Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Imus on the Hot Seat for Rutgers Comments

Dan T.

What he said was stupid and he should be punished. And for the rap song arument i dont buy it, u can see breats in moives but you cant see them on regular tv, u can buy a rap album and lisson to it yourself, but have u ever heard a rap song that was compleatly unedited played on tv or on the raido. He did somthing stupid, and should be punished.

For the record, I think what Imus said was stupid, but we do have freedom of speech in this country, and he's allowed to say what he said. As far as the rap-song argument, songs on the radio talk about ****es and ho's and graphic sexual acts and disrespecting women all the time...I'm not sure what station you're listening to. :whoknows:

I actually really like Imus- I beleive he apologized very soon after the comment, but it really isnt different than comments made by opie and anthony, stern, or any number of shock jocks out there. this will pass, he'll continue to broadcast.
I don't know. The Greaseman never recovered from his "that's why they drag them behind cars" comment.

Guest sith lord
For the record, I think what Imus said was stupid, but we do have freedom of speech in this country, and he's allowed to say what he said. As far as the rap-song argument, songs on the radio talk about ****es and ho's and graphic sexual acts and disrespecting women all the time...I'm not sure what station you're listening to. :whoknows:

The freedom of speech argument is a copout. You CAN NOT say what you want when it offends people especially when you're in his position as a TV/radio personality.

I don't listen to Imus, but I've heard that he has hired people to make black jokes. It's beyound me how a network that is as accomplished as NBC can keep this guy and this has nothing to do with sticks and stones. it's about being held accountable. If Al Shapton got on TV and called all hockey players "white trash" there would be an uproar.

I presume you do know Sharptons' history.

Guest sith lord
I presume you do know Sharptons' history.

I admit, I'm not Sharpton's biggest fan, but for most part, he tells it like it is. I understand that might rub some people the wrong way.

Guest sith lord
Why so? (Out of curiosity). Not sure I have seen any info on that.

Just look at there shows. When a racial issue comes up, they're ALWAYS on the oppisite side. A kid gets his head slammed on the hood of a police car by a cop, Hannity of course defends the cop and I don't even need to get into how many times O'Reilly has went after rappers and athletes.

I admit, I'm not Sharpton's biggest fan, but for most part, he tells it like it is. I understand that might rub some people the wrong way.

Obviously you haven't a clue as to who Sharpton is. Just google for tawana brawley and many articles will appear to inform you of just who he is and what he does.

Here's but just 1

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004192

SNIP-

Mr. Sharpton is best-known for the Tawana Brawley hoax, in which he insisted that a 15-year-old black girl had been abducted and raped by a band of white men practicing Irish Republican Army rituals. In fact she had made up the story to protect herself from her violent stepfather.

But at Freddy's, Mr. Sharpton was even more malevolent. He turned a landlord-tenant dispute between the Jewish owner of Freddy's and a black subtenant into a theater of hatred. Picketers from Mr. Sharpton's National Action Network, sometimes joined by "the Rev." himself, marched daily outside the store, screaming about "bloodsucking Jews" and "Jew ****s" and threatening to burn the building down.

After weeks of increasingly violent rhetoric, one of the protesters, Roland Smith, took Mr. Sharpton's words about ousting the "white interloper" to heart. He ran into the store shouting, "It's on!" He shot and wounded three whites and a Pakistani, whom he apparently mistook for a Jew. Then he set the fire, which killed five Hispanics, one Guyanese and one African-American--a security guard whom protesters had taunted as a "cracker lover." Smith then fatally shot himself.

Guest sith lord
Obviously you haven't a clue as to who Sharpton is. Just google for tawana brawley and many articles will appear to inform you of just who he is and what he does.

Here's but just 1

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004192

SNIP-

Mr. Sharpton is best-known for the Tawana Brawley hoax, in which he insisted that a 15-year-old black girl had been abducted and raped by a band of white men practicing Irish Republican Army rituals. In fact she had made up the story to protect herself from her violent stepfather.

But at Freddy's, Mr. Sharpton was even more malevolent. He turned a landlord-tenant dispute between the Jewish owner of Freddy's and a black subtenant into a theater of hatred. Picketers from Mr. Sharpton's National Action Network, sometimes joined by "the Rev." himself, marched daily outside the store, screaming about "bloodsucking Jews" and "Jew ****s" and threatening to burn the building down.

After weeks of increasingly violent rhetoric, one of the protesters, Roland Smith, took Mr. Sharpton's words about ousting the "white interloper" to heart. He ran into the store shouting, "It's on!" He shot and wounded three whites and a Pakistani, whom he apparently mistook for a Jew. Then he set the fire, which killed five Hispanics, one Guyanese and one African-American--a security guard whom protesters had taunted as a "cracker lover." Smith then fatally shot himself.

You can't blame Sharpton on a crime someone else commited and it was the girl who made up the story, not Sharpton. sure, Sharpton should have made sure the girl was telling the truth, but he just took what she said and ran with it.

