Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Reeling Redskins awash in troubles

JeffSchmeff

Tarhog and Bubba, I don't understand your position and maybe I'm just reading you wrong but it seems like both of you just want this whole story to go away and you don't believe it. Based on everything we've seen over the past several seasons, and especially THIS season, how can it NOT be true. Players have been disrespected and key players have been released. All of them sing the same tune when they leave. Either they all get together and colaborate a story or they're all telling the truth..

Where there is smoke there is fire, no?

Shawn Springs is at the end of his contract?

That sucks if he wants out but if this story is true and he is the culprit who leaked it then I think maybe it will be. Doesn't sound like he'd be too disgruntled about it.

What pisses me off the MOST about the article is the players listed who have departed. The ONLY one I don't care too much about is Lavar. I feel badly for him but he obviously lost a step and didn't fit into any scheme.

The other players ... man... they were good. They wanted to be here. Smoot is having some problems so maybe you could make an arguement that the decision to let him go wasn't so bad. But the others...

And this was the thing I was worried about. With all the power struggles and hissing contests that are taking place right now, not only will free agents NOT want to come here, but the decent players we do have won't want to stay. I have this horrible feeling that Jason Campbell could be the second coming of Sammy Baugh, but because dysfunction rules this organization, he won't be able to wait to get out of here!

:applause: :cheers:

Right on the money. Sooner or later players don't care about money...they care about a consistent winner.

williams and saunders need to have their titles scrapped. forget that Assistant head coach-defense and Associate head coach-offense crap. its making them too big for their britches and taking away from the one who should really be in charge...Gibbs.

who wishes we should've tried harder to keep LaVar and smoooooot

That sucks if he wants out but if this story is true and he is the culprit who leaked it then I think maybe it will be. Doesn't sound like he'd be too disgruntled about it.

What pisses me off the MOST about the article is the players listed who have departed. The ONLY one I don't care too much about is Lavar. I feel badly for him but he obviously lost a step and didn't fit into any scheme.

The other players ... man... they were good. They wanted to be here. Smoot is having some problems so maybe you could make an arguement that the decision to let him go wasn't so bad. But the others...

Do you think this is the reason there was no rallying cry this year from the players, no "6 and 0 or we don't go?"

This piece confirms everything I feared about Gregg Williams. He's not only incredibly arrogant but also not a very good coach. His blitzes are a joke. Everyone in the house knows when and how they are coming.

He's lost a lot of very good players because of his ego, none more devastating to the team than Pierce. And now he clearly needs to go because the few talented players we have left clearly won't play for him.

He needs to go and take this manic depressive nut job Jackson with him.

Imagine if we actually let this clown coach the whole team? We'd go 0-16 for sure.

I just about got sick after reading that article. It clearly explains why the defense is underachieving. Granted, the players have to make plays and they have to tackle. But, when there's so much bickering, so much in the way of animosity towards those whom you're supposed to respect and expect to put you in position to make plays, I see why the defense has been playing with no emotion lately. That side of the ball has become cancerous. It's really sad it's come down to this and maybe Mr. Williams needs to take his ego elsewhere!
Well bro! you know how the old sayings go. " Things are not always as Bad as it seems and things are not always as good as it seems. We will get out of this some how some way. I'm praying for this team and organization.

'largely built on one anonymous source'.....thats kind of a compelling detail, don't you think Todd? I'm not saying there aren't elements of truth in that story, but truth is far more subjective than most believe around here. I'm amazed that nearly every comment in this thread seems to echo absolute acceptance of the contents of the that article as 'the truth'.

You guys should know better. Never believe all that you read.

The problem here is that what I see on the field on Sunday backs up what I am reading in this article. One anonymous source or not you cannot argue with the fact that so many guys who were willingly allowed to leave here are lighting it up somewhere else while the guys who are replacing them are sucking air. Add to that the fact that for several weeks now I, and every other fan on this board, have watched this defense line up the same guys in the same formations and get beat by the same plays with NO adjustments.

I don't care what the problem is, it is the coaches job to fix it. If a guy is not getting the job done it is the coaches job to either correct the behavior or sit the guy down. Period. What we are seeing is willingness to do neither.

