Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

If any of you get around to playing Kingdom's of Alamur stay away from the quest 'Her Righteous Fury.' It may cause you to incomplete that quest and it will disable fast travel.

I loved the game, but I am not playing it another 50 hours to get to where I was. It is way too big to play without fast travel.

I had another save, but it didn't work :(

• 2 weeks later...

Uncharted 2 = Wow. Best looking game I've ever seen on the PS3. Loved the gameplay/story as well.  I also played the first Uncharted and relived past glory. I remember just how much of  a game changer that was going to be when I played up to where you see the U-boat in the jungle. My jaw was on the floor. I don't remember it getting a ton of hype, but man did it deliver a mean right hook to the gaming industry.

2009 was a rough year, so I never got the chance to play 2 when it came out. Didnt think it would take me this long though. 2 was amazing.... And long. So many games these days are ridiculously short. It's nice to play something that has some longevity to it story wise.

Uncharted 2 = Wow. Best looking game I've ever seen on the PS3. Loved the gameplay/story as well.  I also played the first Uncharted and relived past glory. I remember just how much of  a game changer that was going to be when I played up to where you see the U-boat in the jungle. My jaw was on the floor. I don't remember it getting a ton of hype, but man did it deliver a mean right hook to the gaming industry.

2009 was a rough year, so I never got the chance to play 2 when it came out. Didnt think it would take me this long though. 2 was amazing.... And long. So many games these days are ridiculously short. It's nice to play something that has some longevity to it story wise.

Yeah man, UC2 was my favorite of the three.  The Uncharted series played a huge part in PS3 winning the exclusives war over 360.

Twice a month there's a free downloadable game on Xbox 360. Last month it was Halo 3 and Iron Brigade. I got about 5 minutes in to Iron Brigade and turned it off. Could there be a dumber concept than an army of televisions as the enemy? Giant scorpion shaped TVs, wow, wonder why I never tried this game. (End sarcasm)

This month, the original Gears of War is free 'til the middle of the month. I don't think I like this game, being a hardcore FPS player. Third person is fine with me, but the gameplay was really boring for the 10 minutes I played. Remember feeling this way about Gears when my friend let me borrow it a few years back. Does it get wayyyyyyy better after the prison level? If not, guess it's just not my thing.

I haven't done any console gaming since PS2.  After that I started playing PC games.  Now I'm wanting to get back into console gaming.  I was going to get a PS4 when they were available, but now, I'm thinking about buying a PS3 and waiting a while for the PS4.  I went into Gamestop the other day and saw a bunch of PS3 games.  PS4 doesn't have any games out right now that I consider must have.

My dilemma is should I get a PS4 soon, or join the PS3 party extremely late and put the PS4 on hold?  I'm leaning towards getting the PS3 because I see a lot of games that look very interesting to me.  I also saw several games that I loved on PS2 that were redone in HD for PS3, like Silent Hill 2 and 3, God of War, Ico, etc....  Decisions, decisions... If only the PS4 could play PS3 games.

I haven't done any console gaming since PS2.  After that I started playing PC games.  Now I'm wanting to get back into console gaming.  I was going to get a PS4 when they were available, but now, I'm thinking about buying a PS3 and waiting a while for the PS4.  I went into Gamestop the other day and saw a bunch of PS3 games.  PS4 doesn't have any games out right now that I consider must have.

My dilemma is should I get a PS4 soon, or join the PS3 party extremely late and put the PS4 on hold?  I'm leaning towards getting the PS3 because I see a lot of games that look very interesting to me.  I also saw several games that I loved on PS2 that were redone in HD for PS3, like Silent Hill 2 and 3, God of War, Ico, etc....  Decisions, decisions... If only the PS4 could play PS3 games.

if you're in no hurry, go PS3 for sure.  TONS of good games, both Sony exclusives and multi-platform games, to keep you busy for months. 

Your avatar has me thinking about possible Terminator games. Were there any released on the last gen? Seemed like in the ear;y '00s, quite a few of them got cranked out. The gaming world needs a really good Terminator game, I think.

Terminator and video games have never gotten along. There was a ton of hype surrounding the Xbox 360 game Terminator Salvation. Funny nobody talks about it (or even remembers it, in your case). They really swept that one under the rug. I never tried it because of the crappy reception it got. Whatever dude, ever since the second level of T2 the Arcade Game, I gave up hope. I blame that level. Gunner's seat of the pickup truck, ****ing impossible. They owe me money.

Twice a month there's a free downloadable game on Xbox 360. Last month it was Halo 3 and Iron Brigade. I got about 5 minutes in to Iron Brigade and turned it off. Could there be a dumber concept than an army of televisions as the enemy? Giant scorpion shaped TVs, wow, wonder why I never tried this game. (End sarcasm)

This month, the original Gears of War is free 'til the middle of the month. I don't think I like this game, being a hardcore FPS player. Third person is fine with me, but the gameplay was really boring for the 10 minutes I played. Remember feeling this way about Gears when my friend let me borrow it a few years back. Does it get wayyyyyyy better after the prison level? If not, guess it's just not my thing.

