is that there wasn't much depth to the gameplay. I mean, the action looked really nice and cinematic, but the gameplay itself was rather repetitive. The puzzles especially lacked depth. Everything consisted of moving ladders and pushing Ellie around on a floating plank.

As for Survival-Horror, it certainly didn't feel like a Survival-horror to me from a gameplay perspective. Felt like any other generic third-person shooter from a gameplay perspective. I never got that feeling of tension in game that I've gotten from other survival-horror games. It didn't help that they had checkpoints every 5 feet so there was no consequence for failing, and it was really easy to not die anyways, so I never got the survival vibe from the gameplay.

The story gave the horror-vibe really well, though. I'd say that The Last Of Us from a story/story-telling perspective was a better than any of the zombie movies we've gotten in a long time, though. I heard they're making a movie based on the game, and the writer of the game's story is taking the lead on the project, so I have hopes that they can make a really good movie.

Gameplay-wise, I'm gonna assume we have differing opinions on what is good gameplay. I've been unimpressed by a lot of these third person cover-shooters. The gameplay pretty much consists of hiding behind something and then popping out to quickly pop someone in the head. I felt that way about GTA IV and V, and Infamous. TLOU enhanced the feel a little bit by making the melee attacks cinematic, but that really doesn't mean much from a gameplay perspective.

Damn. I had no idea TLOU was even survival horror. I tend to read a few articles when a game is close to release, and then I shut it down. I like surprises.

I'd characterize it as an action-horror. The story has a bit of a survival feel to it, but going by the gameplay it's an action-horror.

I may even throw RE6 onto the list as well. I wanted to play it but it got so many negative reviews that I turned my attention to Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs

RE6 was a mess haha. As a Fan of what the series used to be, I'd stay away.

.Gameplay-wise, I'm gonna assume we have differing opinions on what is good gameplay. I've been unimpressed by a lot of these third person cover-shooters. The gameplay pretty much consists of hiding behind something and then popping out to quickly pop someone in the head. I felt that way about GTA IV and V, and Infamous. TLOU enhanced the feel a little bit by making the melee attacks cinematic, but that really doesn't mean much from a gameplay perspective.I'd characterize it as an action-horror. The story has a bit of a survival feel to it, but going by the gameplay it's an action-horror.

I don't know. We agree it's an action game with horror elements. I think the limited ammo and supplies, limited health/instant kills, constant sneaking around and sometimes trying to avoid enemies all together due to your limitations mixed with the atmosphere and presentation makes it survival horror enough for me. There is quite a bit of tension sneaking around with a bunch of clickers nearby and in some other situations too even with other humans. Survival, in particular making sure Ellie survives, is the entire point.

I don't know. We agree it's an action game with horror elements. I think the limited ammo and supplies, limited health/instant kills, constant sneaking around and sometimes trying to avoid enemies all together due to your limitations mixed with the atmosphere and presentation makes it survival horror enough for me. There is quite a bit of tension sneaking around with a bunch of clickers nearby and in some other situations too even with other humans. Survival, in particular making sure Ellie survives, is the entire point.

The problem was that I didn't feel tense when sneaking around, because there were no repercussions for being caught. You'd just be sent back ten feet to try again. As for Survival, in the sense you described it, pretty much every game is survival. Making sure she "survives" is a story element, though, more than a gameplay element. When I think survival-horror, I think of an underpowered protagonist and high amounts of tension. For an extreme, I'd point to the Fatal Frame series, which I could only play in about 1-hour bursts because the tension just wore me out. Amnesia would be another example of a game I consider survival-horror with a protagonist can't fight back at all; if you see a monster, you hide or run (though as much as I enjoyed the game, it became a bit repetitive and should've been shorter or branched out a bit more). TLOU certainly isn't what's become of Resident Evil (a shame what's been done to that franchise), but I'd hardly use that as the criteria that separates action from survival.

Don't get me wrong, the game was worth playing due to the well done story (an aspect I can't stress enough as I'd been interested in zombies since before they became the latest fad, but 90% of the zombie stories out there are cheesy and/or terrible). The engine was solid and the controls were tight (except sometimes when bashing in a clicker's face with a brick, Joel would just kinda stop and allow the auto-death animation to start), and the presentation added a brutality to combat, but overall the gameplay felt like just another cover-shooter.

Damn... Just checked out Demons Souls. Got a massive rating from IGN (9.4) Seems like a really fun premise. And I also miss the days back when I nearly wanted to commit murder because of how difficult a game was. Seems like a good challenge.

Yeah, with games these days always trying to capture a broader audience, games keep getting easier. But there are still games out there that'll make you want to pull your hair out. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor kicked my ass all the way to the last level (which I've been unable to beat). For something a bit more free, Monster Hunter is a pretty punishing game where you (surprise!) hunt monsters. They won't go down without a fight.

The new Southpark game is $42.99 while supplies last at Amazon, today only.

http://www.amazon.com/South-Park-Stick-Truth-Xbox-microsoft/dp/B006IOAHTQ/ref=br_lf_m_8524689011_1_2_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=1752054822&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=8524689011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0M0VCGYQQH0D10Z88DXB

It's for both the 360 and PS3.

Damn... Just checked out Demons Souls. Got a massive rating from IGN (9.4) Seems like a really fun premise. And I also miss the days back when I nearly wanted to commit murder because of how difficult a game was. Seems like a good challenge.

If you play, shields up at all times.

