Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - Strengths and Weaknesses

Jino

Too many leaking gaffes in this argument because time and time again Campbell has been a victim of his own circumstance.

He holds onto the ball as many have stated and does not trust his instincts. Campbell needs to start trusting his instinct and abilities more rather receiving input like some computer.

Really, I don't recall a whole bunch of excuses for Campbell's play through the first 8 games last year.

Really, I don't recall a whole bunch of excuses for Campbell's play through the first 8 games last year.

That's because there was no one else to blame through the first 8 of the year for most people. Though, I think the play of the offensive line was overrated in the first half of the season due to their excellent run blocking. I know I personally had concerns from Games 1-8 about Jason Campbell's decision making.

Strengths: character, rocket arm, ability to scramble and take a hit, big size and big hands, good view of primary receivers, excellent touch on deep ball, coachable, good work ethic

Weaknesses: windup that slows release, awkward stance under center, lacks touch on short passes, especially when moving/scrambling or when throwing to the right side, inexperience with first team

Most of what I saw on the negative side can either be coached out or improved with repetition from just playing. I think his attitude and character traits just make me want him to succeed. It's time for a guy molded with the character traits of Art Monk and Darrell Green to be on the Skins. This league hs plenty of TO's. Time for quality people to do well.

I agree with Pedro's assessment and have high hopes that this may be the best QB with the Skins since our last SuperBowl.

Very well said. Anything that can be considered a negative on Campbell can be fixed with coaching. He is a high character guy with a laser for a right arm.

Really? You must have missed out on the, "STFU, a win's a win crowd."

Who were only answering the "we're the worse team in the NFL at all times" crowd. ;)

It takes very little in the way of observational skills to notice that around here, people complain way too much. No offense, you're one of those people.

Campbell was at the point of garnering MVP talk by the likes of Jaws and a few other commentators/analysts. He was playing very good, if not great, football and those who were complaining were really nitpicking, period. He would make a bunch of plays for us; moving within the pocket to escape the pass rush, scrambling to pick up first downs, and converting key third downs, but some of us here would find the one play where he missed a receiver (who they may have no idea about what kind of route he was running and whether it was correct) because he was hesitant or inaccurate and harp on that. :)

Very well said. Anything that can be considered a negative on Campbell can be fixed with coaching. He is a high character guy with a laser for a right arm.

Without countering that, considering this is a guy entering his 5th year as a pro, just HOW many year's of coaching does it take to rectify basic, QB fundamentals?

Hail.

Without countering that, considering this is a guy entering his 5th year as a pro, just HOW many year's of coaching does it take to rectify basic, QB fundamentals?

Hail.

Your question is a loaded gun, based on an exaggeration and assumption. It could be argued that these 'QB fundamentals' he needs work on are issues based on a lack of consistency in a system and/or poor WR play, thus causing the hesitance some view as "double pumping a lot" and others see as "too long a wind up". Not to mention poor Oline play which surely had an impact, though admittedly, shouldn't of had as much of an impact as it ended up having. Jason could certainly have played better.

I honestly saw a huge change in his throwing motion this season. It's far from bad, but since he did previously have too long of a wind up it's been accepted as eternal, unchangeable, truth.

Look, I know you and Hunter have made quite the splash in arguing this to death, so I'm sure you have every counter-argument against my response already on hand, ready to go. I'm actually foolish to have even wrote a response knowing how far you're willing to take something you simply can't be sure of, yet continue to argue your view with such utter confidence. I'm hitting 'submit reply' only because I spent too much time writing this up to not justify posting it. :silly:

Jason Campbell can take the next step. As much as so many here want to claim otherwise as if they have knowledge of the unseen, I'd rather make sure instead of be filled with regret.

Who were only answering the "we're the worse team in the NFL at all times" crowd. ;)

It takes very little in the way of observational skills to notice that around here, people complain way too much. No offense, you're one of those people.

Campbell was at the point of garnering MVP talk by the likes of Jaws and a few other commentators/analysts. He was playing very good, if not great, football and those who were complaining were really nitpicking, period. He would make a bunch of plays for us; moving within the pocket to escape the pass rush, scrambling to pick up first downs, and converting key third downs, but some of us here would find the one play where he missed a receiver (who they may have no idea about what kind of route he was running and whether it was correct) because he was hesitant or inaccurate and harp on that. :)

I agree with this. I think too many people started JC on their fantasy squads. While JC played well, he did not play well according to fantasy football points... depending on your rules.

Archived