Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

Good to hear.

My only point was why are we pitying an NFL player just because he might have a little more competition?

To me, anything that improves our team makes me happy. If that means ridding ourselves of all our big names and fan favorites and winning with no-names, that's perfectly fine by me. If it means keeping Portis and winning with him, I'm cool with that also.

I just don't see why so many people feel bad for players when they are doing just fine.

I gotcha, man, and definitely couldn't agree more with the 2nd paragraph. I don't REALLY feel sorry for CP.

Keeping Betts to spell Portis is a great idea. If Betts is half as good as so many people think, why would we need a "change of pace" back when he can hammer too? Just put the fresh legs out there and he should give us the same performance next year. I'm glad Betts is re-signed and happy he stayed with us. This is a good sign that the coaches haven't lost the players and can get us back on track next year. Now if they can fix the playcalling....

I do not think that we would trade CP in favor of Betts. If we did trade CP, I think it would be to gain draft picks and also got some type of player in return. Basically, to help rebuild this team. Are we rebuillding? If so, then CP gets traded. If not, then I see us using two backs like the majority of the league is already doing.

So, basically, Duckett was a wasted roster spot? Or do we keep Betts and Duckett and trade CP?

I hate foreshadowing, but here it goes...

Portis 5'11" 212lbs

Betts 5'10" 223lbs

Duckett 6'0" 254lbs

I do not know how contracting works out, but I have been hearing all year on this baord and through reports about how Saunders wants have Betts love child. Now seeing Portis's trade value (thats not debatable) do you really think it is that far fetched for The FO to use Portis for trade bait? The guy is stellar and we may be able to get some draft picks, a shutdown CB with a kicker, another aggressive right DE (Freeney comes to mind).

I like our defense right now, but if Springs goes we are going to need another body back there to take his place. Carlos Rogers has really stepped up his game and will only get better with time. He completley shut down Smith with no help. Thats impressive.

I would not want to see Portis go, but he really is not a Gibbs prototypical back. Thats a fact. Betts has obviously been impressing Saunders and Duckett is a Gibbs prototypical back. With those two splitting carries, you dont really need a superstar RB to do all the work. Split carries, change schemes, keep the defenses on their toes. I hate to say it, but I was wrong a few months back when I stated in another thread that Parcells scheme would not work with splitting carries. Right now they are tearing everyone up.

Duckett is in no way going to sign here without testing the market.....and he'll only come back if we throw him a bunch of $$$. His case is much different than Betts, who is a home grown player who wanted to stay here. TJ has no such ties....

I'm ecstatic Betts re-signed but lets not get carried away with his last two starts. Betts is solid but Portis can be spectacular. Betts can never make the move that Portis made v. the Eagles on his 2nd td run down there in the finale. Betts has also played his last two games at home, one against a ver ypoor run defense.

I expect to see a 23-10 split in carries between portis and Betts next year with Betts also playing as the primary 3rd down back. Parcells is right, you need two back in the NFL today with the hitting going on out there.

I hate foreshadowing, but here it goes...

Portis 5'11" 212lbs

Betts 5'10" 223lbs

Duckett 6'0" 254lbs

I do not know how contracting works out, but I have been hearing all year on this baord and through reports about how Saunders wants have Betts love child. Now seeing Portis's trade value (thats not debatable) do you really think it is that far fetched for The FO to use Portis for trade bait? The guy is stellar and we may be able to get some draft picks, a shutdown CB with a kicker, another aggressive right DE (Freeney comes to mind).

I like our defense right now, but if Springs goes we are going to need another body back there to take his place. Carlos Rogers has really stepped up his game and will only get better with time. He completley shut down Smith with no help. Thats impressive.

I would not want to see Portis go, but he really is not a Gibbs prototypical back. Thats a fact. Betts has obviously been impressing Saunders and Duckett is a Gibbs prototypical back. With those two splitting carries, you dont really need a superstar RB to do all the work. Split carries, change schemes, keep the defenses on their toes. I hate to say it, but I was wrong a few months back when I stated in another thread that Parcells scheme would not work with splitting carries. Right now they are tearing everyone up.

