Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 vs. PS3

willmb5

Yeah I knew that. I was acually a pretty big Armored Core fan from PS-PS2. Stopped afterwards though. I'm currently downloading TLOU. I will probably check those out after I'm finished with it.

Another recommendation would be Ni No Kuni.

Playing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen right now. I am loving it. Actually enjoying it a bit more than Skyrim at the moment. Only 12 hours in though.

Armored Core is made by the same people that did Demons Souls (FROM Soft). If you haven't played them yet, I would check out Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles. They are both early PS3 titles but well worth a playthrough.

Loved Valkyria Chronicles.  I was hoping they would make follow ups but they only came on the Vita I think?  I usually don't like these kind of games, but this one was awesome.

Is there a way to make melee weapons unbreakable or near unbreakable? Not that I've gotten there yet (because everytime I try to upgrade past the two blade additions, I run into a situation where I have to save some ammo and use it), but its just annoying when you have to spend so much time upgrading firearms that run through ammo like water in gunfights where you're outnumbered, only to deal with a broken/ineffective weapon after 3 swings

I chose to sneak around a lot and used the guns only when I needed. Worked well for me.

Yeah me too. Guns and shivs were an absolute last resort.

I do the same thing, but I explore every room looking for items, which won't alert the clickers, but will eventually alert the first stage infected. Besides, its not like every situation allows for you to sneak past people/things. I normally sneak and strangle, but even in games like Silent Hill overall, when it came time to knock the **** out of somebody, you could knock the **** out f somebody without your melee weapon breaking. Then again, Silent Hill is actually survival horror. I'm not sure what this game is yet/what its trying to be, with the presentation, with all the guns they give you, and the state of the melee weapons, so I guess that's affecting the way I approach it.

And I only use the shiv for the clickers (since there's no other way to kill them [yet]), and to unlock doors and get to places with plenty of goods/ammo.

Well I just beat it (no Hibbert). I thought it was pretty damn good. Solid.  Had some great moments. Just didn't feel spectacular like I was kinda hoping it would be.

I think part of it stems from the fact that it was kind of in genre purgatory. I honestly don't know what it was. Every genre has its universal laws. I'm all for bucking all of that, as long as the game kicks ass all around. I don't think TLOU did that. I was expecting a lot more from the infection portion of the game. I thought that was a letdown. I mean why even bother with that?

When I first saw the trailer (a couple years ago) I got a "Road" impression. I thought if they just went with that, and the everyday struggle to survive in a non zombie apocalypse world, that would've been good enough.

It just felt like they tried to cram so much stuff in this that it kind of left me scratching my head. And I hope this was a multiple ending thing (that I ****ed up royally), because if not, then the ending was a major letdown.

I'd give it a high B though. Like I said, very solid. That scene with Henry and Sam was tough to watch. All the parts where you battle the infected are very well done (I would've liked more variety, and even a Boss or two... But as I said before, I don't know what the true motive was there, because with all that said, it isn't really survival horror, though it tries to be [i guess]). That part where you (or I, since you have a choice) sneaked through the tunnel on the way towards the hospital, was an all timer imo. I thought at any moment that one of those clickers/bloaters would detect me and all hell would break loose. I was sweating bullets.

I enjoyed the Bill chapter, Pittsburgh, and the wilderness, and some of the college/hospital stage. I also really enjoyed the prologue. Everything else, I thought, was pretty underwhelming.

It probably didn't help matters that I saved up enough ammo/explosives/smoke bombs to basically mow everyone down in the hospital.

Definitely not worth the 10/10 (which is always horse****, honestly) from IGN, but I'd give it an 8-8.5.

Getting ready to play the TellTale Walking Dead EP's, then after that, its more than likely Beyond: 2 Souls

Just seemed very anticlimactic, considering everything that happened up to that point. I mean you go through all that trouble, and the payoff wasn't good enough imo.

Not going to post spoilers for anyone who hasn't played it (though its been a year), but you kind of get the impression, that, you know, certain characters aren't going to be hanging around much longer, and then boom, the entire premise of the game is blown to ****, and they're still hanging around..... Doing stuff.....

I was expecting a little more, and then the credits roll, and I'm just sitting there like huhwhat. Just felt like there was something missing. And thats basically how I sum up the entire game. Something was missing, that kept it from being stellar.... not good (I mean it was really good), just stellar

Btw, the soundtrack is amazing, though the main theme sounds very similar to the one from The Descent

Yeah but I like that it doesn't go the path you are expecting it to from the very beginning.

