Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

Didn't most of us feel this would be the result of the Redskins offer? I think that the original offer to Chicago was biased in their favor but would be acceptable. Briggs is the type of player a defense can build around. Who else on the defense could be that type of player? Maybe ST but how many def are built around a safety? That being said, Chicago is asking too much. At this point I think the Redskins should modify the offer by offering Marshall for their 2nd rounder or Anderson or walk away from the deal. The FO should take their time answering Chicago even if we have no intention of accepting or dropping the offer. If the Redskins want a smokescreen in place as to what they will do on draft day this would be perfect.

There's the worst front office in the league at work! Nothing you can say to defend any of those trades or this one. It's sad and pathetic--it makes me dislike our owner so much, decorum prevents me from saying what I think about him here.

People also need to stop putting all the blame on Snyder and Cerrato. All Gibbs needs to say is no, and the deal is off, but the fact that this trade has gone has far as it has means he is signing off on it too. God, when this man was brought back to the Skins all I heard from the old-timers on here was how great he is, how super smart he is, how he is a Redskins god. But now I am starting to wonder if Bobby Bearthard (sp?) was the sole brain behind the teams that won those superbowls. GIBBS HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!

Give them Marshall and get an additional pick. Otherwise, forget it!

Marshall + #6 pick

for

Briggs + #31 pick + 3rd round pick

Done!

I'd rather give up Rocky than Marshall but thats me (assuming we are giving up someone). I'd rather we just not do the trade at all.

1.Briggs is a Pro Bowler because of the system he is in AND because he plays with some guy named Urlacher. Do not underestimate this.
I have always thought this as well. I figured Tommie Harris, Ogunleye and the rest of that nasty D-Line have made life easier for Briggs, but after talking with a die-hard Bears fan this weekend, he assured me that Urlacher is the biggest reason for Briggs' success.

Gibbs is a proven coach who is a neophyte in the front office making deals, learning and making mistakes along the way. Cerrato can't find his behind using both hands. Gregg Williams is a failed head coach who is a capable defensive coordinator when he manages his unit and doesn't get unfettered access on personnel decisions.

That is the front office team here, combining with Snyder whose main contribution seems to be how to fit salaries in under the cap. But he has no experience evaluating players and probably couldn't tell you 5 things to look for in evaluating a DE or LB.

Is one really to expect a Super Bowl team with good depth and youth based on the team above assembled to make the decisions? :)

It's the old input-output system. Garbage in, garbage out.

I hope the Redskins just pull the offer off the table. We can always get Briggs next year when he's a FA if we don't think Rocky is progressing.

Finally, some common sense.

I know this doesn't relate to the Briggs offer because the Skins have already offered a multi-year deal - which is STUPID. Why sign Briggs to a multi-year contract when he could pan out to be another Archuletta? The Redskins, if they are smart, should get players in the future for 1 year deals and see how they pan out. If they play well, then consider signing them long term if this is the path they choose.

At any rate, I hope the front office will pass on this offer and wait out to see what happens with Briggs in Chicago kind of like what Chicago did to us with Arch. They waited, we signed Arch to a HUGE contract, he blew, we benched him, then traded him for a ham sammich. The skins should do something similar. If Briggs plays for 6 games next season his value HAS to decrease and we should be able to aquire him for much less than the 6th overall pick in the draft. Ya with me?

the Redskins obviously feel that as a free agent without compensation, other teams would step up and offer Briggs a good contract. it is the compensation that is causing teams to sit back and watch this play out.

Briggs as a FA is not going to ultimately come to a 5-11 team like the Redskins.

that's why the Redskins don't feel they can take the patient route with this or any other deal.

because of the blowups on the Coles and Archuleta contracts, big name free agents are going to be leery about signing here if there is a comparable deal elsewhere.

besides, the days of 2005/2006 when the Redskins had millions to spend under the cap are over.

Agreed - Anderson would change the whole complexion of the trade.

Look, i'd love that, too. But why would the Bears trade their stud rookie DE? They have no reason to. And talk about an outcry their fan base would go nuts if they did. There has been no mention in any article that this is a possibility.

Am I the only one who is now watching this unfold as one would watch a car wreck?

I want to turn away.

I want to go hide somewhere and hope that it doesn't happen.

I want to hope that somehow this will be avoided and everything will be okay.

And yet, I can't turn away. I have a bizarre curiosity to see if our FO is really this retarded.

In a way, I now want this trade to happen. The meltdown on this board would be of historic preportions.

Kind of funny how you guys are believing this supposed "counter offer" when it hasn't even been made public.

