Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

JeffSchmeff

Archuleta was definitely a contributor for this article. He's trying to force the Redskins hand to release him and this is one way to do it. He realizes he banked too much bonus money to get released after one season and is worried about riding the pine into his 30s. That is, unless he becomes enough of a disturbance ala Arrington. This is far less "in your face" but it could achieve the same end.

He's not a current starter and he 's not a leader in the secondary - both of which Bram said described the player who was anonymously quoted in this article. I know it's so convenient (but laughable) to blame everything on AA, including this article. That way, you can write it off as a disgruntled FA as opposed to facing the facts that another player, who's currently starting, is so disgusted that he is willing to bad-mouth the coaches to the press. As someone said, the kool aid sure tastes sweet but, sooner or later, the sweetness begins to make you sick.

There have been myriad scapegoats, too, all players that Williams asked for. Scapegoat No. 1: Andre Carter. He was brought in to rush the passer, but players say Williams calls so many run stunts, he's not being allowed to do what he does best: speed rush. "Last year, the D-line started playing well when they straight started rushing the passer," the player said. "They could beat guys one on one and get in a rhythm and tee off. Now, we're trying to get too exotic, so we've got Cornelius Griffin doing exotic stuff, who doesn't rush on third down anymore basically. … All these stunts and games? The D-linemen are just saying, man, just let us go, just let us go."

Could this be the reason why we haven't seen what we all expected from Andre... this whole thing has my mind scribbled! :doh:

Bro I'm not changing my story. You posted a response to my post. you had a link attached to yor post. I looked a Springs contract and thats what I stated when I said. " Shawn was signed to a 6 year deal. In few years his pay sky rockets. The redskins have to restructure his deal or they can release him" Thats what I said. Now! What Bram said was this player was at the end of his contract and wants out. Now maybe Bram did not know the details of Springs contract. But he said tha this guy is a "STARTER AND A LEADER" Key word being( STARTER AND LEADER In the redskins secondary). Who do you think it is? It could be springs or whoever. Like I said. I'm just telling you what I heard on the show. If you dont believe me than thats on you. I have No reason to lie.
Sorry bro. I wasn't trying to accuse you of lieing. I was just saying it can't be Springs if what Bram said is right.

He's not a current starter and he 's not a leader in the secondary - both of which Bram said described the player who was anonymously quoted in this article. I know it's so convenient (but laughable) to blame everything on AA, including this article. That way, you can write it off as a disgruntled FA as opposed to facing the facts that another player, who's currently starting, is so disgusted that he is willing to bad-mouth the coaches to the press. As someone said, the kool aid sure tastes sweet but, sooner or later, the sweetness begins to make you sick.
Thank you:applause:

An interesting timeline of events.

To my understanding, over the last several weeks Gibbs has intensified his "one on one" meetings with players and coaches to air things out and check the "pulse" of the team. (let's hope he actually found a pulse)

Perhaps, as a result of these airings out, the anonymous player felt "safe" in letting the press have a sniff of his perception on what's up

originally written by Tom Friend..."Why are we the 30th defense in the league? I think coaches got arrogant, I think Gregg got arrogant," the player said Tuesday, asking not to be identified. "

Did Gibbs get wind of this "interview" before it was published?

originally written by Wilbon...Those within earshot of Gibbs during Wednesday's team meeting say he was irate. He was loud . . . loud enough to be heard in the nearby hallways at Redskins Park

Were all hands were dressed down? (George Michael seems to think so)

The players for being apathetic and going public? The coaches for being inflexible and unduly overbearing?

During his Thursday presser (a demure) GW expresses his admiration for Carolina coaches and their ability to mould their concepts around the players abilities and not just "ram a system down a players throat"...

A "telling" comment perhaps?

Sorry bro. I wasn't trying to accuse you of lieing. I was just saying it can't be Springs if what Bram said is right.
I feel you dog. Its late and I'm drunk and we are all frustrated. This season is a Nightmare. But as I responded to Tarhog. I too take this article with a grain of salt. This could be true or not true. Who knows?

I feel you dog. Its late and I'm drunk and we are all frustrated. This season is a Nightmare. But as I responded to Tarhog. I too take this article with a grain of salt. This could be true or not true. Who knows?

