Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus on the Hot Seat for Rutgers Comments

Dan T.

I've heard Dj's on 95.5 make remarks about white people not being able to dance. Should they be fired?

Please tell me you are not comparing DJs on the radio saying white people can't dance to calling some girls you have never met before some nappy headed hardcore hoes? If that was your daughter that was on the Rutger's team and you heard Imus said that? And he hasn't even met them before?

Please tell me you are not comparing DJs on the radio saying white people can't dance to calling some girls you have never met before some nappy headed hardcore hoes? If that was your daughter that was on the Rutger's team and you heard Imus said that? And he hasn't even met them before?

translation:

Stereotyping is ok if it's blacks stereotyping whites.

Here's a question.... Do people that have tattoos and unusual hair styles get unfairly judged by society, regardless of race??

Yes.

Is it the fault of society or the person that has choosen to have the tattoos and unusual hairstyle.

Case in point. I let my hair grow out over the past year and a half. It wasn't "long" but definately touched my shoulders. My boss announced that he is retiring, so, I cut my hair. I know that if I want to be seriously considered for a Director's position, I have to look the part.

translation:

Stereotyping is ok if it's blacks stereotyping whites.

Actually no it is not ok. And saying someone can't dance versus calling someone "nappy headed hoes" is not even the samething. Calling someone "nappy headed" and a "ho" is a take on their apperance and an assumption that these women are promiscuous and don't know how to take care of their hair. Saying someone can't dance is not a commentary on their appearance or their morality. And let's not forget, this is not the first time he has said somethign liek this. He has compared all black and latinos to apes, and his producer said that Serena and Venus Williams should be on National Geographic Channel.

I don't understand why whenever there is an incident of racism there is always at least one white person (I'm white FTR) that can't just say "that's ****ed up" but has to say "oh well I heard this black person do this..." Imus said something ****ed up. End of story. Because you heard someone else say something ****ed up (saying white people can't dance isn't ****ed up, it's fact :) ) doesn't mean that it makes it ok for Imus to say what he said.

Actually no it is not ok. And saying someone can't dance versus calling someone "nappy headed hoes" is not even the samething. Calling someone "nappy headed" and a "ho" is a take on their apperance and an assumption that these women are promiscuous and don't know how to take care of their hair. Saying someone can't dance is not a commentary on their appearance or their morality. And let's not forget, this is not the first time he has said somethign liek this. He has compared all black and latinos to apes, and his producer said that Serena and Venus Williams should be on National Geographic Channel.

Oh hell no!

Something needs to be done to that ass hole and his co-workers. That is completely unacceptable and if that **** isn't racist, then I don't know what is! I can't believe he still has a job! Saying that alone should have gotten him fired. I'm speechless right now. Sad that racism like this still is alive and well in this country. It's bull****.

I don't understand why when there is an incident of racism there is always at least one white person (I'm white FTR) that can't just say "that's ****ed up" but has to say "oh well I heard this black person do this..." He said something ****ed up. Because you heard someone else say something ****ed up (saying white people can't dance isn't ****ed up, it's fact :) ) doesn't mean that it makes it ok for Imus to say what he said.

Exactly...it is called rationalizing...So if the minority does it that means it is ok for the majority to do it?? Hell to the NO.

I don't understand why whenever there is an incident of racism there is always at least one white person (I'm white FTR) that can't just say "that's ****ed up" but has to say "oh well I heard this black person do this..." Imus said something ****ed up. End of story. Because you heard someone else say something ****ed up (saying white people can't dance isn't ****ed up, it's fact :) ) doesn't mean that it makes it ok for Imus to say what he said.

I couldn't agree with you more.

However, what you find more and more, is people over looking one form of racism and condeming another. Sith Lord is guilty of this. He essentially gives Al Sharpton a pass on what he says, and attacks Imus.

Yes it is messed up what Imus said. But he doesn't owe you, me, CCSL, or Sith lord an apology. The only people he should apologize to are the members of the Rutgers womens BBall team.

Nobody else should feel victimized by what he said.

Here's a question.... Do people that have tattoos and unusual hair styles get unfairly judged by society, regardless of race??

Yes.

Is it the fault of society or the person that has choosen to have the tattoos and unusual hairstyle.

