Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - Strengths and Weaknesses

Jino

Even though he wasn't able to practice last offseason with the first-teamers, I think he fared pretty well during his outings. With the limited number of games we saw of him, what do you guys think his strengths and weakness are right now?

Aside from the obvious arm strength and height, what are some other strengths that some of us less knowledgable fans are not aware of about Campbell. (ie. Can he throw on the run well?)

Are there any physical weaknesses in his game? (I kind of question his short and mid-range accuracy.)

He throws low on short passes when moving is his weakness plus he stands wrong for the snap (already being coached out of him this off season). Last season was still too slow on his checkdowns but then again going from college to the NFL is like swapping drafts (checkers ((sp?)) to you guys) for chess mentally.

His standout abilities are poise (uncoachable) and his awesome playaction. Has the arm strength to throw long when planted and is happy to stay in the pocket. Can scramble but knows it's a team game so uses it as last resort.

What's not to like? He's the best QB Gibbs has had (time will be needed but will also prove this point).

The guy is about 25 and has had 50 different offensive schemes to learn (obviously not but...) and he looked good. Let him settle and franchise QB solved. Proof is Betts had people talking about trading Portis! And while Betts is good he ain't no CP.

As a disclaimer I'm as guilty as anyone in wanting the young guy to come in and prove to be the second coming - he has the right initials as a start :D

Actually, Campbell is great in Madden for me when I set up a playaction and beam one to Moss. He has a rocket of an arm and Moss is ideal for catching them. I am so used to a lefty bc of Brunell now which kind of hurts.

physical weaknesses:none, he's the prototypical QB,tall,great arm,and mobile.

weaknesses:inconsistent mentally and on throws,gets to cute with throws which makes them hit receivers feet,has a hitch in delivery,not bad but can cause some unnecessary pressures and sacks.poor chemistry with WR's

all of this is fixable and some of it is being fixed right now.

Really, objectively, he has all of the components to become one of the best quarterbacks in the game. He is big, he has a cannon arm, he is very mobile, he can scramble but has a great pocket presence, and he is consistently calm under pressure and has shown that he can be clutch. Furthermore, he has shown a love of the game and an eagerness to learn and study in the classroom, the achilles heal for may talented quarterbacks of old (Aaron Brooks, cough cough).

However, he is not always accurate on passes he should complete. He has made some mind-boggling completions so far, but on short to intermediate routes, he needs to improve. His knowledge of the playbook was not complete, and Al Saunders really limited the plays that he called. And his chemistry was not great with his receivers, especially as they were used to Brunell's type of throws. However, all of this should and will inevitably improve with time. In terms of a physical stand point, you cannot ask for any more. He has the character makeup of a quality quarterback, calm under pressure with good body language, essentially the antithesis of Eli Manning in New York. If he can become more accurate, develop an intricate understanding of the playbook and his receivers, and tweak his mechanics a bit, I have all of the confidence in that Jason Campbell can become the spectacular franchise quarterback that many of us have waited for for a long time coming.

at a point like his in his career, even though there are strengths and weaknesses to take into account, the biggest and brightest thing about all of it is his overwhelming upside and ability to grow and become a better qb. he never really had an awful throwing day, and he seemed to simply progress and do very well in the pocket.

not only that, but look at how classy the dude is. there isn't anything to hate about where we are with our starting qb.

Strengths: character, rocket arm, ability to scramble and take a hit, big size and big hands, good view of primary receivers, excellent touch on deep ball, coachable, good work ethic

Weaknesses: windup that slows release, awkward stance under center, lacks touch on short passes, especially when moving/scrambling or when throwing to the right side, inexperience with first team

Most of what I saw on the negative side can either be coached out or improved with repetition from just playing. I think his attitude and character traits just make me want him to succeed. It's time for a guy molded with the character traits of Art Monk and Darrell Green to be on the Skins. This league hs plenty of TO's. Time for quality people to do well.

I agree with Pedro's assessment and have high hopes that this may be the best QB with the Skins since our last SuperBowl.

2 words: Pocket presence

He is amazing in the pocket, the way he moves his feet, slides around and avoids the rush. Everything Ramsey wasn't in the pocket

He is incredibly cool and calm. Never gets high, never gets low

Weakness: His delivery and windup. It takes too long

Absolutely. It seriously looks like doesn't have urgency in his shorter passes, when he should zip the ball in their.

I think this guy is the best QB we have had in a long time...:2cents:

Strengths: character, rocket arm, ability to scramble and take a hit, big size and big hands, good view of primary receivers, excellent touch on deep ball, coachable, good work ethic

Weaknesses: windup that slows release, awkward stance under center, lacks touch on short passes, especially when moving/scrambling or when throwing to the right side, inexperience with first team

Most of what I saw on the negative side can either be coached out or improved with repetition from just playing. I think his attitude and character traits just make me want him to succeed. It's time for a guy molded with the character traits of Art Monk and Darrell Green to be on the Skins. This league hs plenty of TO's. Time for quality people to do well.

I agree with Pedro's assessment and have high hopes that this may be the best QB with the Skins since our last SuperBowl.

I like your 'good view of primary recievers' part. I saw it as slow checkdown. Now I see it as having faith in your main guys.

Not quite that simple but a definate plus when you have a Santana on your team.

We can win SBs with JC at the helm - IMO he has already shown that he can do the QB part of a SB that Coach needs. He may turn out better than serviceable though and drag the team through to one....

At worst he's good enough. His downsides are all coachable and his upsides are to a degree instinctive.

Towrads the end of the season we moved the ball at will except in the red zone. Leave the offense alone and I'm excited. Add to the D so the O doesn't feel like it has to score every time they get the ball.

If you pack the box we'll throw long and score - if you protect long we'll run it in.

Joe Jackson Gibbs football - and y'all know what that means ;)

Archived