The problem was that I didn't feel tense when sneaking around, because there were no repercussions for being caught. You'd just be sent back ten feet to try again. As for Survival, in the sense you described it, pretty much every game is survival. Making sure she "survives" is a story element, though, more than a gameplay element. When I think survival-horror, I think of an underpowered protagonist and high amounts of tension. For an extreme, I'd point to the Fatal Frame series, which I could only play in about 1-hour bursts because the tension just wore me out. Amnesia would be another example of a game I consider survival-horror with a protagonist can't fight back at all; if you see a monster, you hide or run (though as much as I enjoyed the game, it became a bit repetitive and should've been shorter or branched out a bit more). TLOU certainly isn't what's become of Resident Evil (a shame what's been done to that franchise), but I'd hardly use that as the criteria that separates action from survival.

Don't get me wrong, the game was worth playing due to the well done story (an aspect I can't stress enough as I'd been interested in zombies since before they became the latest fad, but 90% of the zombie stories out there are cheesy and/or terrible). The engine was solid and the controls were tight (except sometimes when bashing in a clicker's face with a brick, Joel would just kinda stop and allow the auto-death animation to start), and the presentation added a brutality to combat, but overall the gameplay felt like just another cover-shooter.

Well I just finished playing Outlast so no, it's not survival horror in that sense (even though to your point, you're never really punished by death with long setbacks/loads in Outlast either) but I thought it had enough elements to make it feel like a survival horror game, though not the flagship model of one. I certainly felt tension during many parts of that game...it just wasnt necessarily as scary as the tension as a game like Outlast or Amnesia. 

I haven't played a lot of TPS cover shooters outside of Gears and maybe the ME series if you consider that so maybe that's why I didn't have a problem with the gameplay either. 

Demons Souls is responsible for some of the greatest level design in gaming history:

mind-flayer-large.jpg

I thought The Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played.  I was amazed at the attention to detail in that game and how real the relationships felt between the characters.  I loved everything about it.

I was thinking about checking out Demon Souls and Dark Souls at some point, but I'm not sure if I have the patience anymore for games that difficult.  I grew up on very difficult games, but I'm getting older now and I don't know if I feel like going back to the days where I wanted to throw my controller against the wall lol.  Heck, the first God of War, the HD remake, tested my stress levels at certain points of the game, like towards the end, when you have to climb up that rotating wall with the blades.   If you get hit by a blade, you fall all the way back down. 

I thought The Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played.  I was amazed at the attention to detail in that game and how real the relationships felt between the characters.  I loved everything about it.

I was thinking about checking out Demon Souls and Dark Souls at some point, but I'm not sure if I have the patience anymore for games that difficult.  I grew up on very difficult games, but I'm getting older now and I don't know if I feel like going back to the days where I wanted to throw my controller against the wall lol.  Heck, the first God of War, the HD remake, tested my stress levels at certain points of the game, like towards the end, when you have to climb up that rotating wall with the blades.   If you get hit by a blade, you fall all the way back down. 

The Souls games are difficult but they never feel cheap (Sens Fortress toes the line). They don't throw wave after wave of enemies at you till you cross some imaginary line.  They simply punish stupidity.  They're even kind enough to gently ease you into the game with the tutorial.......

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing Sleeping Dogs..not sure if i like it or not, but going to give it a playthrough since it was free. Hitman also is free to download for this first part of this month on Live, so I'll probably give that a play.

As an aside, has anyone had luck in upgrading their 360 storage. I have the fat Pro one with the 60gb HD, and I've run out of room for the free games. After a bit of reading, I think I'd be better of just getting a 32gb USB drive and using it to store games that I'm not playing right now, right?

Started playing Sleeping Dogs..not sure if i like it or not, but going to give it a playthrough since it was free

I thought it was good, though not nearly as "Open" world as I thought it would be, after playing the demo in 2012. Sort of a John Woo shoutout kind of game, with a new age twist. Good voice acting cast (Tom Wilkinson, Kelly Hu, Lucy Liu, Russell Wong, Michelle Yeoh (IIRC)). Good combat system (the underground fight club matches are pretty good). Gets pretty stale after you beat the game though. It's not like GTA, Just Cause 2, or Saints Row, where you can wreak havoc in a thousand different ways.

Been playing the AC: Freedom Cry DLC for the last few days. I like it a lot so far. Ade's ship seems like it has more thump in the heavy shot than Edward's Jackdaw. I can't wait til E3 and more news comes out about the latest Assassin's Creed set during the French Revolution. Supposedly there is also another AC set to feature Connor (later in life) and another assassin. I wonder if it has to do with the War of 1812.

Anybody got any severely underrated games that they've played on PS3? I'm picking up Beyond 2 Souls and Demon Souls on Monday, and will probably be done with the rest of my list in about 2 months. I want to make sure I have played everything though.

I'm not much of a co-op FPS'er, so y'all can pretty much skip those. But I will look at anything else.

Anybody got any severely underrated games that they've played on PS3? I'm picking up Beyond 2 Souls and Demon Souls on Monday, and will probably be done with the rest of my list in about 2 months. I want to make sure I have played everything though.

I'm not much of a co-op FPS'er, so y'all can pretty much skip those. But I will look at anything else.

metal gear rising, vanquish

metal gear rising, vanquish

Thanks, I'll take that under advisement. Huge Metal Gear fan but I stayed away from Reveangence because last time I bothered to look at it, the storyline unfolded prior to the events leading up to Guns Of The patriots. I wanted more of a standalone adventure.

As of right now, I am deciding between Demons Souls, FarCry 3, and The Telltale Waking Dead series.

Archived