I am not saying I believe this whole article but I am saying where there is smoke there is nearly always fire. This defense has given up huge games on the ground this year and given up a staggering number of big plays. The two high priced defensive additions for the year either can't play like was thought or are not being used correctly. Take your pick but either is the fault of the coaches.

I am sorry but if there is even a shade of truth to this article then it is pretty damning and frankly, I think you only need to look at the play of the defense to see that there nearly has to be some truth to what Tom wrote.

It's just goofy that people buy into the fact that one coach's arrogance is the root of our problems on defense. It's not that simple. You don't go from one of the best units in the league to one of the worst because of one reason unless that one reason is being decimated by injuries. Want to know why we're struggling on defense? In no particular order:

1) Lack of ON FIELD leadership

2) Our outstanding free agent class of 2004 has not aged like fine wine

3) Injuries to DTs and CBs

4) Lemar Marshall is playing the wrong position

5) There aint one pass rusher in the front 7 who offensive coordinators must account for. Good defenses usually have at least 2.

6) Archuleta and Carter have done zilch and the effect is 2 fold: it means we're getting less production from those positions and it hurts morale since both are getting paid really well.

7) Some players (Sean Taylor especially) are having down years because they are trying to "do too much." But who can blame them for trying to make a play when the whole unit is struggling?

Here's a newsflash: All top coaches are arrogant to some degree. It's funny but when you think of the most arrogant coaches in the league (Belicheck, Parcells, Gruden, Billick) they also tend to have the most rings. Even a guy like Belicheck who has 3 rings in the last 5 seasons has caught more flak than the average coach for his my way or the highway approach. I've seen team leaders like Tom Brady and Richard Seymour publicly question decisions the Patriots have made. If any coach should operate unquestioned, it's BB - and it doesn't happen. So I'm beginning to think that this is just the culture of the NFL today - b*tch, b*tch, b*tch and hope ESPN picks up the story.

All this article is is a story about a couple of players who are disgruntled and trying to pass the buck. Maybe their friend didn't get resigned and they're upset. Maybe we're talking about a player who got benched and is venting. Who knows and who cares. To hell with them.

I'm not about to act like our coaching staff has been infallible - especially this season. We've also made our share of blunders in personnel and free agency. But excuse me while I back Williams and the staff over a couple of bad apples who also go by the moniker "anonymous sources."

To fire Williams would send a horrible, horrible message. It would lead players to believe that the inmates still run the asylum here. That bellyaching can get coaches fired. Ask Oakland fans how much fun that is to watch. I don't care if GW has to turn over the entire defensive roster and play undrafted free agents for the next 3 years, he stays and cry babies can go. I don't miss the country club days with Norv Turner. How soon we forget.

Sounds like GW is making life miserable for some people right now. Hopefully Gibbs is doing the same.

Well bro! you know how the old sayings go. " Things are not always as Bad as it seems and things are not always as good as it seems.

Isn't that a LaVar quote? :doh:

j/k. I'm sure LaVar didn't coin it, he's just the only one I've ever heard use it. And he sure used it a lot. Either way I think there's a lot of truth to it even if it did come from mr. nickles.

Dan Snyder's jet -- Redskin One -- is probably already fueling up to greet Nate Clements and Dwight Freeney on the first day of 2007 free agency.

This statement is sad, but probably true.

As for the article, it was really depressing to red, but well written as well. My guess to who called Williams "arrogant", is Springs or Archuleta.

:logo:

If any of this stuff about the defense is true, JC better be ready to have Doug Williams-Super Bowl XXII moments come Sunday and the rest of the season. Because it looks like we're not going to be able to count on the defense until they learn how to get along with each other, at the very least!

okay...um...first of all...Jackson needs to get out.

Second of all...Williams needs a SERIOUS talking too. I don't think he needs to get fired, but he needs a SERIOUS warning, and probably a one year notice.

Third of all...LET TAYLOR PLAY!!!!

Fourth of all...How can Williams and Jackson not even speak to AA since the BYE! Thats just horrendous

Fifth of all... I don't blame Gibbs for being burned out if the man w/ carte blanche on defense is on a power trip. On second thought, fire GW, and promote Lindsey.

