Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

if we trade golston......or rocky.....i don't know what i'll say. i have faith that we won't. :fingersx:

Golston, there is no way we should trade him. Rocky, I'm fine with trading for Briggs, but not the #6 and rocky.

I'd rather do something like Rocky and next year's first for Briggs straight up.

The Skins cannot make this trade.... Giving up the #6 pick, plus Marshall/Mcintosh, and Golston?!

Not only are we giving up a potential immediate impact player that we could acquire from the #6 pick, or by trading up, but we are also giving up Golston who was drafted by the Skins, and is one of few pure Skins we have on the roster. Giving up Marshall would make some sense I suppose since we would have 5 LB's with Briggs anyways, but giving up on McIntosh after one season in which he only started playing towards the end of the year would be ridiculous.

However, even if we only give up Marshall plus the #6 pick, this trade still seems ludicrous to me. Why can't we just stick with our guys for once? Marshall had a great season just two years ago....

Seems to me like this deal is doomed. The Skins front office couldn't possibly be dumb enough to trade McIntosh whom we gave up picks last year for. Aside from that, Briggs' success could be attributed at least partially to the system that he was working in - a system that will not be the same in Washington. On top of that, this guy looks EXACTLY like the free agents who have cased this franchise for incredible amounts of money and underperformed. He's obviously a selfish player who puts money before being successful (multiple pro-bowl games and a SuperBowl appearance plus 7.2 mil is not enough? pfft). Chicago should have stuck with the original deal. Neither team will come off of their current offers (I hope).

I'm pretty confident that Briggs will not be a Redskin if this is really what the Bears are trying to pull, although I've been surprised before.

What an asinine scenario, regardless of whether or not it holds any validity. Rocky and Lemar become "only depth" if we aquire Briggs...yeah, that's true, and we all know how needless good depth is to any team. As long as we have decent starters who cares who we have behind them?

And let's see just how many players the Skins can give up on after only one year...there's Archuletta, there's McIntosh, there's Golston...hell, even Campell's only been here two years, so maybe there's somethng to that Russell rumor afterall. And is one of the proposals really "We'll give you Briggs and the #31 for your #6 and Golston"?

Can we please stop looking at players as if we're 12 year old boys with trading cards?

And finally, do we need an OLB THAT badly?...After two years of Warrick "Ole!" Holdman being given the starting job as if it was his birthright, why do the scenarios have the Skins suddenly willing to sell their grandmothers to satan to fill the spot with a high-quality starter?

What an asinine scenario, regardless of whether or not it holds any validity. Rocky and Lemar become "only depth" if we aquire Briggs...yeah, that's true, and we all know how needless good depth is to any team. As long as we have decent starters who cares who we have behind them?

And let's see just how many players the Skins can give up on after only one year...there's Archuletta, there's McIntosh, there's Golston...hell, even Campell's only been here two years, so maybe there's somethng to that Russell rumor afterall. And is one of the proposals really "We'll give you Briggs and the #31 for your #6 and Golston"?

Can we please stop looking at players as if we're 12 year old boys with trading cards?

:notworthy

I think this F.O. has shown that they don't mind over-paying for whichever big-name player they would like to have this year. So, there's no telling what they'll give up for Briggs.

But here's what I don't understand: why didn't our front office ask for more in return for Briggs and the the #6 pick to begin with? They could have asked for the Bear's third rounder, #94, as well, for example. That way Jerry Angelo could Have "saved face" by countering with Briggs plus #31 and they could finalize the deal with Angelo claiming that he "won" the negotiation.

I'm not saying I'm for the deal. Instead, I'm saying that I just don't understand the inability of this F.O. to recognize and correct their mistakes in how they go about making deals.

Instead of Briggs can we get a football guy in a suit that has a resume of evaluating talent for at least 30 years, can take a step back and look at the game plan of the team and create a list of players, free agents, rookies, CFL , AFL, popwarner, whoever, that will fit whatever the system the coaching staff wants to use?

And he has to have the balls to stand up to the owner and coaches, regardless of what looks flashy and who has a personal connection to staff and ownership.

Hell he doesnt have to be wearing a suit, just bring your knowledge to the team.

No way should the Skins give up a player in this trade as well. Unless of course the Bears would send extra draft picks our way. I don't like the current deal, I belive the Skins should get a third rounder in addition to the 31st pick and Briggs. If we give up a player in addition to the 6th pick, then I will have to join others in saying that it was a bad move. Hopefully the Skins will play smart like they have done so far this offseason, and realize the Bears want too much, and that there will be other teams interested in the 6th spot.

Instead of Briggs can we get a football guy in a suit that has a resume of evaluating talent for at least 30 years, can take a step back and look at the game plan of the team and create a list of players, free agents, rookies, CFL , AFL, popwarner, whoever, that will fit whatever the system the coaching staff wants to use?

And he has to have the balls to stand up to the owner and coaches, regardless of what looks flashy and who has a personal connection to staff and ownership.