Mark Anderson is going nowhere and for any of you to think he would be thrown in... get off the crack pipe.

Secondly, calm down about your DL, Golston, we don't need a DL. Rest easy.

If you turn down this trade it hurts Briggs more than the Bears. Briggs is the one who wants out, he wants the big $$ he is not going to get long term from the Bears. Here is a guy who will be making $7 mil + and he is unhappy, go figure.

Before you guys approached the Bears, they were and are ready to go to battle without him. They are ready for him to sit and so are the fans. This trade is just a bonus to us fans.

Briggs a not a LB "to build around", he is a complimentary player and a good one. He wants "to be the man" but I don't see it happening.

If the Bears counter offer is turned down, I won't lose any sleep over it and I think it will be pretty funny actually. Briggs thinks he is worth a lot more than he is and with no other teams looking to trade, puts him and Rosensleeze right in their place.

I am not surprised the bears countered with this offer. look at our track record here....we make horrible trades and get bamboozled by other teams. They probably figure we just might be dumb enough to accept the deal. I would completely loose it if we gave up any of our guys for briggs.

If we were talking about a stud DL, then maybe I would understand this since DL is a glaring need on this team....but another linebacker? I thought bringing in Fletcher and moving Marshall back to the outside was a great improvement already.

This just feels like last year when the team needed another WR and went ahead and got 2...how did that work out??

It would be great to be able to sign pro bowl players to one year deals but that ain't gonna happen. Signing players to huge long term contracts isn't the problem. Evaluating the players before signing them is the problem. If the player is in fact a great player and would fit the system being run we would want to tie him up as long as possible wouldn't we?

People also need to stop putting all the blame on Snyder and Cerrato. All Gibbs needs to say is no, and the deal is off, but the fact that this trade has gone has far as it has means he is signing off on it too. God, when this man was brought back to the Skins all I heard from the old-timers on here was how great he is, how super smart he is, how he is a Redskins god. But now I am starting to wonder if Bobby Bearthard (sp?) was the sole brain behind the teams that won those superbowls. GIBBS HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING!!!

I don't agree with the full point here. But I do agree that Gibbs clearly has his hand in the FO deals. We all love to put them squarely on the owner and Cerrato as if poor Gibbs is fighting them at every turn and taking them kicking and screaming -- but I have read nothing to make me think anything other than Gibbs has his hands DEEP in these deals. But Gibbs and the glory years wasn't all about Bearthard. Yeah Bearthard was the GM, HE made the deals not Gibbs.

Gibbs was the coach and a great one at that. Gibbs NOW is in a really new position for the first time he's part of the Skins GM Team. He wasn't their personnel guy in the 80s nor took credit for the personnel moves. His magic was him being a coach, still a good coach IMO.

I know it is a horrible thing to think, but when I heard originally that the Redskins were trying to trade for Briggs, I assumed the deal was for the #6 pick straight up :doh:

I didn't even think the Redskins would have asked for the #31 pick.

It's just a sign of how things have gone here.

So many picks wasted.

So many trades made for even productive players who could have been acquired for a cheaper price in dollars and picks.

And one other thing that no one else has mentioned (in this thread) that I'm actually very curious about - why are we the only team making a bid for this guy?

That's easy because everyone knows that this is the place where disgruntled players who need to get paid want to be. The whole league knows that the front office is a joke that is infatuated with big names and could care less about the draft.

this damn FO has go to NOW. Joe Gibbs included. 3 seasons in... Joe isn't making mistakes.... he's making ASTRONOMICAL mistakes with money and draft picks... and he's done them in his 3rd season back.

I'm starting to agree with this, unfortunately. However I agree with JLC that this trade seems owner-driven, and does not come from the coaches. I think Gibbs got in a little over his head - maybe he thought he could roll like he did in the 80s, and found out he couldn't. This is why he brought in Saunders, IMO.

If the Redskins have given up hope on Rocky... I'm going to be the most pessimist member of this community. Because this team will have the worst talent evaluators and coaches in the NFL.

I will be right there with ya. My new best friends will be AJ_Skins and MRMADD, and I will watch all Skins games under protest. :)

I know it is a horrible thing to think, but when I heard originally that the Redskins were trying to trade for Briggs, I assumed the deal was for the #6 pick straight up :doh:

I didn't even think the Redskins would have asked for the #31 pick.

It's just a sign of how things have gone here.

So many picks wasted.

So many trades made for even productive players who could have been acquired for a cheaper price in dollars and picks.

omg i thought the same thing:laugh:

Archived