You can't blame Sharpton on a crime someone else commited and it was the girl who made up the story, not Sharpton. sure, Sharpton should have made sure the girl was telling the truth, but he just took what she said and ran with it.

That's all I need to know.

Suddenly, defending Imus' right to be an idiot doesn't seem so bad.

Guest sith lord
That's all I need to know.

Suddenly, defending Imus' right to be an idiot doesn't seem so bad.

But we're not talking about Sharpton, the thread is about what Imus said.

But we're not talking about Sharpton, the thread is about what Imus said.

OK, like I said, Imus has a right to be an idiot. And like it or not, his views are protected by the First Amendment...which exists to protect speech you DO NOT like.

That being said, this is a capitalist society. If enough people decide they don't like Imus' comments, they'll stop listening. They stop listening, advertisers stop buying air time. And obviously, when advertisers stop buying air time, he stops having a job.

I just think that too many members of minority groups are too quick to point and say, "I'm offended by this, so you have to change." I'm not supporting what Imus said. I think it was pretty foolish. However, I'll stand by my position that Sharpton fabricating charges, and Jackson paying the tuition for the Duke accuser, "whether she made it up or not," are FAR more destructive to race relations. Their actions have direct consequences on people's lives. Imus' words don't.

People who see nothing wrong with Imus comments are taught from an early age to think that way. I can see why they believe its okay. We live in a diverse society and we do have freedom of speech.

I teach my children to respect everyone and their culture. Imus is a demagogue playing on prejudice and emotions. And those who listen to him, need those kind of emotions in their lives.

If you don't need the negativity he presents turn him off. The sad indicator of this story is the number of followers who listen to him. They actually think racism doesn't exisit but these comments are okay. Those comments are racist!

Guest sith lord
OK, like I said, Imus has a right to be an idiot. And like it or not, his views are protected by the First Amendment...which exists to protect speech you DO NOT like.

That being said, this is a capitalist society. If enough people decide they don't like Imus' comments, they'll stop listening. They stop listening, advertisers stop buying air time. And obviously, when advertisers stop buying air time, he stops having a job.

I just think that too many members of minority groups are too quick to point and say, "I'm offended by this, so you have to change." I'm not supporting what Imus said. I think it was pretty foolish. However, I'll stand by my position that Sharpton fabricating charges, and Jackson paying the tuition for the Duke accuser, "whether she made it up or not," are FAR more destructive to race relations. Their actions have direct consequences on people's lives. Imus' words don't.

How is Jackson paying for the accuser's tuition in the Duke scandle affecting anybody but the accuser? If NBC allows Imus to remain on their network, they're condoning what he says. As for Sharpton, fabricating charges is bad, but it is nothing compared to the way blacks are treated by some police.

How is Jackson paying for the accuser's tuition in the Duke scandle affecting anybody but the accuser? If NBC allows Imus to remain on their network, they're condoning what he says. As for Sharpton, fabricating charges is bad, but it is nothing compared to the way blacks are treated by some police.

I thought this discussion was about Don Imus' comments not about how blacks are treated by some police.

Didn't he then go on to refer to the Texas team as essentially good looking white girls? Or something similar?

Yea he said the white girls looked really good, but the black girls looked ugly.

He called them nappy headed hos. What a racist ****. Those girls are there to get an education and just b/c they play basketball and have braids, that makes them ho's? That was about as insulting as it can get towards young black women.

Too bad his racst ass won't get fired b/c he brings in too much money for the raido. *******s. He needs to be gone.

And I can guarantee that if a black guy said that about some white girls, he'd be gone in a second. :doh:

It's unbelievable and something needs to be done. I don't give a damn if that prick gave an apology or not. He didn't mean it, he just said it so that he wouldn't lose his ****ing job. Makes me sick. :mad:

Guest sith lord
I thought this discussion was about Don Imus' comments not about how blacks are treated by some police.

You're right. But why aren't you saying the samething to the posters who brought up Sharpton's fabricating and Jackson paying someones college tuition? Just wondering.

Jackson is saying, "here's your reward for making **** up to get whitey." Period. That, my friend, is the ULTIMATE in racism. That goes WAY beyond anything Imus has ever said or done. It has a damaging personal effect to the three lacrosse players involved, and it has a damaging effect on the desire of whites to reach across racial lines and offer an olive branch. Rewarding people for lying, for the sole purpose of ruining the lives of MY people, doesn't make me condusive to listening to your cause, Mr. Jackson.

As far as the blacks vs. police comment, I thought you were the one policing this thread for people using "cop out" arguments. ;):)

You're right. But why aren't you saying the samething to the posters who brought up Sharpton's fabricating and Jackson paying someones college tuition? Just wondering.

Is that a way of saying that I'm sympathetic with their argument? Or are you implying something more sinister and insulting? I'd like an answer.

What I was doing was pointing out your inconsistency in argument. Pot calling the kettle black type of thing. But you knew that, didn't you?

Archived