Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - Strengths and Weaknesses

Jino

Strenghts: Campbell has big arm, good physical build and great vision in the open field.

Weakness: Tends to out think himself when the field gets shorter and crowded in the redzone. Needs to improve and trust his recievers. Needs stop Suisham from kicking field goals, and have him kick more extra points.

what do the experts say?....

817-grey.gif

To Analyze Campbell, 'Jaws' Goes Straight to Video

Former Quarterback Mostly Likes What He Sees After Film Session

The coaches have discussed tweaking Campbell's throwing motion. Mechanically, quarterbacks are taught to begin their throwing motion at mid-chest; a big windup that starts under the belt is a red flag. Jaworski notices Campbell throwing consistently at about his belt or hip, which could cost his release critical milliseconds.

"I think he drops it a hair low here, but nothing I'd be overly concerned with," he says. "I played with Randall Cunningham for a few years, and Randall had a real big arc. . . . If you want to look at an elongated delivery, look at [Jacksonville's] Byron Leftwich. . . . This is not a major problem."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/23/AR2006112301041.html

interesting quote/ side note about the offensive line from a nearly 3 year old artcle:

Center Casey Rabach slides the wrong way, allowing Phillips a clean shot, but Campbell spins away from the sack and hits Thrash for 15 yards and a first down......

For Jaworski, this is the play of the game. He loves Saunders's game plan, but says the pass protection, particularly tackles Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, is preventing touchdown opportunities. Jansen, Jaworski says, is "getting pushed backwards more than I've ever seen him,"....."You've seen two breakdowns in protection that have cost them," says Jaworski, the red laser zeroed on Rabach.

Interesting how in his breakdown of Campbell he goes to his lineman especially in the all critical Redzone production.

I'm not seeing this big arm that some are saying. Candle's arm is above average, but nowhere near an elite level.

then you aren't paying attention. Campbell has seriously aired it out in the past. In fact some of the bombs he's missed have tended to miss long.

It’s interesting to see the thoughts surrounding JC in 2007 vs 2009. 2007 was a year of hope for the Joe Gibbs Redskins, 2009 looks like more like a reality check. JC obviously, has talent. However, he never fixed his long throwing motion nor has he learned to really read defenses, and deliver the ball quickly and on target. Some QBs like Warner don’t have the strong arm, but can burn a blitzing defense to cinders. Warner has a mediocre line, but has the vision and ability to deliver the ball with great accuracy and quickness. JC doesn’t have that skill. The blitz beats down our pathetic line, and JC doesn’t have the vision or the ability to quickly deliver the ball on target to the receiver. Warner carried the Cardinals to the SB. JC is a mediocre starting QB, and is on his way out….rightfully so.

Wow- T started at the beginning and read all of them, and it wasnt till Zskins post did I realize I was reading two year old posts. Jeez, I feel like an idiot.

Would be interesting to see if those that posted back then, still feel the same way.

I still agree, JC has a cannon for an arm, has gotten so much better with his scrambling, and, and....................and is still tall.

But I have yet to see that leadership attitude that make me believe he can lead us deep into the playoffs.

Hey, maybe with some more experience with Coach Zorn he will develop that. :whoknows:

Actually..... I was behind him 100% two seasons ago...but after the 2008 season I am no longer convinced he is franchise QB the Skins are looking for.

I'm with you. I thought going into the season and up through the first 8 games he was going to blossom, then the last 8 games happened.

I don't think that you can ignore other factors, such as the O-Line is crap, he has one receiver to throw to (Moss) who is only good for 10 games a year, has played in 4 different systems, and has been the victim of a terrible FO and not very talented offensive personnel around him. Which is why my vote is to give him another year to prove himself.

However, I also am not sure that he's going to pull out of it. He might just not have "it." And while I think he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure that he's going to be successful.

Of course, if they bring back the same offensive personnel that they had in 2005 (go check it out, they are projecting 9 returning starters from 2005, only JC and whoever plays the 2nd WR spot are different), then they will average 17 points a game. Again. Regardless if Joe Montana was the QB. They couldn't move the ball then, and now they are 4 years older.

It's sad b/c I have often defended Campbell in years past, but I don't know if I can name many strengths that he possesses.

Does he see the field well? I guess b/c of his height he can see the lanes but he doesn't appear to see the field that well IMO based on his poor decision making at times. He recognizes man to man and often takes off running if he's unaccounted for, but when defenses throw fire zones and complicated combo coverages at him, he immediately goes short to a check down. How many times have you seen him throw a check down short of the first down marker?

Does he look like a leader and do his teammates appear to follow his lead? Do I really need to answer that?

He's got a big arm. Great! Ask yourself when you've seen him connect on a deep pattern utilizing that strength. Once last year, he connected late in the game for a deep throw against the Saints. Name another time. His big arm is actually his greatest weakness. He waits entirely too long to release the ball and let it fly prior to his receivers breaking out of their routes. Because of his arm strength, he waits b/c he doesn't trust. That didn't seem to change much last year. What gives anyone the belief that it will be any different this year? Strengths? I don't see many at this point unless you count the timid/scared approach which allowed him to throw only six "picks."

I've been thinking about how well Jason played at the beginning of last year and I've come to a realization.

Jason wasn't playing all that "great". Not really.

The team around him was playing very well and he was doing a very good job of "managing" the game. That's it.

It's not like the Skins were dropping 30 points a game on people.

I think we want Jason to be an elite QB so much, that we sometimes exaggerate his performance from last year.

In fact, I think we (at least some of us) are expecting Jason to be something he's never been.

And that something is a game changing QB.

