Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

Betts may be bigger than Portis, but there is no way he is more physical than Portis. The only thing Betts has going for him over Portis is that he is more decisive going downhill, but that is only because he does not have the ability to make cut backs as Portis does.

My foreshadowing for Portis...He runs for 1500 yds again after getting a little bit healthy. But this time Betts is used to take some of the load off.

not the $7 million reported in the media? :rolleyes:

Andyman used the word bonus and I believe media reports used the term guaranteed money so both reports could be true. He could have a guaranteed option bonus next year like most of the 06 signing class has in their contracts.

i disagree, betts is bigger and more of a downhill power guy. portis is more of an outside guy, much faster than betts. portis does go downhill more often than hes built for, if you wanna see a physical back, go watch a chiefs game. larry johnson is just what joe gibbs is looking for in a back.

Right there you are wrong. Portis is not an "outside guy" and never was. This is a misconception that many have. He is much more at home running between the tackels just like in Denver. They ran a zone blocking that he made one cut between the tackle and guard or the center and guard and was gone. Never has he made his living outside of the tackles. Even he says that he would rather run in the middle and is tired of everyone trying to get him to be something he is not.

What he is not as good at as LB is patience behind blockers. LB follows a blocker into the hole or sets them up for a block where CP tends to outrun his blocking. He has gotten better, but still needs work. This was the biggest adjustment to our system for him. Denver never had a FB and rarely pulled the OL for runs.

He seems to have become right at home behind Sellers as of late though.:2cents:

Maybe I watch different games and a different team than some of you east coasters. Cause I could have sworn I've been watching the Washington Redskins since I was 8 and saw Betts get a shot at being our #1 back about 4 years ago, and it didn't work out all that great.

And in the games that I watched for the last three years leaves absolutely no doubt in my mind that Portis is our very best option at HB, perhaps in the history of the Skins.

But who knows, maybe I'm watching a different game here in AZ. Of course, they must be showing a different ESPN and Fox Sports on my direct TV than yours too, cause they seem to agree with my thinking that Portis is one of the very best in the league right now.

Either all those things, or some people here don't watch games, or understand them if they do.

Mixed reaction on this.

Glad we started to talk deal before the season ended. And happy we resigned our own guy.

But not really thrilled that out of everyone we've lost to FA, from starter to depth....that it was Betts that we started this process with..

Mixed reaction on this.

Glad we started to talk deal before the season ended. And happy we resigned our own guy.

But not really thrilled that out of everyone we've lost to FA, from starter to depth....that it was Betts that we started this process with..

You have to start somewhere.

We did the right thing, let's just be happy about it!

Betts goes down way too easily...Portis jukes and creates...and oh yeah. played half the season with a torn labrum.

A torn labrum. Ouch.

And yet he never shyed away from contact.

Betts is physically larger than Portis....but that's all he's got on him.

This is great news! Keeping a core Redskin. :applause:

As for the Duckett thing, I agree with everybody else that the cost was too high, but remember that when he was traded for, Betts was also banged up, and he does have a history of missing games due too injury, even as a back-up. So it was an expensive insurance policy....

What world?

The world where poor CP had to make millions of dollars to play a game?

The world where he'll be expected to outplay other talented players in order to keep his job...where nothing is guaranteed EXCEPT the millions?

Wow, crazy world.

I used to automatically like all Skins fans.

The Internet changed that.

yall trippin. Portis isn't going anywhere. I'm glad Betts signed on to be a Redskin again. We know what both of them can do. Maybe they can both share the spotlight. To get rid of Portis would be real dumb, and people need to stop makin threads about it...seriously. If the man wasn't hurt this season, would u still be saying that? I don't think so. Holla!

I feel sorry for CP.

If he stays in Denver he goes to the paloffs every year, competes for rushing titles, scores double figure TDs and chases Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

Instead, he comes here, gains weight to be the power back he isn't, wreks his shoulders trying to erase this O-line's many mistakes, and now has to compete for his job with Ladell Betts. Ladell Betts?

Wow, the world we live in !

He wrecked his shoulder most seriously when Brunell threw the LAZIEST THROW-AWAY PASS IN ALL HISTORY. That helped ruin our season right there.

ill agree, hes a better pass blocker. but im telling you, betts is better in terms of plowing through people at the line of scrimmage.

I can't believe I am reading this. Betts goes down on first touch!!! Portis is one of the most physical backs in the league!!! Are these Redskins fans talking at all? Are y'all judging Betts on his past two games, or what you've seen the past four years? Betts more physical than Portis? :laugh: I've seen it all.

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

December 8, 2006

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SIGN RB LADELL BETTS TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announce today that they have signed running back Ladell Betts to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal will not be announced.

Betts, 5-10, 222 is in his fifth season since being selected by the Redskins in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft out of Iowa. Betts is putting together his most productive season to date, having set numerous career highs this year, including rushing attempts (141) and yards (643), and tying his career-high for rushing touchdowns with two. In addition, Betts continues to be a threat catching the ball out of the backfield as well, with a career-high 40 receptions for 301 yards.

He is coming off a career-high 155 yard effort last week against Atlanta. It marked the first time in his career that he has rushed for more than 100 yards in back to back games and the third time this season he has gone over the century mark.

For his career, Betts has rushed 462 times for 1,914 yards and seven touchdowns. In addition he has 92 receptions for 808 yards in his five seasons with the team.

"Yeah, this makes the Duckett trade look downright stupid, they got him for insurance in case Portis got hurt, that happened ,and they still arent using him."

in respect to the FO...can anyone say "panicky dumb arses"?

Ain't that the truth?

But I like them re-signing Betts. Nice move, especially for the reportedly reasonable money. He's the kind of guy we should keep.

Archived