Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

Initial thoughts if true.

1. Good job of finally keeping one of our own. Nice to know Betts was honest in his interview of wanting to be here.

2. We lost way too much in this Duckett trade ... gave up a 3rd round draft pick for nothing now.

WP is reporting it, with CP's blessing, so very likely true.

1.) By far the best news out of Skins camp in a while.

2.) I've got no problem giving up draft picks for quality players. Look at how many draft picks are busts. Picks for Portis (or was it straight up? Skins did send a few, right?), Coles/Moss (they're really the same player, in a sense), etc are hardly wasted. Did Thomas cost picks?

Still, I'm not a complete Skins draft basher. Cooley, Taylor, so far Campbell, Golston, even Rodgers are all worthy of playing in the NFL, obviously.

Duckett may seem a waste now, but if Betts wasn't interested in resigning, guess what leverage the Skins would have had? Guess who would have played if Betts & Co. weren't playing at the barginning table? Let's say the Skins gave up a 3rd to get Betts to re-sign. No problem with me.

man i am so glad!

i would love to see betts and portis each get 20 carries a game and just demolish people. the o-line would love that too.

here's a stat about betts ya'll might not know. when he gets 15+ carries he averages over 100 yards per game. thats pretty sick.

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=bf-bigboard-football&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl

42Ladell Betts, Was, RBFor career: 100+ rush ypg when given 15+ carries

just pound him and portis all day!

the only downside of course is that duckett was only picked up to keep him away from the eagles who supposedly had interest in him, and we're going to lose him after this year anyway. draft picks out the window.

If the Redskins somehow trade Portis this year, it will be very hard for me to root for this team next year. Portis may not be the "Gibbs Back" but christ look at last years numbers and the year before that (when we had no passing game and a really ineffective Brunell). Betts has better hands and is bigger but thats it. You don't trade someone like Portis away. AT ALL. It's ridiculous that some people want to trade that type of player. It seems like everyones completely forgotten about him this year. I bet if he was 100% and putting up huge numbers there wouldnt be any of this bs talk.

For those of you who think we should trade this away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElEY3IxDqNg

Not to doom and gloom but this does not sit well with me. I really want Betts to stay. I like his running style. But for some reason, with Duckett going to be a free agent and not being able to get top dollar anywhere else, I wonder if we are going to use Portis as trade bait. Keep our 1-2 punch of Betts and Duckett and get some picks or a top tier CB and a kicker for Portis. That would really suck, but I can actually see our FO arranging something like this.

I used to automatically like all Skins fans.

The Internet changed that.

Good to hear.

My only point was why are we pitying an NFL player just because he might have a little more competition?

To me, anything that improves our team makes me happy. If that means ridding ourselves of all our big names and fan favorites and winning with no-names, that's perfectly fine by me. If it means keeping Portis and winning with him, I'm cool with that also.

I just don't see why so many people feel bad for players when they are doing just fine.

I am surprised. I thought he would atleast see how much he could get from other teams in the offseason while negotiating with the skins, but I think the FO realized when Betts had a chance to be the #1 this season that we should lock this guy up. Great Job FO :applause:

Still, I'm not a complete Skins draft basher. Cooley, Taylor, so far Campbell, Golston, even Rodgers are all worthy of playing in the NFL, obviously.

dude, come on. he's played 3 games, has a 1-2 record, is averaging a measly 177 yards a game, has a pathetic 50.5 completion percentage, and has a mediocre 5:3 TD-INT ratio. we have no idea if he is a worthy NFL QB yet.

WP is reporting it, with CP's blessing, so very likely true.

1.) By far the best news out of Skins camp in a while.

2.) I've got no problem giving up draft picks for quality players. Look at how many draft picks are busts. Picks for Portis (or was it straight up? Skins did send a few, right?), Coles/Moss (they're really the same player, in a sense), etc are hardly wasted. Did Thomas cost picks?

Duckett may seem a waste now, but if Betts wasn't interested in resigning, guess what leverage the Skins would have had? Guess who would have played if Betts & Co. weren't playing at the barginning table? Let's say the Skins gave up a 3rd to get Betts to re-sign. No problem with me.

