Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

it would be refreshing to see the Redskins for once stay in their slot and find that player in the draft that will turn out to be the next Richard Seymour or Michael Strahan.

to me this team seems afraid of having to make a pick when there isn't a clear cut choice that any armchair fan could make by reading Athlons or Kiper's Report.

these guys are professionals. act like it.

I refuse to believe the Skins will go through with this trade, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Trade Golston??? A promising young DT, and trade the LB we drafted last year and gave up two picks for??? That would be beyond foolish in my opinion.

It makes sense to add one of our LB's to the deal because it leaves us with too many OLB's, however the picks to be traded would have to be adjusted.

I'm against adding Golston - our D-line is already weak so why would we further weaken it?

As for who has leverage, the Bears do. Yes, they have the player who doesn't want to play for them anymore, but they are also clearly willing to pay Briggs for one season at the franchise player rate and they also don't want to sign him to a long-term contract given their financial commitment to Urlacher. Besides, there's the old adage about the person who speaks first in a negotiation losing - we spoke, or perhaps more accurately, slurred first.

I'm still against this trade, BTW.

If we were to trade for Briggs, I could see putting Rocky in, or perhaps even Golston, though less likely, but ONLY in return for Mark Anderson.[/quote

That would be a great trade for the Redskins but I can't see Chicago giving up a good, young, cheap player like Anderson. Good thinking though! :applause:

but once again, can anyone now doubt that the Redskins are all but admitting they made a mistake drafting McIntosh and giving up those picks?

there is no way the Redskins pursue this trade if the team really believed Rocky would develop into a upper echelon player in the NFL.

what is aggravating is that the current staff is taking the same approach that Casserly did in the mid-1990's, spend all the money on the linebackers (Harvey, Patton, etc.) and fill in on the defensive line with average performers and hope to have a quality defense.

didn't happen then and won't happen now.

I aint go lie. I was for this trade but now reading this. HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Have the bears lost ther f****** mind. If snyder does that then he is stupid. Briggs and 31st pick for our # 6, thats it, take it or leave it. I say no and just keep our pick.

When you demonstrate your ability to allow yourself to be fleeced, people are going to come to you with these kinds of insulting offers. How can the Bears expect the Redskins to part with a player in addition to a 6th pick? All of that in return for a disgruntled player. Any rational front office that's not infatuated with big names will reject this offer.

I agree with Art, if we're throwing in another player, so should they. And personally, out of everyone mentioned so far, I would hope it'd be Marshall. Keep the young guys, please.

And one other thing that no one else has mentioned (in this thread) that I'm actually very curious about - why are we the only team making a bid for this guy?

it would be refreshing to see the Redskins for once stay in their slot and find that player in the draft that will turn out to be the next Richard Seymour or Michael Strahan.

to me this team seems afraid of having to make a pick when there isn't a clear cut choice that any armchair fan could make by reading Athlons or Kiper's Report.

these guys are professionals. act like it.

I think the jury's out on whether some of these guys are actually professionals. This deal CANNOT happen--I don't care what Art says--I don't care how "stupid" the rest of us are and how brilliant Vinny and Danny are--this just cannot happen. It would set us back drastically, it would destroy chemistry...in short, it would be an unmitigated disaster.

I agree with Art, if we're throwing in another player, so should they. And personally, out of everyone mentioned so far, I would hope it'd be Marshall. Keep the young guys, please.

And one other thing that no one else has mentioned (in this thread) that I'm actually very curious about - why are we the only team making a bid for this guy?

WHAT?????????????? How can you people be serious...throwing in another young player???? We have up 2 second round picks for McIntosh...Golston is the only decent player we've found beyond the 4th round. This is complete insanity. This is one of the worst trades I have ever heard of...that's how bad it is...it's historically bad.

but once again, can anyone now doubt that the Redskins are all but admitting they made a mistake drafting McIntosh and giving up those picks?

there is no way the Redskins pursue this trade if the team really believed Rocky would develop into a upper echelon player in the NFL.

what is aggravating is that the current staff is taking the same approach that Casserly did in the mid-1990's, spend all the money on the linebackers (Harvey, Patton, etc.) and fill in on the defensive line with average performers and hope to have a quality defense.

didn't happen then and won't happen now.

I still think McIntosh will be good for us. While I think Greg Williams is a great DC and all I think he stunned Rock's development by playing Holdman too long. Most of the problem deals with him and his so called scheme. He needs to start rookies earlier and Rock should have played a lot early than he did. Hopefully he'll come off of his high horse and pencil Rock in as the starter this season. No way we include Rock in this deal!!!!!

Just in case any front office people read this and give a crap about what the fans think, here is a summary:

1.Briggs is a Pro Bowler because of the system he is in AND because he plays with some guy named Urlacher. Do not underestimate this.

2. It is debatable if Briggs is worth a #6 to #31 swap (equivalent to a #16) but he is DEFINITELY NOT worth the Bear's counter offer of including one of our younger players.

3. What are the Bears going to do if you don't budge on your offer? Say no, get no other offers, have Briggs sit for a year and franchise him again? Don't forget Briggs doesn't want to play there AND no one else is "bidding" for him. You are doing them a favor in offering a #6 to #31 swap for him.

As Bulldog said--you can't have a good offense without a good offensive line and you can't have a good defense without a good defensive line...why is this such a mystery to the redskins? We've neglected our D-line for over a decade, and now it looks as though the trend will continue.

