Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Betts signs 5 yr extension (with financials) MERGED

Isifhan

wbar3383, if you have points to make, let's hear 'em :D

what's funny about the NFL is that unlike any other entertainment medium, the producers consistently tell the consumers that they have no idea whether what they are 'eating' actually tastes good or not :laugh:

the taste of the pudding my friend IS in the eating :D

the Redskins douched draft picks for Duckett needlessly as the club had two back in Betts and Cartwright who had rushed for 100 yards in games in 2005.

the Redskins also gave up way too much for Brandon Lloyd. Is this guy really a #2 receiver in the NFL? 20 catches for 295 yards after starting all 12 games?

geez, some receivers put up those numbers in 2-3 games.

and then we have seen the face of the beast so to speak this week from Lloyd with some very ugly comments about how he views himself and how others can 'get over it' if they don't like his me-first style.

these may not be warning signs to you of trouble for the club but they are starting to be for me.

you don't win championships with guys like this. for all the criticism Deion Sanders garnered in the press for his commercials and selfish endeavors off the field, no one ever accused him of being a stupid football player that did things ON the field to harm his team and then take no care of them publicly.

Archuleta simply seems miscast in his role here. He may be a great guy. Williams may have envisioned broadening the role he had with the Rams. Whatever the thought, the contract was too rich even if Adam had come in and been productive in this scheme.

The best safeties in the league are Reed, Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, etc. Archuleta is not on that list.

Strictly from a value perspective, you don't lavish dollars on players and treat them as top echelon when their performances show them to be less than that.

This team has done that consistently. In fact none of the players the Redskins brought in as free agents in 2006 made the pro bowl in 2005 with their former clubs.

These are not stars but mid-tier players that the Redskins elevated by salary. The players did not elevate themselves by performance.

The best safeties in the league are Reed, Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, etc. Archuleta is not on that list.

Strictly from a value perspective, you don't lavish dollars on players and treat them as top echelon when their performances show them to be less than that.

This team has done that consistently. In fact none of the players the Redskins brought in as free agents in 2006 made the pro bowl in 2005 with their former clubs.

These are not stars but mid-tier players that the Redskins elevated by salary. The players did not elevate themselves by performance.

Not only is he not on that list he's not even on the 2nd list of pretty good players. He was average at best overall in STL when he played.

I agree, every single player the Redskins have signed the past few years have been seriously overpaid. Even Moss. Yeah, he turned out to be better than expected but remember in 05 many weren't even sure if he was the #1 or Patten based on production. They got lucky with some of these guys but 06 was a huge bust in free agency. Probably worse than 2000.

much worse than 2000. in 2000 the defense was in the top rank and had two players, Coleman and Bruce Smith, with 10 plus sacks at DE. the pass defense was formidable with Bailey, Sanders and Green as the top 3.

the Redskins in 2000 lost games on offense and on the fact Norv (like the current Skins) could never seem to find an adequate kicker.

Westbrook got hurt. Brad Johnson got hurt. lineman Keith Sims got hurt. Alexander got hurt at TE.

The Redskins were dead in the water on offense.

Of the veteran free agents.............Smith played well in 2000 as did Marco Coleman. Sanders played solidly at corner although he was a bust as a punt returner (we should never have gotten rid of Mitchell)...............

only Mark Carrier was an outright bust. the guy was horrible in coverage and missed too many open field tackles.

of course there was the signing of Jeff George, perhaps the worst in Redskins history along with Dana Stubblefield and now Adam Archuleta.

This sucks, we can sign our #2 RB to a new deal but couldn't resign our starting MLB and one of our starting CBs. I hope TJ does well with his new team next year, since there is no chance he will stay. But Betts is stupid if you ask me. He should have gone into free agency and tried to see if he could get a starting job before he made himself a career backup.
The comment is stupid if you ask me. Betts is playing the game that he loves for a living and is now being payed very well. On top of it all, he gets to stay with the team and in the town that wants to.

How is all of that stupid?

I agree with thoses who think the Skins have too much $$$ invested in the RB slot. Not a good move IMO ... skins should have let Betts test the market ... then offer him a lower contract. The $$$ should go to resigning Cooley and Dockery. The FO still does not know what it is doing.
Someone please save my quote. If we re-sign Dockery, I will donate $200.00 to the "Youth For Tomorrow" foundation.

We really need to strengthen the LG and C positions.

I really like the move personally. It gives us a possible dual RB attack for next season assuming Betts will get a good percentage of the carries, thus keeping Portis healthy and fresh.

However, it also labels the Duckett trade as an official failure.

And I think the FO did a good job handling the Betts situation by locking him up before he could be tempted to test the FA market. I think the Skins have succeeded in preventing talent from leaving the Skins....for once. :rolleyes:

Right there you are wrong. Portis is not an "outside guy" and never was. This is a misconception that many have. He is much more at home running between the tackels just like in Denver. They ran a zone blocking that he made one cut between the tackle and guard or the center and guard and was gone. Never has he made his living outside of the tackles. Even he says that he would rather run in the middle and is tired of everyone trying to get him to be something he is not.