Case in point. I let my hair grow out over the past year and a half. It wasn't "long" but definately touched my shoulders. My boss announced that he is retiring, so, I cut my hair. I know that if I want to be seriously considered for a Director's position, I have to look the part.

Only difference in that, is you're comparing the state of your hair being unkept to the way someone's hair *naturally* grows. Being that you hardly (if ever) hear a person of European descent called 'nappy headed' as a derogatory term, it is a term made to describe the hair of people with African descent. Are you unaware that for years this kind of ridicule has gone on about anything deemed uneuropean (hair, nose, lips, thighs, behind, dialect, culture)?

I couldn't agree with you more.

However, what you find more and more, is people over looking one form of racism and condeming another. Sith Lord is guilty of this. He essentially gives Al Sharpton a pass on what he says, and attacks Imus.

Yes it is messed up what Imus said. But he doesn't owe you, me, CCSL, or Sith lord an apology. The only people he should apologize to are the members of the Rutgers womens BBall team.

Nobody else should feel victimized by what he said.

First of all, I don't feel victimized at all. Secondly, Al Sharpton didn't go on the radio and call a group of women "nappy headed hoes". So please stop rationalizing what Imus said with what Al Sharpton has done in the past. Just because Al Sharpton is shady, doesn't mean what Imus said is not wrong and should be talked about. And you are right the doesn't owe me anything at all. That is not even the issue.

Exactly...it is called rationalizing...So if the minority does it that means it is ok for the majority to do it?? Hell to the NO.

Wow, finally someone comes out and tells the truth. Like I've always said, racism FROM the minority, directed AT the majority is OK. The reverse? Not so much.

I'm sick of catering. Either both are OK or neither are. Which is it going to be?

Don Imus is at the center of a storm of controversy after calling members of the Rutgers women's basketball teams "nappy headed hos" on his syndicated radio program Wednesday.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, lost the NCAA women's championship game Tuesday, and Imus was discussing the game with producer Bernard McGuirk.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," said McGuirk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

He offered a tepid defense of his comments Thursday, then a full blown apology Friday. That hasn't stopped the onslaught of criticism and calls for his firing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=3018540&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

The latest is that Al Sharpton has called for his resignation:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070407/ap_on_en_ot/imus_apology

Does the fact that Imus disparages and insults people in an equal-opportunity fashion innoculate him from charges of racism?

Both Imus and McGuirk should be severely admonished for their statements and also the network that they broadcast on should be dealt with severely. There are "absolutely" no reasons for this type of behavior from anyone and especially from a nationally recognized nework.

His "deflamatory remarks" were harmful, hurtful and they have left me with concerns about his creditability.

No one should be afforded the priviledge of not being accountable for their remarks on public airways. He has caused tremendous harm to the young ladies that represented Rutgers University and he has also defaced the universitys" statue through his senseless, careless and deflamatory description of the team.

Racism is "alive" and when it's placed in the hands of people that use there powers to promote their negative views and excite further hatred, it's "dangerous"

I believe that Imus showed his "true colors" and I hope that he will incur the same discomfort that he imposed on the young ladies of the Rutgers basketball team. :mad:

Both Imus and McGuirk should be severely admonished for their statements and also the network that they broadcast on should be dealt with severely. There are "absolutely" no reasons for this type of behavior from anyone and especially from a nationally recognized nework.

His "deflamatory remarks" were harmful, hurtful and they have left me with concerns about his creditability.

No one should be afforded the priviledge of not being accountable for their remarks on public airways. He has caused tremendous harm to the young ladies that represented Rutgers University and he has also defaced the universitys" statue through his senseless, careless and deflamatory description of the team.

Racism is "alive" and when it's placed in the hands of people that use there powers to promote their negative views and excite further hatred, it's "dangerous"

I believe that Imus showed his "true colors" and I hope that he will incur the same discomfort that he imposed on the young ladies of the Rutgers basketball team. :mad:

Wow. Best post in this thread. Amen to that! :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

MSNBC didn't do anything. CBS radio didn't do anything.

He has caused tremendous harm to the young ladies that represented Rutgers University

How? What harm have they suffered?

and he has also defaced the universitys" statue through his senseless, careless and deflamatory description of the team.

:whoknows:

finally,

What does "Deflamatory" mean?

Tremendous harm? We are talking about words here, and everyone involved is an adult, right?

Talk about American society becoming soft and over sensative-

Archived