Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus on the Hot Seat for Rutgers Comments

Dan T.

Imus is a professional jerk. If he can think of something mean to say about someone, he'll say it. This latest comment certainly falls under that category. How he's managed to stay on the air as long as he has is beyond me. I don't know if I'd call what he said blatant racism, or just general jerk-ish-ness. Either way, it just reminds me why I don't listen to him.

However, if what he said offended people, people have a right to speak up about it.

If I'm hanging out with someone, and that someone made some off-hand remark about a group of people that I found inappropriate, I'd speak up. I remember one time when I was working as the production assistant for a DC paper when one of our flats came back from the printer. It was of an ad for the Army (or Navy ... some branch of the armed forces) and it had a picture of five or six servicepeople in uniform. Well, someone from the printer had drawn swastikas on the uniforms. I didn't say anything because I didn't want the paper to think I was being some over-sensitive Jew making a big deal out of some stupid drawings that didn't mean anything. Well, someone else in the office said something to the boss and he raised holy hell with the printer, who apologized profusely, and all was set right with the world.

I think back on that incident a lot, and realize that the day individuals worry about standing up for themselves is a day we ALL have to worry about. Stop being so angry that people have the nerve to announce when they've been offended. Be thankful that we live in a society that allows it, encourages and embraces this freedom.

The alternative is far, far worse.

Seems like alot of you just don't get it. He basically called a group of Black women sexually promiscous and unattractive.This type of thing has a long history in this country in how Black women were/are portrayed in the media as oversexed and good for only one thing.

I'm all for free speech and teasing.But everything has limits.But it seems attacking Black people especially women is in vogue again.Well his a** got called on the carpet and time to pay.

Seems like alot of you just don't get it. He basically called a group of Black women sexually promiscous and unattractive.This type of thing has a long history in this country in how Black women were/are portrayed in the media as oversexed and good for only one thing.

I'm all for free speech and teasing.But everything has limits.But it seems attacking Black people especially women is in vogue again.Well his a** got called on the carpet and time to pay.

Just curious: What if Brian Mitchell had said it?

(BTW..I think Imus is a "Tool" of the highest degree.)

Just curious: What if Brian Mitchell had said it?

(BTW..I think Imus is a "Tool" of the highest degree.)

I am fairly certain if B Mitch had called the Rutgers team

a bunch of nappy headed ho's he would have been in just

as much trouble.;)

First, Imus is a complete moron to have made the comments he made. What was he thinking? I'm not a fan of being PC, however, whether he meant for the comments to be racial or not, he is a moron to have said them because he had to know that they would be thought of as racial. He's a white guy making pretty negative comments about black females, then in the same conversation, says that the team that is predominatly white has a bunch of pretty girls. Duh... no kidding he's getting the flak that he's getting.

He has every right to make these comments.

His employer has every right to fire him if they wish.

Every person has a right to agree or disagree with him.

If I were him, making big bucks on a radio show, I wouldn't say anything like that, which could easily lead to my firing. But if he doesn't care, more power to him.

If Imus was black, this wouldn't be an issue. That's what's sad IMO.

Al Sharpton... clown. Go away.

Can someone PLEASE explain why the term "nappy headed" is racial?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nappy&page=1

1. nappy 163 up, 67 down

one of African desent who has tightly coiled unkept hair; one with locks of hair that is tightly curled that is unwashed and uncombed

Sholanda has such nappy hair you can see her buckshots even after she gets a perm.

2. nappy 100 up, 73 down

Tightly coiled / curled unaltered hair. Coiled hair in its natural state

as found on people of African descent who do not chemically alter their hair texture.

those two seem to be the most favored.

from dictionary.com

nappy (adj.)

"downy," 1499, from nap (n.). Meaning "fuzzy, kinky," used in colloquial or derogatory ref. to the hair of black people, is from 1950

First, I don't see why Sharpton has to get involved with every single issue involving black people. Doesn't he know he does a disservice to their cause?

Second, my brother is nappy-headed and he's white, so I don't see how it's offensive. I don't listen to his show--whatever I have seen I thought boring and unfunny. But still, it doesn't seem like what he said was that big of a deal. I've heard way worse on the radio. Besides, as a nation we were too much about what blowhards on the radio and tv say anyway.

I just heard it for the first time and he really crossed the line IMO.

After Imus was done his sidekick called them Jigaboos.

Too bad so sad.

wow, the sidekick definately should be gone. I had no idea the guy dropped that one, thats pretty much like dropping the n bomb.

I just heard it for the first time and he really crossed the line IMO.

After Imus was done his sidekick called them Jigaboos.

Too bad so sad.

Correct, the worst part of the commentary, IMO, has been left off the "transcripts" in the news. When you hear the audio, you hear the jigaboo comment and Imus follows that up with something as well...

You CAN NOT say what you want when it offends people especially when you're in his position as a TV/radio personality.
I admit, I'm not Sharpton's biggest fan, but for most part, he tells it like it is. I understand that might rub some people the wrong way.

:whoknows:

First, I don't see why Sharpton has to get involved with every single issue involving black people. Doesn't he know he does a disservice to their cause?

Second, my brother is nappy-headed and he's white, so I don't see how it's offensive. I don't listen to his show--whatever I have seen I thought boring and unfunny. But still, it doesn't seem like what he said was that big of a deal. I've heard way worse on the radio. Besides, as a nation we were too much about what blowhards on the radio and tv say anyway.

When have you heard a white man being called "nappy headed"? The problem is that he and his producer don't even know these woman, and they judged them off of what they looked liked...they had their hair braided and they decided that they are "hardcore hoes"? Imus is not that stupid. And if he is, it is amazing how he has kept his job for so long.

Archived