He does the exact opposite of what a hero is supposed to do and instead acts selfishly because of the bond he has with Ellie and what happened in his past. She knows this as well IMO but chooses to believe his lie and I loved that as the ending.

The plot isn't ground breaking or anything but it's pretty different compared to the typical story in that it chooses the affection of relationship of two insignificant people over the fate of the world, hope and salvation for all. Also, it's incredibly well done and pretty powerful. Combined with the top notch voice acting, production values, soundtrack, presentation and the emotional connection you get with such realistically created characters are what makes the game so highly regarded.

I mean it puts you in the moment and asks you to make that decision. What would you do? Would you risk it or spend the rest of your life in a miserable world with someone that could make you happy and love you? Somebody that actually gives your life a purpose again?

Also, what didn't you like about the infected? I thought it was similar to TWD in the way it handled both infected and human threats.

I finished The Last of Us recently also. As someone who doesn't play video games very much anymore (I actually bought a used PS3 console after a friend gave me his copy and told me to play it), I thought it was a masterpiece of a game.

Ending was perfect for what the story being told was and the atmosphere of the game was gripping. The hard difficulty was the perfect balance for me, right between a challenge and still being able to get through the game. I ended up being very stingy with my ammo and guns right up to the end, so I didn't get to enjoy using some of the guns.

Ellie was such a likeable character too. Loved the game.

Also, what didn't you like about the infected? I thought it was similar to TWD in the way it handled both infected and human threats.

Variety. I mean, yeah, people are infected. What about animals maybe.... or further evolved infected. I mean,we're talking 20 years worth of mutation. Surely some pour soul out could have turned into some demonic monstrosity by then, feeding on animals or something in the city/wilderness.

Clickers, bloaters and stalkers, while pretty good, just wasn't enough. I think all of this comes back to my repeatedly expressed affinity for horror/survival horror. Its my favorite genre, both in movies, and video games, and as a result, I become very, very picky. Put it like this, if the game was damn near frightening with its infected NPC's, while keeping all of its other elements, but allowing less ammo/firearms (and more creative, well crafted melee weapons that are built to last, but have to be kept up to avoid decreased effectiveness) I would've gotten down on all fours and praised the lord. But its a tweener. Not completely human survivalist, and not completely survival horror. I just can't overlook that. I don't think I'm being unfair in my criticism (if you can call it that.... Like I said, I thought it was good/very good, but not a masterpiece, at least not to me)

As for the ending, I don't necessarily mind the fact that Joel acts selfishly, its just the whole way it went down. There are still plenty of horrible scenarios that could occur even after what transpires at the hospital. I like realism, but it still has to be entertaining. I don't accept the "artistic simplicity" part of it. I just thought it was bland. Now I don't think there needed to be a save the whole world kumbaya type of deal (that would have been cheesy), but  I think they could've done better than "Looks like everythings all good.... The End".

Maybe there is a sequel in  the works or something, but they just leave you hangin' at the end

That makes sense I see where you are coming from. I don't think everything ended all good though. The world is still awful and both of them are likely to die any day, but whatever happens, Joe(l) made sure he had somebody with him during that time,

It was actually against Ellie's wishes for what she wanted. Maybe she accepted it because she knew she was loved or maybe that lie will come back up later in their lives. But he took the purpose of her life away from her to salvage his. Kind of tragic.

But anyway, keep me posted of your status through TWD.

It's honestly so good I'm not even going to play season 2. I just want to end it on the note that season 1 ended on.

It's honestly so good I'm not even going to play season 2. I just want to end it on the note that season 1 ended on.

You should. Season 1 was better, but season 2 is getting good.

Like I posted a year ago, I also thought TLOU was completely overhyped for what it was. The gameplay was rather typical. The graphics were great, but I just don't care that much about graphics. I'd give it a 7.5/10 based mostly on the storyline, but for me, there wasn't much replay value there, and yeah the ending was a little disappointing. I explored everywhere and all it netted me was a bunch of extra ammo and supplies I ended up never using. Oddly enough, contrary to popular opinion, I preferred the start of the game, in the weird camp of survivors with martial law to the latter stages in wilderness.

Maybe I didn't think it was amazing because I'm a big fan of survival horror myself. You ever played D2 on dreamcast Mr S?

You should. Season 1 was better, but season 2 is getting good.

You should edit out that spoiler for Mr S, since it pertains to somebody whose fate is up in air during season 1.

But anyway, I just thought season 1 was perfect and that story arch was everything I needed from

those characters. I wish they had started a different set of characters for season 2 honestly. I didn't want to know what happened after season 1, that is part of the power of it IMO.

Archived