While he did have some very good performances at Auburn, he was never the type of QB who could put a team on his back.

And I don't know why we expect Jason to suddenly manifest this ability now.

Damn forgot the slow wind up - that's coachable too though.

Then why did Randall Cunningham continue to wind up for 15 years in the NFL and never learned how to release the ball quickly? Simply put, you are wrong, its not coachable. You either do it or you don't.

Campbell is slow mentally and slow with his windup. Neither are coachable.

He is todays Randal Cunningham. He can throw the ball hard, he will complete some 20 yard throws, he cannot throw the deep bal.,

He is todays Randal Cunningham. He can throw the ball hard, he will complete some 20 yard throws, he cannot throw the deep bal.,

Except Randall was a beautiful passer and fluid athlete. He excelled at the deep ball, he could throw passes with touch and by the time he went to Minnesota, he was actually becoming a good overall QB from the mental standpoint.

He also never had a really good running attack to back him up until he left Philly.

Nope

When players talk about his leadership getting better....it means it wasn't enough to begin with

I am not sure he is there yet

Disagree?

Watch the games Collins played

no, when leadership improves it means that he knows more of what he's doing.

He's got a big arm. Great! Ask yourself when you've seen him connect on a deep pattern utilizing that strength. Once last year, he connected late in the game for a deep throw against the Saints. Name another time. His big arm is actually his greatest weakness. He waits entirely too long to release the ball and let it fly prior to his receivers breaking out of their routes. Because of his arm strength, he waits b/c he doesn't trust. That didn't seem to change much last year. What gives anyone the belief that it will be any different this year? Strengths? I don't see many at this point unless you count the timid/scared approach which allowed him to throw only six "picks."

I consider it intelligence, not timidness

Let me preface this by saying I like campbell a lot. I think he is a leader, great intangibles and can be a starter in the NFL.

But I don't think he's a superstar and never will be. I don't think he is a good fit for this offense. There is a reason Gibbs drafted this guy. He is big, big arm, good intangibles, and would be a great play action QB if he had a line that could block well enough to give him time. He is not extremely accurate for a west coast, he doesnt get rid of the ball quick, and he takes too many sacks. He is not mobile (yea I know, he can run, but he cant move like roethlesiberger, Romo sits to pee, brees, etc can in the pocket to avoid sacks. You ever notice how on a lot of plays when we have a good pass rush the qb manages to just get away. Yea, Campbell never does that. He is not a fit for this offense, but I think he could be a ok starter for us. If he goes to another offense he will be an above average starter.

how do you think Leftwhich would do as our QB. Awful, b/c of our system and his slow delivery. He looked pretty good in the steelers game though right? Same deal. Campbell could do well in a system like that.

I consider it intelligence, not timidness

What?? Intelligence is the reason why he only threw 6 picks? Is intelligence why he also threw a pitiful 13 TD passes? If he was intelligent, he would be able to read a defense quickly and have the ability to anticipate a receiver getting open, instead of waiting till after the break and only throwing to receivers who are wide open. It's not often receivers in this league are wide open. You have to anticipate, you have to throw in relatively tight coverage, putting the ball in a position where the defender cant quite reach it, while giving your playmaker a chance to make a play. I saw todd collins do this when he came in in 07. He was throwing passes before moss made his break, before he really got open, anticipating the coverage, which led to TD's and a few 30+ point offensive performances. This is what good QB's do, and this is what JC hasn't been able to do.

I sick of hearing about his low INTs. I mean, who really gives a ****. I'd rather him throw 4-5 more INT's in a season, if it meant he could throw 9 or 10 more TD passes.

Joey T threw 13 TDs (and 9 picks, the horror! He's worse than JC!) in the 1982 strike-shortened season of 9 games.

NINE GAMES. We only lost one of those games too. ANd we had Riggins, Moseley was MVP, and we had Harmon and Washington at RB too.

But he threw the same number of TDs in the 80s, before the advent of the super-pass happy 90s and beyond, as Campbell did last year with a FULL SEASON OF STARTS and a top ranked DEFENSE!

What?? Intelligence is the reason why he only threw 6 picks? Is intelligence why he also threw a pitiful 13 TD passes? If he was intelligent, he would be able to read a defense quickly and have the ability to anticipate a receiver getting open, instead of waiting till after the break and only throwing to receivers who are wide open. It's not often receivers in this league are wide open. You have to anticipate, you have to throw in relatively tight coverage, putting the ball in a position where the defender cant quite reach it, while giving your playmaker a chance to make a play. I saw todd collins do this when he came in in 07. He was throwing passes before moss made his break, before he really got open, anticipating the coverage, which led to TD's and a few 30+ point offensive performances. This is what good QB's do, and this is what JC hasn't been able to do.

I sick of hearing about his low INTs. I mean, who really gives a ****. I'd rather him throw 4-5 more INT's in a season, if it meant he could throw 9 or 10 more TD passes.

Although I am all for Campbell remaining as our starting QB for the 09 season, I have to agree with most of what ExoDus84 says in his quote about what Campbell seems to be lacking and needs to improve upon.

By now, and at this level Campbell should be able to anticipate when his WR is going to make a break, become open and hit him for a gain. Instead he is waiting for WR's to get wide open before throwing the ball. It's painful to watch sometimes. It's also frustrating to watch Campbell still take a 7 step drop back after having come up to the LOS and seeing that the defense was overloaded to one side and that we didn't have enough players on that side to block them.

I guess that I want to give Campbell one more chance/season simply because I believe that the things that he does wrong are coachable/correctable.

I don't really believe that his intelligence has to come into play, rather than simple, old fashion common sense.

Archived