Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - Strengths and Weaknesses

Jino

can't zip the ball in tight spaces when throwing into traffic

Yeah he can he just COULDN'T throw based on timing. Dude has the arm, the timing he will get this off season (couldn't throw an Int or he would be out, you know Joe and the not turning the ball over).

JC is one of two things, either good enough (in the 'skins mold of servicable SB winning QBs) or the best QB we've had since Sonny.

At minimum he can play the QB role to win a SB. At best he may deliver a SB.

Despite his obvious areas that need work rewatch the last 7 games of the season and tell me again why you're not hyped like I am about JC.

Sure I see the areas he needs to work on, but even with those look at the production on the field.

I'm a Redskins fan, we don't do nor need superstar QBs, yet we may well have one :D

2 words: Pocket presence

He is amazing in the pocket, the way he moves his feet, slides around and avoids the rush. Everything Ramsey wasn't in the pocket

He is incredibly cool and calm. Never gets high, never gets low

Weakness: His delivery and windup. It takes too long

Sorry, but wouldn't never gets high be a weakness :cheers:

Strengths:

He's a big, tall guy with a cannon for an arm. He's the most mobile quarterback we've had in Washington in a long time, and he seems to feel the rush well, knowing when to slide and step up in the pocket, and if he does get hit, he's strong enough to break arm tackles consistently. He doesn't watch the defenders coming at him and seems to keep his eyes downfield, which is what did Ramsey in at times. He can create time by scrambling before throwing the ball. He has a short memory, allowing him to look past mistakes. He's not afraid to take chances and knows which throws he can and can't make. He also has one of the most convincing play-action fakes in the league. Seems to have developed a solid rapport with Chris Cooley (411 yards and 3 TDs with in 7 games with Campbell, as opposed to 323 yards and 3 TDs in 9 games with Brunell) and Santana Moss (65.2 yards per game and 3 TDs in December). He's poised, confident, humble, and highly motivated, and watches more tape than a lot of coaches. He wants to work hard so he can get better.

Weaknesses:

Will sometimes be slow to recognize coverages, leading to late throws that give defenders time to catch up to receivers. This problem is compounded by a long delivery. On the move, he tends to throw low at the receiver's feet. On the deep ball he loses accuracy and sometimes overthrows his target. Not to mention he's still got to go through the growing pains of a young QB.

Strengths: Rocket arm. Collected on the field during play and in the huddle. His team loves him and he exudes leadership. Willing to work on anything in his game. Has every physical tool you'd want in a QB. He can fly and turn invisible. He can use his laser eye beam to blind defenders. Can become stretchy, ala Mr. Fantastic, and extend his body for the TD when scrambling.

Weaknesses: Sometimes uses his flying ability at inopportune times causing impacts with zeppelins. Has blinded a ref with his laser beam several times drawing multiple penalties as well as league fines. Will occasionally stare down a receiver turning him into stone.

He throws low on short passes when moving is his weakness

I'm not sure I agree with this. Jason excelled at those very type of passes inside the 10-yard line, throwing at least four of his 10 TD's while moving. I remember distinctly one apiece to Yoder and Cooley, and I seem to remember one more to Moss. What's impressive about that is that he has no room for error down there; your criticism of those low passes (and maybe you're referring to others) is actually backwards because by throwing low he reduces the ability of the defense to intercept in the end zone. He looks really good to me on the move.

I'm less and less worried about the long throwing motion. If he's making quick reads and his throws are accurate, it'll work for him. Randall Cunningham seemed to do just fine with an almost identical motion.

His biggest assets are his ability to know what is going on inside the pocket, and his reaction time to that sense, he reads the ongoing game well and covers the ground quickly when he runs, this will be invaluable next season, he is the best QB I have seen in B&G since hmmm could be the best QB i have ever seen, I am looking forward to the damage he is going to reighn upon the opposition next season

I remember distinctly one apiece to Yoder and Cooley,

I remember that JC to Todd Yoder catch aswell.

My first reaction was "holy crap! how did he catch that?"

Seriously, the ball was atleast 3 yards behind Yoder.

My second reaction was "who the hell is Todd Yoder!?"

I remember that JC to Todd Yoder catch aswell.

My first reaction was "holy crap! how did he catch that?"

Seriously, the ball was atleast 3 yards behind Yoder.

My second reaction was "who the hell is Todd Yoder!?"

The Yoder pass was brilliant. Jason bought time, drifted to his right, and fired the ball into the back of the end zone where only Yoder (who was covered) could catch it, in other words, behind him which was the side of his body away from the defender. The view from the far end zone demonstrated all of that. Either Yoder was going to catch it, or it was going to go incomplete out of the back of the end zone, which is exactly what you want.

I was also impressed, BTW, with the fact that Yoder was at least the 4th option on that play, meaning that Jason did a great job reading the field.

big wind up, awkward stance, he needs to work on his footwork, he was taking like 10-12 step drops in games (maybe he was told to do that so as to protect him), long range accuracy could be improved, and so could touch on the intermediate routes.

About that windup, he starts waaaaaaaay too low and it takes too long.

could improve when making his reads, but hey it was a new offense and it was his first time starting

strengths, poise, very calm and collected, i think that inspires other players to not worry and to believe, awesome arm, good pocket presence, smart when on the run, buys time, strong as hell (number of times he was surely sacked and he used his strength to get out of it), pretty quick guy, it's odd, vince young doesn't seem to move fast, i guess because he takes such long strides, but JC does the same thing, he has great playaction, he's not afraid to attack a defense, likable (very important), great study habits, wants to get better, the list goes on and on

Weakness-He sucks in madden

Definately wrong.

Most inexperienced types of Madden 2007 don't use his strengths or have him step into his throws to Moss Cooley portis in the flat for those big plays.

Which I dont have a problem doing when beating down oppopnents expecially the influx of cowpoke and tampa bay fans online 33-5 W/L using Campbell

One of the strengths that actually caught me by surprise was his mobility in the pocket and moreso his decision making on when to tuck it and run. More often than not, when Campbell made the choice to scramble for yards, it wound up a good choice under the circumstances. Granted, I may just be so used to seeing immobile QBs in the Burgundy and Gold (Ramsey and Brunell recently) that I have forgotten what it is like to see an atheletic QB make plays with his feet.

An area of weekness that I think needs to be adressed is his throwing motion. His wind-up is waaaaay to long ala Byron Leftwich. I am always afraid Campbell is going to get stripped from behind when he is throwing in a crowd. He does seem to need work on his short passing game as well, especially since Al Saunders' offense employs a lot of those types of plays. The good news is that these weaknesses can be corrected and improved upon with time, coaching and experience practicing with Campbell's true supposting cast.

:logo: :2cents: :logo:

Campbell reminds me of Mark Rippen and Doug Williams when standing in the pocket. His eyes are looking downfield, not worrying about the rushers closing in around him. His stance and release on long passes also reminded me of Rippen & Williams.

The only negative I can think of is that weird under center stance he takes. And that isn’t really a negative, it’s just weird.

Biggest strengths: Poise and football instincts. He has tons of both and both you can not teach or learn (see Patrick Ramsey).

I disagree about the Patrick Ramsey quote. Were you watching the Steve Spurrier years? Patrick showed a lot of promise, even in the face of pressure. Any QB (no matter who) gets hit as many times as Patrick Ramsey got hit, they will look average at best.

Archived