3-7 and a 30th ranked Defense says it's likely more true than false.

I also wanted to mention that the article touched on this, but this quote was telling

"There is no more room in this league for a Buddy Ryan."

It's often mentioned that Williams is a Buddy Ryan disciple, and I always do a double-take when I hear that, because frankly I can't think of a worse 'marraige' between coaching styles than Gibbs and a Buddy-Ryan disciple. Somehow it worked last season (barely) but overall, I think we've seen enough ON THE RECORD comments from former players that point to Williams being an arrogant taskmaster, and I just get this overall feeling that the defense feels like it's not treated in the same way as the offense on this team.

On the plus side, the $1,000,000 Head Coach won't count against the salary cap, and Snyder can afford it.

Joe needs to re-evaluate his defensive coaching staff this off-season. If I was in charge and saw Jackson pouting-I would tell him to hit the road--what kind of message does Jackson send to the players when he acts that way. I hope saunders returns--you don't continue to have a top offense for several years by being "gimmicky".

First, I want to say that nobody should be fired immediately, but a thorough analysis should be undertaken. I would've hoped it had begun weeks ago.

Tarhog, your defense of GW is admirable.

However, the fact that you have met him, enters bias into the mix.

The fact that you are likely to run into him again (should he survive this onslaught),

makes you even more suspect to bias.

I agree that a grain of salt needs taken here with the article, but something is

very, very wrong and this does help to explain some of the issues.

I am sick to my stomach that Gibbs has allowed this, that GW has allowed this.

And by that I mean, the 3-7 hell that we're all living (again!).

We have a dysfunctional team with whistle blowing and charges of corruption and incompetence.

We'll get a good measuring stick of how much is "steam" and how much is fact over the coming weeks. Lies will be debated, not only by coaches, but by players themselves. If you start hearing a lot of no comment and we keep team matters in the locker room- well, everyone can decide for themselves.

Either way, it is an ugly mess and clearly out of control.

If anything 'biases' me, its my Marine Corps experience. Gregg Williams is a leader. Of course, he's not in the Marine Corps, he's dealing with pro football players, many of whom don't think they need a coach, and aren't particularly interested in sacrificing self for the team. So I'm not saying his style is a recipe for success. But if you want a guy who speaks the truth, holds players accountable, and accepts no excuses, well, Gregg Williams is about as fine a coach as you're going to find.

What I might suggest is that its not his style that needs replacing, but the players he's coaching in some instances.

And I won't be 'encountering' Gregg Williams in the future. I gave up my staff position, and relinquished all future game coverage duties, so whatever I say, its because I believe it.

I'd go to battle with Gregg Williams any damn day of the week. As for the rest of the Redskins defense, well, that would depend on who you're talking about. Some of them just don't have the 'right stuff'.

And I know what the 'right stuff' is :)

If anything 'biases' me, its my Marine Corps experience. Gregg Williams is a leader. Of course, he's not in the Marine Corps, he's dealing with pro football players, many of whom don't think they need a coach, and aren't particularly interested in sacrificing self for the team. So I'm not saying his style is a recipe for success. But if you want a guy who speaks the truth, holds players accountable, and accepts no excuses, well, Gregg Williams is about as fine a coach as you're going to find.

What I might suggest is that its not his style that needs replacing, but the players he's coaching in some instances.

And I won't be 'encountering' Gregg Williams in the future. I gave up my staff position, and relinquished all future game coverage duties, so whatever I say, its because I believe it.

I'd go to battle with Gregg Williams any damn day of the week. As for the rest of the Redskins defense, well, that would depend on who you're talking about. Some of them just don't have the 'right stuff'.

And I know what the 'right stuff' is :)

Tarhog. Are you still active duty. I am. In 2002 I did a Deployment with the 24TH M.E.U. I was assigned to ACU4 out of LITTLE CREEK. That Deployment was 10 months long. I was T.A.D. on the USS TORATUGA LSD 46,(I hope I spelled it right). I met alot of good MARINES on that deployment. We keep in touch still to this day.