I loved the campaign in gears. Hated multiplayer, but loved the cover system in campaign.

Terminator and video games have never gotten along. There was a ton of hype surrounding the Xbox 360 game Terminator Salvation. Funny nobody talks about it (or even remembers it, in your case). They really swept that one under the rug. I never tried it because of the crappy reception it got. Whatever dude, ever since the second level of T2 the Arcade Game, I gave up hope. I blame that level. Gunner's seat of the pickup truck, ****ing impossible. They owe me money.

Yeah I went through about a 4-5 year stretch where I wasn't gaming that much, so I definitely wouldn't have heard of any of the lesser quality games. Movie based games tend to not do that well anyways.

I firmly believe that one day, before we die (or are so old we cant even hold a controller withut popping something and getting old man dust all over it), we will witness a Terminator game worthy of remembrance. 

Someone is going to get it right

if you're in no hurry, go PS3 for sure.  TONS of good games, both Sony exclusives and multi-platform games, to keep you busy for months. 

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do.  I just wasn't sure if the PS4 was going to have a large amount of games coming out soon, soon meaning in the next couple of months.  It'll probably take a year or more before a decent size library of PS4 games come out. I was concerned that as soon as I buy a PS3, PS4 would release a bunch of great games at once or have PS3 games downloadable from their store for the PS4.  That said, I'm probably going to get the PS3 because it'll probably be a while before PS3 games are available for download, if ever.  Besides, the PS3 has some good games for around 15-20 bucks, so I can stack up on some good games.  I also want to play "The Last of Us".

• 1 month later...

If any of you get around to playing Kingdom's of Alamur stay away from the quest 'Her Righteous Fury.' It may cause you to incomplete that quest and it will disable fast travel.

I loved the game, but I am not playing it another 50 hours to get to where I was. It is way too big to play without fast travel.

I had another save, but it didn't work :(

Note taken.  I just started playing KoA a couple of days ago.  The game is fun.  I bought a PS3 over a month ago because I wanted to  play some good games while I wait for the PS4 to get a bigger library of games.  I beat the Last of Us.  The Last of Us was great. 

GTA V is the ****

Anybody know of any good, underrated survival horror games out there? I'm aware of all the big name stuff, but figured there has to be a couple really good ones that didn't get all the hype.

Did you ever play Demon Souls or Dark Souls

There are moments that will scare the **** out of you..and they didn't get the pub they deserved (although they've been talked about a lot here).

edit  - I realize the don' fit the mold of horror/survival..but they are worth the time if you have the patience. 

GTA V is the ****

Anybody know of any good, underrated survival horror games out there? I'm aware of all the big name stuff, but figured there has to be a couple really good ones that didn't get all the hype.

If you're willing to go back to the Gamecube, Eternal Darkness was great. It had an H.P. Lovecraft-inspired story. You play as a bunch of people throughout the millennia who came into contact with the Tome of Eternal Darkness and saw beyond the veil of our reality and into the world of The Ancients (Deities vying for dominance). They had a lot of really interesting ideas in the game such as the sanity effects where as your character is seen by creatures of darkness, they start to lose their grip on reality and start hearing things that aren't there, the walls will begin to bleed, the heads of statues will turn to follow your movement, etc., but it gets a lot more interesting when the sanity effects start going beyond screwing with your character and start messing with you, the player.

I also recommend Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Sure, Silent Hill is an established franchise, but this game seemed to be overlooked as it was on the Wii while titles like Downpour went on the 360/PS3. This game is a departure from your usual Silent Hill games; there is no way to fight the creatures of the otherworld, all you can do is run, hide, and try to shake them off. The story is a re-imagining of the first Silent Hill (not a remake, completely different gameplay and it diverges into it's own unique story). Don't go into it expecting a Silent Hill game if you're already familiar with the franchise.

On the topic of Wii games, Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse was damn scary for me. I could only play the game in one-hour increments because tension levels were so high at all times; I never felt comfortable. Unfortunately, it never official made it's way out of Japan, so you'll have to find a translation patch if you want to really appreciate it (also, the franchise name in Japan is Zero).

They've also remade Fatal Frame II: The Crimson Butterfly for the Wii, and that one was released in the West, but I haven't played it yet. If it's anything like IV, then I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon has a horror-like atmosphere. Takes place in a post-apocalyptic world (and not the kind where you've got tribes and bandits running the world, but the kind where everybody is dead). After the old man you've been living with dies, you set out to find answers and you stumble upon a girl who scatters at the sight of you. At this point, you go in search of her hoping to find companionship in such a lonely world. The main story can be pretty out-there Japanese stuff, but they had some interesting side-stories you could discover in the form of the last memories of people and how they spent their last days knowing they would die soon.

Archived