Nice post. :applause:

RBs ARE replaceable. Is CP, as a player and leader for this team replaceable? Not really, although this team would still survive without him. I would hate to see him go but, I want to see the Skins winning again. Whatever it takes for us to do that, no matter who has to go because of it (as long as it is for the best interest of this team and not because someone was a "snitch" ala Springs)..

If you take a look around the league and you see guys like Laurence Maroney who made an impact in their first year. DeAngelo Williams from the Panthers is in the same boat. Mike Bell from Denver. It is known for rookies to make an impact in carrying the ball. It is possible for this team to get better without Portis. It may not be the favorite move but, a move that can help out this team in a HUGE way.

This offseason will be interesting as to how it will play out.

Duckett is in no way going to sign here without testing the market.....and he'll only come back if we throw him a bunch of $$$. His case is much different than Betts, who is a home grown player who wanted to stay here. TJ has no such ties....

The only ties that TJ has with this team is Joe Gibbs--The former, partial, owner of the Falcons.

I agree with thoses who think the Skins have too much $$$ invested in the RB slot. Not a good move IMO ... skins should have let Betts test the market ... then offer him a lower contract. The $$$ should go to resigning Cooley and Dockery. The FO still does not know what it is doing.

I agree with thoses who think the Skins have too much $$$ invested in the RB slot. Not a good move IMO ... skins should have let Betts test the market ... then offer him a lower contract. The $$$ should go to resigning Cooley and Dockery. The FO still does not know what it is doing.
People complain that we dont resign players we draft and we let everyone walk. Then we go ahead and resign a player thats been here for a few years and people still complain. Having a good back up running back is a must in this league today. If Tomlinson or Johnson went down where would there teams be right now. Portis went down and we havent really missed a beat of yet with Betts in the backfield. I am glad we resigned him even if we do have a lot of money invested. I am more comfortalbe that we have a guy thats been here 4 years I believe and knows everyone on this team and has chemistry with the rest of his teammates. Anyone see what Sellers said? He wasnt going to let Betts leave. Great move by the FO and please let this continue.

Once a guy goes on the open market, you don't know what will happen once other teams get involved. Basically, once you let a player get the free agency, you better be prepared to lose the player.

One thought about TJ Duckett. I wonder if there are some thoughts in the organization as to making him a fullback. As good as Sellars has been, he's on the wrong side of 30, and Duckett is 6 years younger.

Jason

Once a guy goes on the open market, you don't know what will happen once other teams get involved. Basically, once you let a player get the free agency, you better be prepared to lose the player.

One thought about TJ Duckett. I wonder if there are some thoughts in the organization as to making him a fullback. As good as Sellars has been, he's on the wrong side of 30, and Duckett is 6 years younger.

Jason

I dont think TJ has the same punch you in the month mentality as Sellers. Sellers like to hit people, I just dont see that in Duckett when he has ran. Sellers lowers his head and doesnt shy away from contact which is something I have not seen yet from Duckett. I dont honestly think TJ can be a fullback.

5 year extension for 11M. A 3.5M signing bonus and a 2M roster bonus in 07. After his recent performance I think he could have done a little better on the open market.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2691260

Decent extension for the Skins. Seems like Betts was willing to give up a .5 million/season to stay a Redskin, considering I think he could have gotten about 2.5-3 million more as a free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2691260

Ladell Betts considered hitting the lucrative free-agent market in 2007, but he opted to go with the safe money of the Washington Redskins.

Betts, 28, signed a five-year extension Friday worth $11 million, but the key was in the early payout of the deal. He got $3.5 million in signing bonus money this year and a $2 million roster bonus in 2007. With half of the money going to him early, Betts figured it was the best of all worlds.

Archived