Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - Strengths and Weaknesses

Jino

Not only is his stance under center bad, it looks more difficult than a good stance.

He bends at the legs instead of at the waist... To me, he might do this to help his back and it seems to me like he's trying to get out from under center quicker this way... Almost like the reverse of a sprinter, but he's setting up his backpedal instead. I dunno! I could be mistaken. It looks goofy, but there may be some method to the madness.

Strength-Big and strong, can scramble, big arm, juicy lips, great attitude.

Weakness-He sucks in madden

He actually does really well for me in madden. I do alot of short post routes to cooley and he nails them everytime. And also i use most for long post routes and he does very well. But thats madden. In real life i like his ability to scramble and also the way he can hit the receivers just before they go out of bounds. Like in the Giants game those couple of passes to Randle El were awesome!

Really, objectively, he has all of the components to become one of the best quarterbacks in the game. He is big, he has a cannon arm, he is very mobile, he can scramble but has a great pocket presence, and he is consistently calm under pressure and has shown that he can be clutch. Furthermore, he has shown a love of the game and an eagerness to learn and study in the classroom, the achilles heal for may talented quarterbacks of old (Aaron Brooks, cough cough).

However, he is not always accurate on passes he should complete. He has made some mind-boggling completions so far, but on short to intermediate routes, he needs to improve. His knowledge of the playbook was not complete, and Al Saunders really limited the plays that he called. And his chemistry was not great with his receivers, especially as they were used to Brunell's type of throws. However, all of this should and will inevitably improve with time. In terms of a physical stand point, you cannot ask for any more. He has the character makeup of a quality quarterback, calm under pressure with good body language, essentially the antithesis of Eli Manning in New York. If he can become more accurate, develop an intricate understanding of the playbook and his receivers, and tweak his mechanics a bit, I have all of the confidence in that Jason Campbell can become the spectacular franchise quarterback that many of us have waited for for a long time coming.

That seems to be a pretty common problem for top rookie QBs, short/intermediate passes that must be accurate and get to the reciever quickly. Question is if he's able to get over that issue. Another issue, how much of what he does good is so instinctual that the good stuff is trained out of him by trying to train out the bad stuff? Looks like SOS might have trained out what Ramesy was good at by trying to train out the things SOS didn't like. Also, JC's not shell-shocked like Ramsey, not only does he get better protection, he's much more mobile and looks like he already has a better feel for the pocket.

I disagree about the Patrick Ramsey quote. Were you watching the Steve Spurrier years? Patrick showed a lot of promise, even in the face of pressure. Any QB (no matter who) gets hit as many times as Patrick Ramsey got hit, they will look average at best.

aikman and elway got hit a TON as well, and their poise and presence allowed them to persevere. ramsey CLEARLY had no poise or pocket presence. i can't believe that people to this day, still believe in him. Gibbs definitely made the right call with that one.

Campbell reminds me of a larger version of Randall Cunningham... The windup may be unorthodox, but I wouldn't tinker with it. I haven't noticed his windup causing any problems in the offense. I think Jason has a lot of upside, and he's been doing fine. Over-coaching can be a problem, and I'd like to see him learn the playbook, develop chemistry and be "Jason Campbell"... I think he'll have a lot of success as he is, with only additional experience.

His strengths: upside, leadership (also by example), attitude (from what I've heard), physical specs (arm strength, height, etc), poise, accuracy on deep routes, ability to make all the throws, athletic ability

too early to tell: accuracy in general (he really had a very good completion percentage last year for a guy in his first 7 starts). He is 5 pct higher than Eli Manning's first 7 starts. 3pct less than Peyton Manning's first year. A lot goes into accuracy, so I'm not willing to call this a strength or a weakness.

His weaknesses: lack of experience, consistent coaching, knowledge of playbook

IMO, the big weakness is that he has a slow release. He has a very dramatic and long wind up. If he doesn't fix that, it will result in fumbles... defensive ends swatting the ball out of his hands while he's in his throwing motion. It will also result in INTs as defensive backs will be able to read this motion and get a jump on the ball.

i like his wind up....ever think that may be the reason he can put so much power into a throw?

All he needs to do is sure up his accuracy with practice...practicing with a new wind up is like throwing with your opposite hand....shouldnt mess with it

He's no Mark Rypien.

Repeat

He's no Mark Rypien

Think about it

If by "He's no Mark Rypien" you mean that he can actually reliably hit receiving targets less than 20 yards downfield, then yes, I agree with you.

I loved Ryp and he remains an underappreciated talent known only for his astounding 1991 season, but we do have to be honest about his limitations.

Campbell is the best young QB I've seen in years. I can't really think of anyone that I'd rather have. The guy has thrown a TD pass in every game he's started. Who has done that?

He's certainly the best young QB the Redskins have had in years, dating back at least to Rypien if not before, but there's a good argument that he wasn't even the best first time starter last year (Cutler), and I think guys like Brees and Palmer deserve high praise in that regard. Let's just watch, wait and enjoy the ride.

One of his strengths is stiff arming Antonio Pierce to the ground... I love Campbell, he will stand in there and take a big hit to deliever the ball, hes tough, rocket arm, he can actually make plays with his legs (he made atleast one in every game), sometime needs to put some touch on his throws to the sidelines, but he is really learning he made some incredible throws to sidelines to Randle El in that giants game

Winds up too much on throws. Not insane like Leftwich, but still a whole lot that needs to be corrected.

true. I feel thats the #1 thing they need to fix. A lot of the time his decision was right, just couldnt get the ball out fast enough and the Defense knew where he was throwing. Need a quick release for those short passes we love so much here.

• 2 years later...

what do the experts say?....

817-grey.gif

To Analyze Campbell, 'Jaws' Goes Straight to Video

Former Quarterback Mostly Likes What He Sees After Film Session

The coaches have discussed tweaking Campbell's throwing motion. Mechanically, quarterbacks are taught to begin their throwing motion at mid-chest; a big windup that starts under the belt is a red flag. Jaworski notices Campbell throwing consistently at about his belt or hip, which could cost his release critical milliseconds.

"I think he drops it a hair low here, but nothing I'd be overly concerned with," he says. "I played with Randall Cunningham for a few years, and Randall had a real big arc. . . . If you want to look at an elongated delivery, look at [Jacksonville's] Byron Leftwich. . . . This is not a major problem."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/23/AR2006112301041.html

interesting quote/ side note about the offensive line from a nearly 3 year old artcle:

Center Casey Rabach slides the wrong way, allowing Phillips a clean shot, but Campbell spins away from the sack and hits Thrash for 15 yards and a first down......

For Jaworski, this is the play of the game. He loves Saunders's game plan, but says the pass protection, particularly tackles Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, is preventing touchdown opportunities. Jansen, Jaworski says, is "getting pushed backwards more than I've ever seen him,"....."You've seen two breakdowns in protection that have cost them," says Jaworski, the red laser zeroed on Rabach.

Archived