Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

search before you post something.. this is redskins nation.. we hear about everything before everyone

dude chill, I only see one other thread about this open and it doesn't contain the details of the contract. The details of the contract made it worth starting a new thread so you dont have to search through pages of a pre-existing one to find what you are looking for.

That aside, I am glad to see this news and that we didn't sign him to a huge contract. Betts is worth it.

I agree with thoses who think the Skins have too much $$$ invested in the RB slot. Not a good move IMO ... skins should have let Betts test the market ... then offer him a lower contract. The $$$ should go to resigning Cooley and Dockery. The FO still does not know what it is doing.

That's a downright cheap contract, especially with the current cap. I don't see a decent #2 RB going elsewhere for much less, if any. Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.

Let me see if I've got this right:

11 mil, 3.5 of it in signing bonus 2 of it in a 2007 roster bonus. Prorated the signing ponus is about 700k a year (correct?). I don't know if the roster bonus is a one time hit or what.

After bonuses it averages about 1.1 mil a year in unguaranteed salary, which is great news.

I feel sorry for CP.

If he stays in Denver he goes to the paloffs every year, competes for rushing titles, scores double figure TDs and chases Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

Instead, he comes here, gains weight to be the power back he isn't, wreks his shoulders trying to erase this O-line's many mistakes, and now has to compete for his job with Ladell Betts. Ladell Betts?

Wow, the world we live in !

Poor CP, denver didnt want him or pay him what he asked for. So he gets overpaid and lives in great falls. rough life i feel so bad. Poor Edgerrin James he left indy for money in arizona and sucks now. grow up.

i really love this!! and I don;t think it is any indication that portis is getting traded at all!! Gibbs has said over and over that he wants to be physical and run the ball so he needs two solid RBs to do that! we have these 2 locked up for a while and its the foundation of the team!!!

plus I am glad we are finally keeping our own guys around

This sucks, we can sign our #2 RB to a new deal but couldn't resign our starting MLB and one of our starting CBs. I hope TJ does well with his new team next year, since there is no chance he will stay. But Betts is stupid if you ask me. He should have gone into free agency and tried to see if he could get a starting job before he made himself a career backup.

Here are the terms + story link...............

WASHINGTON (AP) — Running back Ladell Betts signed a five-year, $11 million contract extension with the Washington Redskins on Friday, opting to remain in Clinton Portis' shadow rather than test free agency after a career-best season.

http://www.adelphia.net/sports/read.php?id=13296031&ps=973%2C974&srce=news_class&action=2〈=en&_LT=HOME_FBNWC02L2_UNEWS

It's a really rich deal for a backup running back. I mean, the guaranteed money is roughly the same amount Chester Taylor and Jamal Lewis got last year to be starters.

Still, I like the move. Saunders loves Betts (this deal tells me Saunders ain't going nowhere) and Portis/Betts could develop into a helluva one-two punch

Great deal and a great resigning. It's weird to see the skins actually keep someone for once. I'm surprised Betts signed for this little, but I'm glad he did. There are teams that definitely need a starting RB out there, or at least an upgrade, and Betts definitely provides that. I guess he gets a lot more up front this way, and I'm surprised we had enough room under the cap to swing that. Makes the Duckett trade completely useless and a total waste of a 3rd rounder, but I'm glad we kept at least ONE of them. Betts is probably a better 3rd down back anyway since he is a great receiver.

5 year extension for 11M. A 3.5M signing bonus and a 2M roster bonus in 07. After his recent performance I think he could have done a little better on the open market.

...or gotten hurt and got nothing. This is a very fair deal for the player and the team. It rewards Betts nicely for being a loyal Redskin and above average backup/change of pace from Portis yet it doesn't break the bank.

Besides, I'd have been surprised if he got much more than that. For a club to give him much more would mean they were expecting him to be another Priest Holmes (i.e. an underappreciated guy that blew up with his new club). Most likely he may have been able to squeeze another $500k-$750k out of somebody. So, for a potential gain of $500k-$750k he'd risk 5.5M? That just wouldn't be super smart. :)

Great to see this get done and I can't believe that people here still have to be pessimistic about Betts' abilities as a RB. It's refreshing to see a guy do this in mid-season because he wants to remain here. The man has been here for five seasons now and four of those five have been bad yet he wants to remain a Redskin. I admire that. Betts will probably have an increased role in the future becoming more of a 1-2 combo with Portis instead of being a backup. This will help lengthen Portis' career as too much work will put Portis into retirement long before he should.

Archived