Hell he doesnt have to be wearing a suit, just bring your knowledge to the team.

Apparently not. The best we can hope for is that Dan Snyder and Vinny join a "keeper" fantasy football league.

Every draft pick this year for Scott Pioli? In a heartbeat.

remember, this is just what CHICAGO is SUPPPOSEDLY going to counter with. The redskins front haven't made a move involved with this offer ( yet :( ). So no need to go jumping off bridges just yet.

With that said, however, if we do make some kind of stupid deal like this, I will have lost the little faith that I had left in this organization

Man, people want to jump off of buildings because of a counteroffer?

Let's chill guys. So far, everything is talk. I'm sure if you heard half of the trade offers teams usually get, you'd have heart attacks. There isn't any indication that the Skins are seriously considering this, so why get your panties in a bunch over it?

Also, I don't think going after Briggs means the team is giving up on Rocky. Rocky is a fine young player who has done a lot on teams, and I doubt that he's going to become a throwin in a trade like this. Same goes with Golston.

Marshall is the only guy I could see included in such a trade. He would at least give the Bears a replacement for Briggs for relatively cheap while they develop another guy, but I'd want a lower round pick in addition, maybe a 4th or 5th.

Personally, I don't think it is going to happen. In the end, this will all be talk.

Jason

but once again, can anyone now doubt that the Redskins are all but admitting they made a mistake drafting McIntosh and giving up those picks?

there is no way the Redskins pursue this trade if the team really believed Rocky would develop into a upper echelon player in the NFL.

what is aggravating is that the current staff is taking the same approach that Casserly did in the mid-1990's, spend all the money on the linebackers (Harvey, Patton, etc.) and fill in on the defensive line with average performers and hope to have a quality defense.

didn't happen then and won't happen now.

It's not much of a defense of our front office, but there are aspects of this story and our trade proposal that seem so classically impulsive on the part of Snyder and Cerrato that I wonder if it's even that well thought out. I mean seriously, they're in a bar with the King of Salesmanship, Rosenhaus, getting sold on the virtues of Lance Briggs and they hatch a trade with Chicago and contract with Briggs?

I'm half wondering whether this basically amounted to, "Hey, something shiny! I want it!"

It's not much of a defense of our front office, but there are aspects of this story and our trade proposal that seem so classically impulsive on the part of Snyder and Cerrato that I wonder if it's even that well thought out. I mean seriously, they're in a bar with the King of Salesmanship, Rosenhaus, getting sold on the virtues of Lance Briggs and they hatch a trade with Chicago and contract with Briggs?

I'm half wondering whether this basically amounted to, "Hey, something shiny! I want it!"

This is exactly what it sounds like. Hopefully Joe has the balls to put the kabosh on this silly, silly trade. :(

People are not jumping off the bridge because of a counter offer. People (at least me) seem to be jumping off the bridge cos this trade is even still being discussed. Not only is it still being discussed, but the Bears are telling the skins that the mistake they are about to make isn't dumb enough, and are trying to help the skins make it even dumber by sending a counteroffer to possibly include some of our promising young talent. I think people are concerned because, knowing the skins front office, people think they actually MIGHT take the counteroffer, even though the original deal in itself is garbage.

I wonder if this trade is only on the plate if we can't somehow come up with another trade to trade down/up in the draft. Kind of like a insurance. I say this because Gibbs mentioned nothing was imminent when the trade discussions first were going on. If they are set on not drafting at 6, then maybe they just have this trade in case they can't find another way to move out of 6.

Bears fans apparently want Rocky ...

Honestly this is what I've been wanting since the whole Redskins trade rumor started. I believe that with our coaches to groom him Rocky would end up surpassing the achievements of Lance on our team. Leaping up in pic to a spot to trade down from for more first days pic, and getting Rocky would be an excellent start to next season for us. I would estimate Rocky's upside enough to give the skins our 7th or 5th pic even as well in this situation if they demanded it.
Last year in the draft Angelo did look at Mcintosh at the scouting combine, because I remember JA saying he liked his athleticism in an article. Cant remember which papre had it, anyway, Rocky would not only be a good fit for WLB in our cover 2, but JA also saves a draft pick for another position of need. I hope the Skins are dumb enough to give Rocky to us along with the 6th pick. I haev a felling Old JA is going to work Snyder over like a plate of BBQ ribs. GO BEARS!
It sounds about right. If the Redskins ae willing to pay Briggs thay kind of money, he's worth more than they're offering. By giving us McIntosh, they get to recover some money they'll need for Briggs on a player that will not be on the field once Briggs is on board. 6 and 53(McIntosh) for Briggs and 31 is close to the right value considering that Will becomes a need after the trade and McIntosh is a real good fit for this D. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this went down but with the Bears adding a second day pick to close the deal.

Good luck finding one complete sentence on that forum that doesn't have a typo, misspelling, or obvious grammatical error lol.

Archived