You don't huh? You really don't feel the Skins over compensate draft wise or over spend in free agency? :doh: :rolleyes:

What if we got him under contract so we could deal him next season?

:paranoid:

Except for the fact that the $3.5m signing bonus would have to be accelerated into next year's cap. Kinda' stupid to sign someone, give him a bonus, then trade him right after signing him. You may as well Franchise him if that's the case.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2691260

Betts, 28, signed a five-year extension Friday worth $11 million, but the key was in the early payout of the deal. He got $3.5 million in signing bonus money this year and a $2 million roster bonus in 2007. With half of the money going to him early, Betts figured it was the best of all worlds.

From espn.com

Updated: Dec. 8, 2006, 2:54 PM ET

Redskins reward RB Betts with five-year extensionBy John Clayton

ESPN.com

Ladell Betts considered hitting the lucrative free-agent market in 2007, but he opted to go with the safe money of the Washington Redskins.

Betts, 28, signed a five-year extension Friday worth $11 million, but the key was in the early payout of the deal. He got $3.5 million in signing bonus money this year and a $2 million roster bonus in 2007. With half of the money going to him early, Betts figured it was the best of all worlds.

Most importantly, he wanted to stay with the Redskins and head coach Joe Gibbs. He's comfortable working with Clinton Portis and being part of a one-two running punch. The 5-10, 222-pound back is in his fifth season with the team. He was a second-round choice in 2002.

With Portis on the injured reserve list, Bettis is having a career year. He's rushed for 643 yards on 141 attempts, career highs. He's also caught 50 passes for 301 yards. Last week against Atlanta he rushed for 155 yards.

Edit: Someone beat me to it by one minute. Eh.

From espn.com

Edit: Someone beat me to it by one minute. Eh.

I think this is the 1st smart contract I've seen in awhile. 11 mil over 5 years for a RB who could see a lot of carries isn't a lot, plus with the money up front. It'll be cheap to have him around in a couple of years, and if he doesn't pan out, it'll be cheaper to cut him.

Win/Win for both sides I guess.

Maybe I watch different games and a different team than some of you east coasters. Cause I could have sworn I've been watching the Washington Redskins since I was 8 and saw Betts get a shot at being our #1 back about 4 years ago, and it didn't work out all that great.

And in the games that I watched for the last three years leaves absolutely no doubt in my mind that Portis is our very best option at HB, perhaps in the history of the Skins.

But who knows, maybe I'm watching a different game here in AZ. Of course, they must be showing a different ESPN and Fox Sports on my direct TV than yours too, cause they seem to agree with my thinking that Portis is one of the very best in the league right now.

Either all those things, or some people here don't watch games, or understand them if they do.

No, you are watching the same games and ESPN. People around here just have short memories of what Portis has done and can't see far enough ahead to see what he can do.

Its a shame, really it is.

I can't believe I am reading this. Betts goes down on first touch!!! Portis is one of the most physical backs in the league!!! Are these Redskins fans talking at all? Are y'all judging Betts on his past two games, or what you've seen the past four years? Betts more physical than Portis? :laugh: I've seen it all.

i really dont think youre giving betts enough credit. hes very good downhill.

I hate foreshadowing, but here it goes...

Portis 5'11" 212lbs

Betts 5'10" 223lbs

Duckett 6'0" 254lbs

I do not know how contracting works out, but I have been hearing all year on this baord and through reports about how Saunders wants have Betts love child. Now seeing Portis's trade value (thats not debatable) do you really think it is that far fetched for The FO to use Portis for trade bait? The guy is stellar and we may be able to get some draft picks, a shutdown CB with a kicker, another aggressive right DE (Freeney comes to mind).

I like our defense right now, but if Springs goes we are going to need another body back there to take his place. Carlos Rogers has really stepped up his game and will only get better with time. He completley shut down Smith with no help. Thats impressive.

I would not want to see Portis go, but he really is not a Gibbs prototypical back. Thats a fact. Betts has obviously been impressing Saunders and Duckett is a Gibbs prototypical back. With those two splitting carries, you dont really need a superstar RB to do all the work. Split carries, change schemes, keep the defenses on their toes. I hate to say it, but I was wrong a few months back when I stated in another thread that Parcells scheme would not work with splitting carries. Right now they are tearing everyone up.

Archived