Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Bears to Come With Briggs Counteroffer Team Likely Seeks a Redskins Defender

Skinsinparadise

So Lloyd is better than Thrash? First off Lloyd isn't even consistent and second off he's uncoachable. Hell he went off on Coach Gibbs. I wouldn't wear a Lloyd jersey. He's that dog that #53 need to take with him. Right now Lloyd is a bum! The man can't even be coached.

As Art said, at the time, he might not have been the best CB on the team at that point. In any case, the clock was ticking on that one. Keeping Champ was not an option, and I think we still did well.

Art's argument is laughable.

And there were options with Champ. I am usually on the side of the players when it comes to contracts, but I would have franchise Champ for three years in order to make the point that I will not be held hostage by players.

The only way this deal makes sense is if Mark Anderson is thrown in, but as previously stated that won't happen more than likely. Anderson is an animal, I watched him in college here too, but I doubt that the Bears will part with him. Although the word around here (Tuscaloosa) is that the people who know him is that he really thinks he deserves to be a starter. Maybe this will provoke him to be added to the trade. Maybe I'm just dreaming because I want my Crimson Tide boys playing for my Redskins.

]']Wow' date=' and the Bears wonder why they can't get over the hump. Good luck getting him off. I can't wait till draft day, they'll practically give this guy away. He won't be any use to them after that.[/quote']

He isn't any use to the Bears now, so what is the difference? As soon as he started spouting off the Bears have basically planned on him not playing. They are on to plan B. Briggs is not in any plans at the moment.

What hump are you talking about? We were just in the Super Bowl and if that is a hump, I'll take getting humped every year.

As far as the Bears offering more, why should they? The Skins are the team that came knocking and made an offer. It is not the Bears to offer more. Your FO wants the player, the Bears want them to step it up a little more. If the skins don't, no loss except to Briggs. The Bears move on and Briggs sits on his azz and makes notta!!!!!!:D

I mean why not trade Marshall along with it? It's not like he'd have much of a role with Briggs here anyway. And it's funny to see how many people are wanting him to stay when last season so many people were calling for his head due to his mistackles. If we get Briggs, then we might as well ship Marshall over there. He would be done anyway.

Like I said a month ago, hire Floyd Reese. Let him hire a scouting department and coaching staff. If he thinks he can work with Gibbs and co, fine. If he doesn't - then I'll be the first to welcome a new coach.

While trading up for Calvin Johnson was a nightmare scenario for me a few weeks ago; us sweetening the pot in an already terrible trade seems like a nuclear holocaust.

I'm getting so tired of reading about how #6 is "no man's land" in the draft. What BS. We will not know if it's no man's land until we're on the clock. There was no way last April that Leinart was going to fall past the Titans and the Jets and Raiders last season. But there he was - a franchise QB sitting at number 10 for the Cardinals.

I know the conventional wisdom is that the 2 QBs, Peterson, CJ, and Thomas are the can't miss guys in this draft and will go 1-5 but I just don't see it. Somebody is falling. And even if we aren't interested in any of those players outside of CJ... Atlanta, Buffalo, and San Fran are armed with a ton of picks and would LOVE to trade up.

Art's argument is laughable.

And there were options with Champ. I am usually on the side of the players when it comes to contracts' date=' but I would have franchise Champ for three years in order to make the point that I will not be held hostage by players.[/quote']

That's exactly why the Bears haven't pulled the trigger on this trade. They feel they are being bullied by Briggs and his slimball agent Drew R. They want to make an example for all players in the league that they are the ones in control. Not the agents/players. (as it should be) I mean, if you give into their demands, you just set the standard for all the other players that will be franchised in the future.

Art saying Bailey wasn't the best CB on the team is laughable. Is he insane? How you give up a shut down corner AND a 2nd round pic for Portis is stupid. Another trade we got robbed in.

Art saying Bailey wasn't the best CB on the team is laughable. Is he insane? How you give up a shut down corner AND a 2nd round pic for Portis is stupid. Another trade we got robbed in.

I have a feeling any trade we made with Champ, people would have felt robbed by. Fact is, Champ didn't want to be here and the clock was ticking to make a deal. The fact that we got a great player in return should be something to rejoice about, not ***** about what we gave up for him.

Jason

I have a feeling any trade we made with Champ, people would have felt robbed by. Fact is, Champ didn't want to be here and the clock was ticking to make a deal. The fact that we got a great player in return should be something to rejoice about, not ***** about what we gave up for him.

Jason

I still don't get why the clock was ticking.

Champ may not have wanted to be here, but...he had to be here. The Redskins did not have to do anything.

The Redskins are also the more "desperate" team in ever trade they make. That's not a recipe for success.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/01/AR2007040101038.html

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 2, 2007; Page E03

The Washington Redskins' proposed trade for Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs will reach a secondary stage today when the Bears are expected to counter the Redskins' offer of the team's sixth overall pick in next month's draft in return for Chicago's 31st pick and Briggs.

During the week, Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo said he would use the weekend to consult with his staff and consider the Redskins' offer for the 26-year-old Briggs, a two-time Pro Bowl weak-side linebacker who has been in a contract dispute with the team since the Bears lost to Indianapolis in the Super Bowl. The dispute centers on Chicago's decision to name Briggs the team's franchise player, which allows it to pay him a one-year contract at $7.2 million. Briggs wants a long-term contract and has threatened to sit out for most of next season if the Bears don't trade him or work out an extension. On Saturday, Angelo said a long-term deal was unlikely, even in the event that Briggs plays in Chicago next season under the franchise tag.