Tarhog, I don't know if you've ever coached athletes before and I certainly respect your Marine Corps experience but I don't really think you know what you're talking about. I've coached for over ten years and I've had the opportunity to work with some ex-pro ball players. One of those coaches I worked with I thought I would learn all sorts of advanced skills/schemes/practice/team stuff. I didn't, my knowledge of the game was good enough, what I did learn from this guy were skills about how to relate to players that I didn't know before. I took away some extremely valuable lessons from that season.

As a coach, you are trying to get human beings to operate at high physical and mental levels AND get them to do this as a team. I served in the military as well and the coach and drill sergant rolls couldn't be farther apart. You can go around barking at players if you want but not all players respond to that, especially if YOU don't have your act together. My feeling is that if you're going to be an @$$hole for a coach, you better walk on water. You better make the right calls and have the players in the correct schemes/calls. The players will still not like you for being an @$$hole but they will respect you because the team is sucessfull.

This was a great article written by Friend, very revealing. My question is that I wonder is if or how long Gibbs has known about this. I can't believe he's not aware of of some of this. It kind of makes me sick that GW's personality has destroyed this team. Seeing Walt Harris, AP and Clark having good years on other teams isn't fun.

Hearing that a coach at the PROFESSIONAL level is pouting during practice or during a game is mind blowing.

Wow, what an article. GWilliams might just be done here unless he gets the guys to play hard from here on out.

I'm guessing Springs or Rogers. I don't think it is Archuleta because Friend says the player commented on situations from last year.

This actually might be the only way AA thing is reconciled. Assuming Snyder didn't or does not pull a laverneus on AA, he might turn around his stint here in Washington.

I have been disappointed with Archuleta, but maybe it's a combination of Williams in addition to Archuleta's just downright bad play this year.

Wow, thats tough to swallow. This team is in total disarray.

Id bet my bottom dollar that Shawn Springs is the one running his mouth. All the interviews Ive seen with him this year he's been really bummed, atleast it seemed that way. Now it makes sense, he's lost all respect for G.W. He's disgusted, and he cant stay silent about it any more.

It has to be Springs. Its definately a defender and definately someone in the secondary. But in the article it said that safeties and corners have seperate meetings, so that discludes any safeties based on this comment."Scapegoat No. 3: Rogers. He's the cornerback that was left on an island on the go-ahead touchdown Sunday against Tampa Bay's Joey Galloway. Williams blitzed and missed, costing the team the score. Afterward, Williams took public blame for the call, a rarity, but a Redskins player said, "No, he didn't. In meetings, Carlos still heard about it.""

Springs is the only corner whos been here the past few years, it couldnt be anyone else. He's got to go. I dont blame him for feeling the way he does but he should keep his mouth shut, especially in the media. I dont know what to say, other than a whole bunch of ES owe Archy a humble apology, if indeed this article holds any truth.

This organization is officially a JOKE.

Holy smokes, that was SOME column by Tom Friend. I had no idea things were so bad, internally, with the defense, but it certainly explains a LOT when it comes to understanding why Sean Taylor is playing so poorly this year. They've essentially changed his game - bottled up his instincts. Such a shame.

As far as the "player" providing much of this info.....hmmmm.......I tend to agree with most here that it's probably Sean Springs. I know that on offense, the anonymous source is almost always Jansen. Almost always.

But this attitude of Williams is really troubling. Poison. Hope he enjoys coaching in Tennessee next year.

um, maybe its just me, but it sounds like this player should be wearing a skirt. this quote was a red flag for me:

"And Gregg Williams says all the time, it's not my money. If Gregg was the one writing the checks, I don't know if he'd handle it that way. But he says it in meetings. He gives us speeches about, 'If you don't know what to do, you're going to be standing next to me on the sideline, I don't give a f---. That's where you're going to be. I need to be able to trust you. Hey, it's not my money. I don't care how much you make, I don't care who you are, I'm not the one writing the check, you need to know your assignments, know what to do.' That's what Gregg says. I wonder how Snyder would feel if he heard that one."

Is something wrong with this? I dont see this quotw as arrogant on the part of williams but maybe the player who thinks they can play like **** with no consequence of being replaced by someone who can handle it. Parcells does the same thing all time. You start making mistakes and he is in your face and you are on the sidelines. Look at their D now.

Archived