What he is not as good at as LB is patience behind blockers. LB follows a blocker into the hole or sets them up for a block where CP tends to outrun his blocking. He has gotten better, but still needs work. This was the biggest adjustment to our system for him. Denver never had a FB and rarely pulled the OL for runs.

He seems to have become right at home behind Sellers as of late though.:2cents:

actually denver uses a fullback all the time

mike anderson was the FB for clinton portis

I just want to know when betts got all this respect for being this physical back some of you guys are speaking of...

i agree with the resigning especially for something cheap like 5 years 11 million...but come on....

Some of you are actually measuring a guy with a career high 650 yards to a guy who put up 1500 yards per year in this same zone blocking sytem ....

a healthy portis this year would be right up there with LT and Larry Johnson in yards and TD's...if not pass them....

Hell Clinton had 523 yards and 7 TD's in next to no action...with only 2 games over 20 carries and 5 games under 15 carries...

Betts is a good back up and and team guy but physical is something he has never been in washington...

When the first guy brings you down %70 percent of the time you cant be considered physical in my book...

I consider that a disrespect to guys like..

Riggins

Byner

Gerald Riggs

Stephen Davis

Portis....

Betts is no where near that level...

A high school back can run through some of the holes he has had these last two weeks....

I think he has benefited from our new scheme and he is smart enough to know it..which is why he didnt want to test the market and end up having to pound the ball up the gut in oakland, cleveland or with the Jets...

The comment is stupid if you ask me. Betts is playing the game that he loves for a living and is now being payed very well. On top of it all, he gets to stay with the team and in the town that wants to.

How is all of that stupid?

Well it is not stupid if he wants being a career backup. But I was just thinking. He is having the best season of his career and could have waited until FA to see if he could find a team that he would start for or one with an old RB that he could replace in a year or two. Now he is stuck as being a #2 RB at best for the rest of his career.

Well it is not stupid if he wants being a career backup. But I was just thinking. He is having the best season of his career and could have waited until FA to see if he could find a team that he would start for or one with an old RB that he could replace in a year or two. Now he is stuck as being a #2 RB at best for the rest of his career.
How do you know that Portis is going to be here for Betts' entire career?

Don't let Art hear you say that! He has always maintained that our F.O. structure actually gives us an advantage in player aquisition. Of course that argument might hold water IF the guys we were targeting worked out most of the time.

:

That argument worked while the results were still vague ("you can't judge the FO yet... give it a few years!"). But the results are in. The check is due. The front office is a total, abject failure.

You measure success and failure in this league only one way: wins and losses. The front office has not been able to build a team capable of competing in the NFC East. I think even the long-term homers like Art see the error of their ways now.

pft.com

POSTED 8:21 p.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 9:34 p.m. EST, December 8, 2006

BETTS DEAL A BAD ONE?

Several league insiders have spoken out regarding the contract extension signed by Redskins running back Ladell Betts, who was only four games away from getting a chance to test the free-agent market.

The deal, per the Associated Press, is worth $11 million over five years. A league source tells us that the contract pays out $7.5 million over the first three seasons, and includes a $3 million signing bonus.

Those numbers are nothing to sneeze at. But with Betts so close to hitting the open market, why not see what he could get to go somewhere else and be the starter?

LaMont Jordan did that very thing two years ago. A backup with the Jets, Jordan snagged from the Raiders a five-year, $25 million contract that pays twice the amount Betts will make over the first three years.

Chester Taylor, a backup with the Ravens, inked a four-year, $14.1 million deal in March to become the go-to guy with the Vikings.

Teams that might be in the market for a tailback for 2007 include (as we see it) the Jets, the Browns, the Texans, the Broncos, the Giants, and the Packers.

We realize that, because Betts has been carrying the load of late, there was an increased chance that he might get injured in December, which could have killed his value in March. Still, he possibly left a lot on the table by taking the money now.

I certainly think this was a great move to steal Betts before he hit the market. I think Betts would have a gotten almost as much as Chester Taylor so we got him at a bargain price. Betts seems to be very happy here and maybe by taking less money he is putting the team first since Snyder will have more cap room to spend on the getting a solid LB and DE. Thank Mr. Betts for helping our team out in many ways.

with the way his contract is could they trade him?? Think about it we now have a lot of money tied up to 2 running backs, and I believe that Portis is due a bonus this coming year. Maybe the signed Betts to get back the pick they lost with Duckett, don't know the details of the contract to know if it is possible to trade or not

How do you know that Portis is going to be here for Betts' entire career?

You're right. People just don't seem to realize this. The closest thing to a "Redskin for liife" that we have now is Jansen, Rock, Samuels and Betts. I'm almost positive these are the only guys left from Spurrier's first season. I don't agree that he'll be a backup either. He's not going to be Portis' backup. He'll compliment Portis' game. Portis won't last four more years if he runs the ball 25-30x a game week in and week out each year.

I definitely like this signing and financially those are good numbers for us. Betts could have gotten much more money from the Eagles or whoever else was interested. Portis is still the #1 guy and hopefully everyone realizes it, but I think now we can have the Holmes/LJ combo with our two RBs, except both are in their prime instead of one being past his (Priest).

Archived