Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

As of right now, I am deciding between Demons Souls, FarCry 3, and The Telltale Waking Dead series.

I loved FC3. It's got a great feel being a FPS open world and it's a lot of fun exploring the island. You can do a lot of cool stuff like hang glide, hunt animals for upgrades and stuff so it's not mindless. The first person driving and racing challenges are fun too.

Having said that, I'd also definitely go for TWD. It should be pretty cheap and won't take long to plow through it. And you will certainly want to plow through it because of how engaging the story is and how connected you become to the characters. I highly recommend it and I had never seen the show before playing the game so I wasn't persuaded by being a fan. It takes bit to get used to the controls but once you do it is a joy.

Actually while looking to download the Walking Dead ep 1, I came across Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Ginormous IGN rating. I will check this out first, then get on TWD later. I am a sucker for high level espionage/stealth.

Have you played any of the other Splinter Cell games?

Yeah... Double Agent, though I never finished it. Why do you ask?

The Splinter Cell franchise is not what it once was. The first 3-4 games were truly stealth games, plus they had really good stories (in my opinion) and Fisher had an iconic voice. Then in Splinter Cell: Conviction (5), they jumped the shark and turned it into an action game and even included a "kill everyone" button. And to cement my leaving of the franchise, in Blacklist they dumped Michael Ironside as the voice of Sam Fisher for some 30-year-old who sounds nothing like him. This is particularly important not only because Ironside was so iconic, but also because they effectively halved Fisher's age. He was already middle-aged in the first game and was only getting older and grumpier (in Chaos Thoery, they acknowledged his old age mentioning they were training his replacements, plus other characters made fun of him for being old). By the time of Blacklist, he should be nearing 60 years old, but suddenly he sounds younger, baby-faced, and sprier than ever.

Also, it should be worth noting that there are two completely different versions of Double Agent. The 360/PS3/PC version, and the GCN/XBOX/PS2/Wii version. They are completely different games but merely share a similar story. I found both versions to be worth playing.

Yeah, IGN mentioned how the other recent games were more action based, and mentioned the "Win" button. They said that a lot of that was rectified though. They did mention the voice acting, the character models, and the fact that his personality is very different.

It doesn't bother me that much, since I wasn't a dedicated fan, but being the huge Metal Gear fan I am, I can understand. If David Hayters voice were somehow removed, and Snake's character did a complete 180, and the gameplay featuring more action that normal, I'd flip.

It doesn't bother me that much, since I wasn't a dedicated fan, but being the huge Metal Gear fan I am, I can understand. If David Hayters voice were somehow removed, and Snake's character did a complete 180, and the gameplay featuring more action that normal, I'd flip.

I don't play Metal Gear, but I do believe I heard that Hayter was replaced by Sutherland or something, right?

I don't play Metal Gear, but I do believe I heard that Hayter was replaced by Sutherland or something, right?

Just checked. You're right about Sutherland, though technically, he is not playing Solid Snake (the franchises main protagonist), but rather Naked Snake (Big Boss) who Solid Snake was cloned from.

David Hayter's voice was used to portray Big Boss in Snake Eater, but it makes sense to me that they would go another direction for this gen, in order to separate both characters identities/tendencies.

I was already a little iffy about V to be honest anyway, considering its open world. I mean, I love open world games, but I'm perfectly okay with standard level gameplay. A game doesnt need to be open world to be good. But I trust in Hideo Kojima to take his time, and deliver the best product possible

• 4 weeks later...

May 16-30, Saint's Row the Third

Anyone play the Saint's Row titles? They always looked like a lot of fun..

Yeah man, PS3 got saints row not too long ago.  I thought it was pretty darn fun.  Its like a poor man's GTA.  But a lot more silly.  The game definitely doesn't take itself seriously, and its open world so you can do whatever. 

Yeah man, PS3 got saints row not too long ago.  I thought it was pretty darn fun.  Its like a poor man's GTA.  But a lot more silly.  The game definitely doesn't take itself seriously, and its open world so you can do whatever. 

