Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

With this coaching staff I'm convinced we could turn a few first day picks into real studs -- Golston was found in the 6th and he has starter potential.

What more could be done with a #6 overall like Branch or a trade back to get a guy like Okoye and perhaps a DE in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Remember, the Bears found Mark Anderson in the middle of last year's draft. The Eagles found Trent Cole in the 5th and he's a decent DE, nothing special.

The Chiefs found Jared Allen, who currently still owns us, was picked in the 4th Round!!

Why not us???

Because quite frankly, we can't find another trading partner. Thinker's connundrum sums it up very nicely. Assuming we can't trade down, Briggs and the 31st would mean 2 solid additions to the defense as opposed to just one if we actually drafted at the 6th, which Gibbs has openly stated he DOESN'T want to do.

Well, screaming your head off before the deal isn't going to do any good either. They will either do it, or they won't. Our input doesn't matter. That's probably a good thing, since I read about worse things on this board than anything the FO is doing.

Also, most of the personnel decisions under Gibbs have been pretty good. The bigger fear is the tendency to pay a lot for these players, but I doubt that they will pay much more than the initial offer. Most of the trades that the Skins have made, while a little high, have not been stupid.

Rather than wring my hands about it now, I'd rather sit back and wait until something confirmed happens before I call the FO a bunch of idiots.

Jason

Well, some of us don't need to wait around to do that...some of us have seen the writing on the wall for years. We no longer wait around to lambast the front office--they deserve all of our criticism and more! You're one of the people on this board who will seemingly defend every idiotic move we make. Fine--that's your right. However--most of the trades we have made HAVE BEEN STUPID...what will it take for you to admit that the skins get their shirts handed to them almost every time they make a trade? As far as I'm concerned, we've made three good trades/acquisitions: Griffin, Springs, Washington, Moss. The rest have ranged from not great to absolute disaster. So, go ahead and play the pollyanna role--those of us who are realists understand that much like the little child who can't sit still, Snyder cannot stand to do things quietly and correctly. He has to do a deal...that's the way he's programmed. He and Cerrato are really the only constants throughout his horrendous reign of ownership. Is Gibbs to blame? Hell yes he is. But, I put much of this at the feet of Snyderatto.

Well, screaming your head off before the deal isn't going to do any good either. They will either do it, or they won't. Our input doesn't matter. That's probably a good thing, since I read about worse things on this board than anything the FO is doing.

Also, most of the personnel decisions under Gibbs have been pretty good. The bigger fear is the tendency to pay a lot for these players, but I doubt that they will pay much more than the initial offer. Most of the trades that the Skins have made, while a little high, have not been stupid.

Rather than wring my hands about it now, I'd rather sit back and wait until something confirmed happens before I call the FO a bunch of idiots.

Jason

The only way to get the FO to pay attention would be by doing some kind of boycot, so it would hit Snyder were it hurts ... His Wallet !!! But we know this won't happen b/c we're loyal fans thru thick and thin !!!

I say we get T-Shirts made up protesting the fact we have no GM and Snyder is a moron and wear them to every event and every game possible !!!

I guess we are the only dipsh1ts in the league that doesn't see this guy for what he is. A system linebacker that plays on a great defensive team. (see colvin roosevelt for example) If we trade for anybody, make it Brian Urlacher and move london fletcher.

You know why they want more? Because they know Washington has the biggest idiots in the front office and will get more than what anybody else would dare give for this guy. I wonder if Dan Snyder pays double on the tabs he receives at restaurants? It's amazing how this guy got rich with the stupidity he displays in business deals.

Wow, I hate to even begin to agree with this comment...... but I do (to an extent). I would NOT be happy if this (RUMORED) deal went through. Why are we not telling the Bears to blow off until draft day. I was under the impression (and I'm wrong quite a bit so take it for what it is) that WE are in a position of leverage not the Bears. Briggs will not be playing for Chicago. Nobody else wants him. The Redskins have a #6...... I clearly am missing something.

You're one of the people on this board who will seemingly defend every idiotic move we make.

When I feel the Skins have made an idiotic move, I'll call them on it. For example, I thought the Duckett trade was stupid from day one.

However--most of the trades we have made HAVE BEEN STUPID...what will it take for you to admit that the skins get their shirts handed to them almost every time they make a trade?

Yes, the Skins have paid a lot in trade, but at the same time, they do that so that they can get the deals done and get the players the FO feels it needs for the team. Isn't that what you want the FO to do, rather than dicker with price then have to go with the 2nd or 3rd choices?

As far as I'm concerned, we've made three good trades/acquisitions: Griffin, Springs, Washington, Moss. The rest have ranged from not great to absolute disaster.

