Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/01/AR2007040101038.html

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 2, 2007; Page E03

The Washington Redskins' proposed trade for Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs will reach a secondary stage today when the Bears are expected to counter the Redskins' offer of the team's sixth overall pick in next month's draft in return for Chicago's 31st pick and Briggs.

During the week, Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo said he would use the weekend to consult with his staff and consider the Redskins' offer for the 26-year-old Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl weak-side linebacker who has been in a contract dispute with the team since the Bears lost to Indianapolis in the Super Bowl. The dispute centers on Chicago's decision to name Briggs the team's franchise player, which allows it to pay him a one-year contract at $7.2 million. Briggs wants a long-term contract and has threatened to sit out for most of next season if the Bears don't trade him or work out an extension. On Saturday, Angelo said a long-term deal was unlikely, even in the event that Briggs plays in Chicago next season under the franchise tag.

Meantime, the Redskins emerged as the only outside bidder for Briggs at last week's owners' meetings in Phoenix, after a suggestion by Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that the Redskins initiate a trade with Chicago.

Though Chicago does not have a ready replacement for Briggs, the deal appears to favor Chicago, according to sources who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations. However, according to league sources, the Bears want more.

Sources said the Bears will ask the Redskins for a player in addition to the sixth pick, which they likely would trade to stockpile more first-day draft picks. Sources say the Bears could ask for middle linebacker Lemar Marshall, who started the last two seasons but will be a backup with the arrival of London Fletcher. The Bears also might ask the Redskins to part with either linebacker Rocky McIntosh, for whom the Redskins gave up two draft picks to select in the second round of last year's draft, or defensive tackle Kedric Golston, the fifth-round pick who played his way into the starting lineup last year, replacing Joe Salave'a.

If we were to trade for Briggs, I could see putting Rocky in, or perhaps even Golston, though less likely, but ONLY in return for Mark Anderson. Meaning, if we acquired Briggs and then viewed Rocky as purely depth, it would not be unreasonable or impossible for the team to turn back to Chicago and attempt to additionally strengthen defensive end with a young player who had 12 sacks a year ago. Otherwise, I would think that's too great a price to pay -- No. 16 in the draft per the value chart AND last year's second -- for Briggs.

First, most of us are not happy with a trade briggs and 31 for 6 anyways, but if we add anything else to this trade player or picks... I think we should all head down to Redskin park and have a little rally to voice our displeasure with the FO. This is getting foolish now.

If we were to trade for Briggs, I could see putting Rocky in, or perhaps even Golston, though less likely, but ONLY in return for Mark Anderson. Meaning, if we acquired Briggs and then viewed Rocky as purely depth, it would not be unreasonable or impossible for the team to turn back to Chicago and attempt to additionally strengthen defensive end with a young player who had 12 sacks a year ago. Otherwise, I would think that's too great a price to pay -- No. 16 in the draft per the value chart AND last year's second -- for Briggs.

If we got Anderson it would turn me from loathing this deal to absolutely screaming for it.

Briggs and a player of Anderson's potential would be amazing...even if we had to throw in an additional 2nd day pick to do it.

That said, I can't see Chicago doing that...and I hope this deal falls apart.

Briggs coming here evidently means the Redskins have given up on McIntosh. So, in that regard I would consider adding McIntosh to the deal FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE. Given the Redskins paradigm I would not consider Kedric Golston at all.

If this were strictly a decision I would make on my own, I would pass on giving the Bears anything else. No one else has made an offer for Briggs. We are competing against ourselves.

Of course, my own feeling from the beginning has been that we should keep the #6 pick or trade down and pick up as many younger blue chip prospects as we can.

This team has very few younger, cheaper picks waiting to take over starting jobs in the next 1-2 years.

We have starters and then 31-32 year old backups on vet minimum contracts.

Sorry but Briggs is not worth that. I say we keep our own players and either A. Select a player with the 6th pick or B.Trade down the and pick up additional picks. Too big of a price to pay especially when we have needs in other areas. We should be dictating the terms of the deal to them not them to us. We should offer them a 2008 2nd round draft pick and maybe Marshall and no more!! I have to applaud the FO this year for the FA's the got this year(Smoot/Fletcher) and not over paying for Clements. But If they come with this offer I'd say reject them and give them the 2nd rd pick offer.

I agree with Art in the fact that if we could get a mark anderson in return - that would be possible. I really do not think the Bears would do that. If we make the trade as is, it is a horrible deal and I would really question what they are thinking. Not that I haven't already...but this would really be foolish.

This is the best thing that could happen with this situation. This gives The Redskins a chance to back out of the trade and save a little face. :stop: I can't believe the Bears didn't take the initial offer. :whew:

I'm still scared to death that Briggs will be another high cost, highly paid, underacheiving Redskin very soon. I find myself checking the internet every few hours, mostly out of fear/anger. :readnews: I'm still holding onto hope, though, that we do the right thing and walk away. :kickcan:

Please, please, please let common sense prevail here!!!!! :fingersx:

Archived