Extremeskins

ESPN - Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

JeffSchmeff

Wow - I hadn't seen this on here. This is some shocking stuff:

Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

By Tom Friend

ESPN The Magazine

Archive

They're irrelevant by Thanksgiving again, and somehow there hasn't been steam coming out of Joe Gibbs' ears. I covered Gibbs in the '80s, the glory '80s, when losses were like death, when he micromanaged, when he used to bring in his struggling players and offer them a bible. One year, the punt team couldn't cover a kick, so he hired a second special teams coach. One year, a player anonymously ripped his methods in the press, so he called a team meeting and ordered the mystery player to raise his hand. Nobody did. He might've been cut.

That's ancient history now, because Joe Gibbs is 3-7 and, by all accounts, a grandfather figure at Redskin Park. You ask players what they think of him, and they say, "Good dude." If Joe Gibbs was 3-7 in 1987, nobody would've been saying "Good dude" -- they'd have been cursing him for the three-hour practices. Joe, the first time around, would've fixed this by now, but instead he appears to be a burned out coach again, who is allowing his defensive coaching staff to run amok.

Click the link for the rest:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668

:eaglesuck Wow, what an article! I find it so hard to believe it has gotten this bad with Joe Gibbs at the helm. And maybe that is what drives me so crazy about a story like this. . . . it kind of indicates Joe ISNT at the helm! Whether it is because he has created a red tape bureacracy (sp?) of millionairre coaches or he is just too physically tired to be the passionate genius who made more of the men he lead than they were ever destined to be without him. I believe in Joe Gibbs. I believe in him completely but I think Joe has only one way to be succesful and this article talks about it. Attention to detail. Its a cliche in the NFL and sports in general but Joe Gibbs managed every element of his prior teams. He called the plays, he met with the players and the coaches. He was fired up. He was not beyond getting in a players face. Joe was passionate. I believe it is killing him to see "his" team like this.I find it also amazing that this Steve Jackson gets away with this or for that matter this "anonymous player" hasnt caused a full blown crapstorm for this team with his dissension! Joe needs to take the reigns immediately. The game hasn't "passed him by". Its Joe Gibbs for God's sake!! But he can't be the guy looking from afar. He needs to role up his sleeves and take the controls. I picture him sitting in the captain's chair with Al and Greg reaching over his lap to do the actual driving.

That is stunning that the safeties and corners don't meet together. No wonder our secondary looks lost.

I'm not terribly surprised that Williams seems to have lost the players. His approach is dangerous in that it can work when times are good, but if your coach is a jerk AND you are losing, it makes it pretty difficult to want to play for him.

Holy ****! Greg Williams needs to get the **** out of washington. You know, even if this is adam arch, and he's pissed off because he got benched you can't argue with that. It makes sense. We have all heard about the ENORMOUS ego williams has. He can't be the next coach here. He drove away good players. He's an ass.

Can him! I'm serious. Can his ass now and hire someone else to replace him. The entire defensive staff needs to go!!

A lot of guys on this board have been saying that Williams thought "any player" could fit his schemes, which is why he jettisoned good players. And that is arrogant and it is all about ego. Still I have to agree that good players have been hurt, or playing hurt. For the secondary to not meet as a "group" if that is true is scary...

The biggest surprise for me was that Archuleta was not going to start and that Prielou (sp ) was before he was injured.

It will be an interesting off season and I hope Joe takes over on Offense, lets Saunders go, puts Williams on a tight leash and gets some decent player for the Defense. I am happy with our offensive configuration for the most part but think we need some stronger, more athletic tackles on the O line.

Last season, Williams was walking on water. The defense was the talk of the town, and everyone had him shoed in for the next head coach of the Washington Redskins.

With this season past the midway point, I was wondering how everyone felt about this consideration.

Our defense is basically ranked DEAD LAST in almost every category that counts. So, with what seemed a gimme last season, what is everyones idea now that the defense looks, and plays like the worst team in football this season.

Has Williams lost favor with everyone? Has he lost his opportunity to be a successor to Gibbs? Is Saunders now the man who will likely take the reins when Gibbs decides to retire? I personally think that Williams has blown it. There is no way Snyder will give Williams the chance to become the head coach of this team.

Archived