Just in case any front office people read this and give a crap about what the fans think, here is a summary:

1.Briggs is a Pro Bowler because of the system he is in AND because he plays with some guy named Urlacher. Do not underestimate this.

2. It is debatable if Briggs is worth a #6 to #31 swap (equivalent to a #16) but he is DEFINITELY NOT worth the Bear's counter offer of including one of our younger players.

3. What are the Bears going to do if you don't budge on your offer? Say no, get no other offers, have Briggs sit for a year and franchise him again? Don't forget Briggs doesn't want to play there AND no one else is "bidding" for him. You are doing them a favor in offering a #6 to #31 swap for him.

Exactly--as usual Danny boy and Vinny are negotiating with themselves. Well, if the old say, "a fool and his money soon part ways" you have to believe that one day Danny will go bankrupt and have to sell the team. He is such a freakin disgrace.

All I'm saying is this, if the Redskins wanted a stud linebacker so bad, why didn't they just sign Adalius Thomas when he was available WITHOUT HAVING TO GIVE AWAY A #6 PICK. Now not only that, we might also be giving away some of our young promising players.

My upcoming statement might offend a few, so if you are one of those who think Gibbs is a god, kindly close this window now. If we make this trade, ESPECIALLY if we agree to any of the counteroffers mentioned, then Gibbs and the whole Redksins staff are collectively ****** morons. This is the worst proposed trade I've ever heard of.

I am having such a hard time figuring out which is the worst: Brunell for a 3rd round pick (There were many QB's available in free agent market that offseason), Champ Bailey - #1 corner in the NFL AND a 2nd round pick for Portis, T.J Duckett for a 3rd round pick, Brandon lloyd for a 3rd and a 4th, or #6 pick (possibly along with Rocky McIntosh, Kedric Golston or Lemar Marshall) for Lance Briggs and the 31st pick in the draft.

I'm sorry... but if the Redskins traded Rocky MacIntosh for 2 2nd-round picks and a 6th rounder... and then give up on him after 1 year and also get rid of Archuletta after 1 season after making him the highest paid safety in NFL history....

this damn FO has go to NOW. Joe Gibbs included. 3 seasons in... Joe isn't making mistakes.... he's making ASTRONOMICAL mistakes with money and draft picks... and he's done them in his 3rd season back.

To me, that screams there is NO hope... no reason to believe he's learned anything about anything. All these huge mistakes were done just yesterday.

You can't keep making these mistakes... and you can't keep making them every season.

If the Redskins have given up hope on Rocky... I'm going to be the most pessimist member of this community. Because this team will have the worst talent evaluators and coaches in the NFL.

This is complete crap. No way any of this happens. We don't even need Briggs, why would we give up one of our linebackers for him? Joe won't do it.

You have so much faith. I wish I could say that I have that same hope, but with this team, nothing would surprise me anymore when it comes to being stuck in Stupidometry 101.

Meantime, the Redskins emerged as the only outside bidder for Briggs at last week's owners' meetings in Phoenix, after a suggestion by Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that the Redskins initiate a trade with Chicago.

Is this dude everyone's agent? I don't exactly pay attention to agents, but this guy seems to be behind every disgruntled NFL player lately.

All I'm saying is this, if the Redskins wanted a stud linebacker so bad, why didn't they just sign Adalius Thomas when he was available WITHOUT HAVING TO GIVE AWAY A #6 PICK. Now not only that, we might also be giving away some of our young promising players.

My upcoming statement might offend a few, so if you are one of those who think Gibbs is a god, kindly close this window now. If we make this trade, ESPECIALLY if we agree to any of the counteroffers mentioned, then Gibbs and the whole Redksins staff are collectively ****** morons. This is the worst proposed trade I've ever heard of.

I am having such a hard time figuring out which is the worst: Brunell for a 3rd round pick (There were many QB's available in free agent market that offseason), Champ Bailey - #1 corner in the NFL AND a 2nd round pick for Portis, T.J Duckett for a 3rd round pick, Brandon lloyd for a 3rd and a 4th, or #6 pick (possibly along with Rocky McIntosh, Kedric Golston or Lemar Marshall) for Lance Briggs and the 31st pick in the draft.

There's the worst front office in the league at work! Nothing you can say to defend any of those trades or this one. It's sad and pathetic--it makes me dislike our owner so much, decorum prevents me from saying what I think about him here.

If we got Anderson it would turn me from loathing this deal to absolutely screaming for it.

Briggs and a player of Anderson's potential would be amazing...even if we had to throw in an additional 2nd day pick to do it.

That said, I can't see Chicago doing that...and I hope this deal falls apart.

Agreed - Anderson would change the whole complexion of the trade.

"This is madness, this is blasphemy!"

"Madness?...."THIS... IS... SNYDER!!!!"

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Redskins come back with a counter offer of go F yourselves. As bulldog said, nobody else is making a play for him, so why add more?

Because we have a history of being bent over on trades. :(

I don't care what Art or any of the other FO supporters say - Briggs and #31 for #6 is already slightly in the Bears' favor. If we throw in a player, ESPECIALLY someone like Golston (a diamond in the rough), I will go ape****. ARGH!!

This front office is run by a bunch of freaking baboons. Actually no...a bunch of baboons would probably do a better job. :doh:

Archived