Sixth of all...How much do you want to bet Gibbs contributed to this article? Seriously...Friend covered the Redskins during Gibbs I. They've met. I guarentee Gibbs contributed on a deep backround basis. That means Jackson is already on his way out.

Seventh of all...the source, I will not try to help the coaching staff begin their mole hunt (o yea, its gonna happen, if they got peeved about the JC story by Fat Lenny the day after they made the trade for the pick, then there gonna go crazy figuring out who Deep Throat is). my speculation is Springs though.

"According to the Redskins player, Jackson then began berating his players profanely -- although he tends to go lighter on Taylor -- and they reached bottom in Philadelphia, when Donte' Stallworth beat Taylor deep for an 84-yard touchdown. Witnesses say that at that point, the other defensive coaches became officially peeved at Jackson for making Taylor "play like a robot," and for turning him into a confused, regressing player who now tunes out coaches and teammates."

Its awful to hear that the Redskins could have possibly ruined the development of Taylor. Wouldn't surprise me though. Wow would that be a waste....

I almost hate our team after this article.... :laugh:

Wow. Well, I know I'm arriving late to the party, and most of what I will say has already been said, but I just finished reading the article and wanted to put my two cents worth in.

Gregg Williams is a good coach. Gregg Williams led our defense to top ten finishes two years in a row. He also built good defenses in Tennessee and Buffalo. Because of his history of success as a defensive coach, I find it hard to believe that he is primarily responsible for our defensive failings. Also, I think he has done well enough here to warrant giving him a chance to right the ship.

Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach. I think suggesting that he has lost the team to such an extent as this article claims is ridiculous. While I disagree with the hate directed at Gregg Williams, it is at least understandable. The hate directed at Gibbs is just ludicrous. I find it hard to believe that a Joe Gibbs team could have this kind of upheavel. If they do, then I think that Gibbs is the best man to fix it.

Regarding the anonymous source in this article, he is clearly one disgruntled dude. I would be willing to bet it is Adam Archuletta since he has more reason to be upset than anybody else. It must be someone with an axe to grind. Whoever is willing to disparage the team this way is the one most deserving of criticism. I find myself most upset not at Williams or Gibbs, but at the player who would so willingly disparage and undermine the franchise. I would be willing to bet that whoever it is was not part of the defense's recent success. As I said, my geuss is it was Adam Archuletta, not Washington or Springs as some have suggested. It would be too out of character for one of those guys to say such things, but Arch has been disgrunteld ever since training camp when he complained about how hard it was to adapt to the system. In fact, if this is his attitude, it would certainly explain why he is riding the pine.

Wow. Well, I know I'm arriving late to the party, and most of what I will say has already been said, but I just finished reading the article and wanted to put my two cents worth in.

Gregg Williams is a good coach. Gregg Williams led our defense to top ten finishes two years in a row. He also built good defenses in Tennessee and Buffalo. Because of his history of success as a defensive coach, I find it hard to believe that he is primarily responsible for our defensive failings. Also, I think he has done well enough here to warrant giving him a chance to right the ship.

Joe Gibbs is a Hall of Fame coach. I think suggesting that he has lost the team to such an extent as this article claims is ridiculous. While I disagree with the hate directed at Gregg Williams, it is at least understandable. The hate directed at Gibbs is just ludicrous. I find it hard to believe that a Joe Gibbs team could have this kind of upheavel. If they do, then I think that Gibbs is the best man to fix it.

Regarding the anonymous source in this article, he is clearly one disgruntled dude. I would be willing to bet it is Adam Archuletta since he has more reason to be upset than anybody else. It must be someone with an axe to grind. Whoever is willing to disparage the team this way is the one most deserving of criticism. I find myself most upset not at Williams or Gibbs, but at the player who would so willingly disparage and undermine the franchise. I would be willing to bet that whoever it is was not part of the defense's recent success. As I said, my geuss is it was Adam Archuletta, not Washington or Springs as some have suggested. It would be too out of character for one of those guys to say such things, but Arch has been disgrunteld ever since training camp when he complained about how hard it was to adapt to the system. In fact, if this is his attitude, it would certainly explain why he is riding the pine.

Read my response on page 11 # 161. then tell me who you think it is.

Archived