Thanks. I never got the PS3 service since I kept getting the XBox Live for so cheap. Plus, I have no room on my fat PS3...and was too lazy into looking into upgrading the HD.

:P

I kept seeing Saints Row IV in the stores and it looked like a fun play. Now that I will have a chance to play 3 first..and I can wait and get IV when it drops below $20.

I played Saints Row The Third. It was fun, especially comparing it to GTA IV's snorefest. The **** started to make my head hurt though. It is so ****ing insane. Playing mascot deathmach gameshows, attacking people with shark guns, slapping people with giant dildos, fighting aliens, flying on bewitched broomsticks, blowing the ever loving **** out of everything that moves. That game is off the chain, lol.

The best thing is the mods though. I made my player look like Will Smith,, rocking his Fresh Prince of Bel Air gear. Whoever designed that game was on crack. Zombie mode is awesome too.

Just a hunch that PS Plus gets Saints Row IV in June at E3.  We have gotten 2 & 3 the last two years, so I imagine this one is coming.j

Finally started The Last of Us. Wasn't enjoying it at first, but I am starting to really get into it.  After the separation, it seems more fun.

Haven't been able to finish Bioshock Infinite yet.  My crappy motion sickness has been appearing when I play first person games lately.

Anybody play Stick of Truth? I rented it and I love it. Fun game and pretty funny too.

I'm playing it right now.  It's a must for anyone who likes South Park.  Some of the stuff in that game is crazy lol.   It's like an uncensored, unrated South Park season.

Just a hunch that PS Plus gets Saints Row IV in June at E3.  We have gotten 2 & 3 the last two years, so I imagine this one is coming.j

Finally started The Last of Us. Wasn't enjoying it at first, but I am starting to really get into it.  After the separation, it seems more fun.

Haven't been able to finish Bioshock Infinite yet.  My crappy motion sickness has been appearing when I play first person games lately.

How far do you sit from the screen?  Console FPS typically have a narrow FOV that can cause motion sickness.  I know the Bioshock series has a very narrow FOV (45?) and sitting further from the screen can help.

Playing the PS One and all the polygons back in the day gave me a ton of motion sickness related issues. Also at that same time I had chronic migraine issues. Thats why I can empathize with dudes like Terrell Davis and Percy Harvin. Those things debilitate you. Just your heart beating causes you pain. Light makes it worse. I couldn't imagine trying to play sports with that. Wouldn't wish it on anybody. Tomb Raider and Armored Core gave me the biggest issue, with all the spinning/sideways movement, and awkward camera angles.

In other news, Demons Souls is currently downloading. It has begun... If I am not huddled in the corner in a cold sweat this time next week, driven insane by frustration, I will be disappointed.

Yeahhhh, before I start I'd like to know what type of player/class I should be. I'm probably only going to play this once, so I want the best playthrough possible. Any suggestions?

Using my instincts, I'm thinking that plenty of magic is probably a good idea

Yeahhhh, before I start I'd like to know what type of player/class I should be. I'm probably only going to play this once, so I want the best playthrough possible. Any suggestions?

Using my instincts, I'm thinking that plenty of magic is probably a good idea

I mainly played a Faith build. Start as a Temple Knight. Good starting stats, a halberd and pretty good armour.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:74

Tip: Do not consume Demon Souls that drop from the bosses. They are used to build powerful weapons.

Tip 2: Shield up!

I mainly played a Faith build. Start as a Temple Knight. Good starting stats, a halberd and pretty good armour.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:74

Tip: Do not consume Demon Souls that drop from the bosses. They are used to build powerful weapons.

Tip 2: Shield up!

Haha, I think TEG said that as well. Duly noted. Thanks for the info.

You'll learn that hard lesson in the "tutorial".

Yeah, I just did LOL. **** comes at you from all angles at any moment. You're just casually walking into some new area and wham! Arrow in the chest lol.

My instincts seem to serve me well though. Just crushed 4-5 goons by smashing open one of those things that house rolling boulders. I have a feeling also that O probably need to save a lot of the special weaponry/health or the boss battles.

I already got killed by "The Vanguard" but I think that was intentional (I think).

Archived