So, I guess Portis is a bum? Same goes with Cooley, Campbell and Thrash? All of those players came here in trade and so far have been well worth what we have paid.

Jason

So, I guess Portis is a bum? Same goes with Cooley, Campbell and Thrash? All of those players came here in trade and so far have been well worth what we have paid.

Jason

TRADE ??? Cooley ??? Thrash ??? Yes we traded up for Campbell in the draft !!??

Somewhere in the back of my head, amidst all the clutter, is the feeling that something else is brewing in addition to this trade offer for Briggs.

If the Skins DO end up giving up Marshall OR Rocky OR Golston, it could very well be that, besides Briggs, they want that #31 pick in order to sign a first round tendered RFA from another team. A guy like Jared Allen could be had that way. Yes, he has a little baggage but it's no crazier than some of the other stuff I've seen.

Briggs and Allen for the #6 and Marshall would make me feel a bit better about this whole situation.

This would be nothing short of brilliant, but this requires two trades to be made with two different teams, and two new contracts to be signed with two different players. I put the chances of this (or something comparable) happening at less than 10%.

Just as a note to everyone: I'm not really in favor of this trade, and hope we find a better use of the pick than this, but I'll wait until a deal is actually done before expressing an opinion. That's the thing with all the talk, is that things can change. Who knows if the deal will happen and what the parameters will be.

Jason

Jason

That's kind of an odd thing to be saying for a guy who has more than 4300 posts on this board. ;)

It is assumed that we here at this board do not operate with as much - or at least as current - information as the team does on personnel matters, however I don't think that that makes us too ignorant to discuss issues such as proposed trades that the team is discussing.

When I feel the Skins have made an idiotic move, I'll call them on it. For example, I thought the Duckett trade was stupid from day one.

Yes, the Skins have paid a lot in trade, but at the same time, they do that so that they can get the deals done and get the players the FO feels it needs for the team. Isn't that what you want the FO to do, rather than dicker with price then have to go with the 2nd or 3rd choices?

Jason

Cooley Campbell were draft picks...I think we gave up a lot for Campbell--

Thrash??? Are you serious? That's an ok trade, nothing more.

Portis is not a bum--but we gave up the absolute BEST CB in the league and a second-round pick for him...

That's kind of an odd thing to be saying for a guy who has more than 4300 posts on this board. ;)

Maybe, but I like to talk. :silly: Seriously, I like to talk about the Skins, and this gives me an outlet for my opinions.

It is assumed that we here at this board do not operate with as much - or at least as current - information as the team does on personnel matters, however I don't think that that makes us too ignorant to discuss issues such as proposed trades that the team is discussing.

We certainly can discuss it, but to think that anything we have to say will influence the behavior of the FO is kinda silly.

Also, to get emotional over something that hasn't actually happened yet is a bit silly. I'd rather judge things once they actually happen rather than worry about what could happen.

Jason

I, for one, believe that most of this is just a huge smokescreen. I think the FO tipped their hand when they drafted Jason Campbell. Misinformation is a HUGE part of the offseason going into the draft. No team wants any other team to have ANY information that may be useful when negotiating time comes around.

Right now we look to be interested in everyone from Jamarcus Russell to Gevi Balbino. I really believe that this is intentional. I'm not saying this front office is brilliant, but its a positive that they're doing this. I don't think anyone likes to be fleeced in a deal, and Lord knows that we've been done like a prom date, so I would think that the FO would be taking steps to make sure that doesn't happen again.

One would think that with an ego that belies his stature, Dan Snyder would NEVER allow himself to be taken advantage of and then be laughed about in NFL circles, but that seems to be the case year in and year out. When will that ego stop busting our cakes on ticket prices and concessions, and start trying to put together an executive staff worthy of the most profitable sports franchise in the U.S.? I don't think it will ever happen. My hope is that ol Danny will do something brash and draw the ire of the rest of the owners and they force him to sell the team.

Hes a Donald Sterling.......with a checkbook. We will be mediocre or worse, as long as he owns this team.

Cooley Campbell were draft picks...I think we gave up a lot for Campbell--

Draft picks we traded for, so they count.

Thrash??? Are you serious? That's an ok trade, nothing more.

A 5th rounder for a good special teamer and a solid WR who is also a good locker room guy. I think we did pretty well there.

Portis is not a bum--but we gave up the absolute BEST CB in the league and a second-round pick for him...

As Art said, at the time, he might not have been the best CB on the team at that point. In any case, the clock was ticking on that one. Keeping Champ was not an option, and I think we still did well.

Jason

Archived