Meantime, the Redskins emerged as the only outside bidder for Briggs at last week's owners' meetings in Phoenix, after a suggestion by Briggs's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, that the Redskins initiate a trade with Chicago.

Though Chicago does not have a ready replacement for Briggs, the deal appears to favor Chicago, according to sources who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of negotiations. However, according to league sources, the Bears want more.QUOTE: This is where the negotiations should end and the redskins ought to realize that it's time to "stop be a patsy" for every team that they wish to deal with. When, if ever, will they learn just how precarious and stupid they've been during acquisitions ? I'm embarassed for them !!! :mad:

Sources said the Bears will ask the Redskins for a player in addition to the sixth pick, which they likely would trade to stockpile more first-day draft picks. Sources say the Bears could ask for middle linebacker Lemar Marshall, who started the last two seasons but will be a backup with the arrival of London Fletcher. The Bears also might ask the Redskins to part with either linebacker Rocky McIntosh, for whom the Redskins gave up two draft picks to select in the second round of last year's draft, or defensive tackle Kedric Golston, the fifth-round pick who played his way into the starting lineup last year, replacing Joe Salave'a.

If they go along with this "crap", i'd put them on my "s*#t" list !!!

That's exactly why the Bears haven't pulled the trigger on this trade. They feel they are being bullied by Briggs and his slimball agent Drew R. They want to make an example for all players in the league that they are the ones in control. Not the agents/players. (as it should be) I mean, if you give into their demands, you just set the standard for all the other players that will be franchised in the future.

:applause: :cheers: EXACTLY!!!!!!! Couldn't have put it better myself. Someone has got to step up to this kind of crap and I am glad Angelo is. If the trade doesn't happen, again, it is Briggs losing not the Bears. Players get replaced all the time, part of the game.

W have another of Rosenarse's clients coming up soon, T Harris, and Prew will know that he can't push Angelo around at that time.

I know it is a horrible thing to think, but when I heard originally that the Redskins were trying to trade for Briggs, I assumed the deal was for the #6 pick straight up :doh:

I didn't even think the Redskins would have asked for the #31 pick.

It's just a sign of how things have gone here.

So many picks wasted.

So many trades made for even productive players who could have been acquired for a cheaper price in dollars and picks.

ROFL!!! The conversation went something like this:

Vinny Bug Eyed Cerrato: Hey Drew, we'll give you the 6th pick in this years draft for that guy who plays linebacker for da bears, how about that?

Drew Rosenhaus: You mean SWAP your 6th pick for the bears 31st pick in the 1st round, RIGHT?

Vinny: Umm, yah.. that's what I meant, tee hee. Hang on Drew: Hey Danny, want me to rub some lotion on your back?? Ok I'm back..

Drew, you there? Helllooooo?

Jason

He had a choice. Either be here and play or sit at home and watch the NFL. Teams have ALL the leverage when they franchise a player. If they wanted to do a straight up trade for portis, that is one thing. Giving up a 2nd round pic as well? Are you fawking kidding me? Great player? He's a RB that came from a system that even YOU could get 1,000 yards. Now he's stays injured most of the time (or so it seems) and Bailey is still a beast and not missing games. You do the math on this one. We should have never traded Bailey. Period.

I still don't get why the clock was ticking.

Champ may not have wanted to be here' date=' but...he had to be here. The Redskins did not have to do anything.

The Redskins are also the more "desperate" team in ever trade they make. That's not a recipe for success.[/quote']

But he did not have to PLAY. Champ was doing the same thing, only a little quieter, that Briggs is doing and which Portis was doing. EXCEPT Champ was not demanding more money; he was demanding to be traded. There is a rumor with some credibility but unsubstantiated, which I will not repost here for that reason..... but the bottom line was Champ was no longer going to play for the Skins.

So we got Portis for a 2nd round pick in my view. Champ was no longer going to be a Redskin. He simply was not going to be on the playing field.

We got a stud running back that Gibbs needed to run his offense; and we got Springs to fill in for a few "partial" years.

Besides, Champ's last two years here, he got burned repeatedly....maybe it was the way he was used but he was no shutdown corner back, especially in his last year. Admittedly, he has played very well the last couple years for Denver

In the end, it was a very fair trade for both clubs.

He had a choice. Either be here and play or sit at home and watch the NFL. Teams have ALL the leverage when they franchise a player. If they wanted to do a straight up trade for portis, that is one thing. Giving up a 2nd round pic as well? Are you fawking kidding me? Great player? He's a RB that came from a system that even YOU could get 1,000 yards. Now he's stays injured most of the time (or so it seems) and Bailey is still a beast and not missing games. You do the math on this one. We should have never traded Bailey. Period.

Your not very intelligent, are you? Portis missed one season, "Stays hurt"...you have no idea what ur talking about he played 15 games in 2004, 16 in 2005, and had an injury in 2006 and still managed to get in their and give us his all for 8 games....injuries happen its football, a very physically demanding sport injuries happen...and it happened because he was giving 100% like he does every play. He is a great running back and he has proven that your ignorance just makes me laugh because you have no clue what you are talking about...

Archived