Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

I feel sorry for CP.

If he stays in Denver he goes to the paloffs every year, competes for rushing titles, scores double figure TDs and chases Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

Instead, he comes here, gains weight to be the power back he isn't, wreks his shoulders trying to erase this O-line's many mistakes, and now has to compete for his job with Ladell Betts. Ladell Betts?

Wow, the world we live in !

Bigger yes, more physical????????? You lost me right there. Clinton Portis is a much better blocker, he is tougher and please people look at the stats. If Clinton Portis had not been injured this year he would still be on pace to be the leading rusher of all time. Clinton Portis has done things in his career that no one else has and he is younger than Betts. Stop the trade Clinton Portis talk. It has been done before and it was as dumb then as it is now.

I have been a proponent of a Portis trade (if we get a good offer) however, there is something to be said for CP being in there for 1st and 2nd down and having Betts (who is a better receiver) in there on 3rd downs or other situational passing downs.

Betts has shown he can be an every-down back, but they both might benefit from splitting the carries.

I feel sorry for CP.

If he stays in Denver he goes to the paloffs every year, competes for rushing titles, scores double figure TDs and chases Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

Instead, he comes here, gains weight to be the power back he isn't, wreks his shoulders trying to erase this O-line's many mistakes, and now has to compete for his job with Ladell Betts. Ladell Betts?

i agree, hes not a power back yet everyone thinks he is cause joe gibbs wants him running in the middle. hes a LT kinda runner, smaller and insanely quick who can cutback and make plays on his own. joe gibbs doesnt want that, he wants a smashmouth gut dude like betts who might not be as fast, but can plow through people. with a good o-line in a power rushing game, betts and duckett is scarier than portis and duckett (at least here in washingtons scheme)

Ladell Betts 5-10 223

Clinton Portis 5-11 212

So shut up with the "Bigger" argument. Ladell Betts has never carried the ball more than 150 times in a season. He only went over the century mark this year because of the injury. Think about it. You want an unproven back in this offense? Portis is one of maybe three backs in history to run for over 1500 yards in 3 of first four years. You don't give up something like that.

Look at Denver now. I bet they wish they had Portis. Since he left they haven't had the run threat they did with him.

Clinton Portis is the best "Football Player" on this team. You don't trade that. Stop with these threads. Forget what you think you know and just stop posting about trading Portis. If our FO did that they would be even more inept than they currently seem to be.

Ladell Betts 5-10 223

Clinton Portis 5-11 212

So shut up with the "Bigger" argument. Ladell Betts has never carried the ball more than 150 times in a season. He only went over the century mark this year because of the injury. Think about it. You want an unproven back in this offense? Portis is one of maybe three backs in history to run for over 1500 yards in 3 of first four years. You don't give up something like that.

Look at Denver now. I bet they wish they had Portis. Since he left they haven't had the run threat they did with him.

Clinton Portis is the best "Football Player" on this team. You don't trade that. Stop with these threads. Forget what you think you know and just stop posting about trading Portis. If our FO did that they would be even more inept than they currently seem to be.

i never said they SHOULD trade portis, i think hes great. but for joe gibbs style of what hes trying to do, i dont think portis is the best fit. if saunders can actually do what he tried to do which is some downhill stuff plus the outside finesse stuff (where i think portis shines), portis will pwn people. but for downhill trucking, ill take betts any day.

and espn has him listed at 205, not 212

i agree, hes not a power back yet everyone thinks he is cause joe gibbs wants him running in the middle. hes a LT kinda runner, smaller and insanely quick who can cutback and make plays on his own. joe gibbs doesnt want that, he wants a smashmouth gut dude like betts who might not be as fast, but can plow through people. with a good o-line in a power rushing game, betts and duckett is scarier than portis and duckett (at least here in washingtons scheme)

I agree that Betts/Duckett makes more sense for us.

It's nothing against Portis, who I admire. I truly feel for the guy, cause he's a HOF talent in the wrong scheme for his strengths. And the NFL is all scheme.

I agree that Betts/Duckett makes more sense for us.

It's nothing against Portis, who I admire. I truly feel for the guy, cause he's a HOF talent in the wrong scheme for his strengths. And the NFL is all scheme.

i totally agree. and the sadder part is, i think portis actually wants to be in this scheme. all he ever talks about is how he wants to run up the middle, he pretty much says he doesnt like all the around stuff, which is funny cause hes 10x better at that than he is up the middle.

The problem with Portis / Betts, is that they are similar runners - good cuts, patient, hard runners for their size......Portis better at pure running, Betts better at recieving....

The "Changeup" that we have is Duckett, big bruising, straight ahead....but now we have two guys with decent contracts, with not much room for a 3rd, so he is pretty much gone....

Only reason that I can seen Saunders pushing for Portis / Betts is because he likes to use RB's in the passing game, and Duckett is no better than Portis....

I feel sorry for CP.

What world?

The world where poor CP had to make millions of dollars to play a game?

The world where he'll be expected to outplay other talented players in order to keep his job...where nothing is guaranteed EXCEPT the millions?

Wow, crazy world.

3.5 Mil is perfect. Keeps one of our own on the team, and doesn't break the bank in doing so. I like Betts, so long as he can remain healthy. I think now that he's gotten more playing time it has motivated him to do so.

Good job by the front office to get this done. Betts deserves it, unlike guys like Arch and Lloyd.

Archived