Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I being too sensitive?

Henry

I almost never start threads, but I heard something on the radio this morning that really upset me, and I thought I'd ask our not-so-PC board what it thinks.

This morning on 980 they had Boomer on the show, as they do every week, and Boomer was talking about how he met his wife. He kinda joked that she wanted nothing to do with him or something and the Czaban, joking with Boomer, said "get out of here you albino freak!" After some nervous laughter, they moved on, though Andy Pollin did tell Czaban he may have been over the line with that comment.

My son has albinism. He wasn't in the car, but I can only imagine the conversation I'd be having with him if he was. I thought Czaban was way over the line making fun of his condition like that. I've considered writing in to the show about it, but I'm guessing the best I could hope for would be Czaban going off on how you just can't make fun of anyone anymore, so I think I'll just let it drop. But I did want to reach into my radio and smack him.

Am I making too big a deal of this?

You can't control what you find offensive.

Though I think we are all guilty at one time or another for poking fun at someone without fully realizing how it sounds before it comes out of our mouth.

I don't get the impression that he meant to hurt his feelings or anything like that, but I can understand where it would bother you, considering it is something that you can relate to.

We all have things for which we are sensitive, whether they involve ourselves or those close to us. Everyone has imperfections. I'm sure you've made "insensitive" statements in your lifetime. It happens. It sucks, but in reality, you can't protect your son from life. Unfortunately, had he heard Czaban's comments, it would probably not be the first time he was in earshot of such statements (although I guess that depends on his age). I don't think you're being overly sensitive. However, you must realize that the statements were made in jest, and were not in any way directed at your son.

Not all PCism is wrong. Attacking a target just because it is an easy target for a quick joke doesn't show cleverness. I think this is an issue of your sensitivity, but not necessarily about your being too sensitive. If you took offense not for the sake of taking offence and being propper, but because it disturbed you than the offense was real.

Probably said that badly. Hope you know what I mean.

Why are you listening to Czabe? You know he's an idiot to begin with.

I listen to them when Mike and Mike are on a commercial break. :)

I don't get the impression that he meant to hurt his feelings or anything like that, but I can understand where it would bother you, considering it is something that you can relate to.

Clearly Czaban was joking. But he was joking about Boomer's appearance, not albinism. It would have been like joking "get out of here you freaking cripple!" to a guy with a broken arm. I seriously doubt the guy with the broken arm would be offended, but that's not the point.

I've heard that the only people in this country its ok to make fun of without getting grief are fat people. That's not true. Albinos are made fun of ALL the time. They are always portrayed as freaks and weirdos.

Funny the things you notice when you're a parent.

I've heard that the only people in this country its ok to make fun of without getting grief are fat people. That's not true. Albinos are made fun of ALL the time. They are always portrayed as freaks and weirdos.

Funny the things you notice when you're a parent.

This is also a sports radio show, not comedy hour, so even if he was joking on his appearance he was way off. You are right to be offended by this, and it would not hurt to write a letter to let them know. He could of used a better choice of words like you are white as a ghost etc...

Henry, to be honest IMO, you have a right to be upset because its YOUR son that may have been very upset had he heard that comment. I"m far from being a PC policeman, and I can be guilty myself when using the word "retarded" or some other word that may not have been intended to insult someone that actually has a learning disability.

Kind of like using the word "gay". I do that all the time to, but as you know from my post history, I an FOR the rights of homosexuals. I doubt that the commentator mean any offence to anyone who was an albino, however, its one of those situations that causes discomfort for parents.

This is also a sports radio show, not comedy hour, so even if he was joking on his appearance he was way off. You are right to be offended by this, and it would not hurt to write a letter to let them know. He could of used a better choice of words like you are white as a ghost etc...

So what??? Its ok to offend ghosts??

My son has albinism. He wasn't in the car, but I can only imagine the conversation I'd be having with him if he was.

Henry, you're going to have to have that conversation with him at some point anyways. And if you think that he's already at the point where if he would have heard on the radio TODAY... that you would have had to have a talk... then you need to have that talk RIGHT NOW in anticipation of it.

The fact is.. if it wasn't Czaban... it's going to be someone else. It's going to happen. Is it offensive to you? Yes. Is your child going to have to deal with it in his/her life? Absolutely.

It doesn't matter who said... your child needs to be prepared for it. And as you'd think of anyone who walked across the street and yelled that to your kid... you'd think they were a jerk... and they are... but you have to move on.

There's jerks in the world. I know that much. And my approach to jerks is to not let them get any satisfaction being a jerk.

I almost never start threads, but I heard something on the radio this morning that really upset me, and I thought I'd ask our not-so-PC board what it thinks.

This morning on 980 they had Boomer on the show, as they do every week, and Boomer was talking about how he met his wife. He kinda joked that she wanted nothing to do with him or something and the Czaban, joking with Boomer, said "get out of here you albino freak!" After some nervous laughter, they moved on, though Andy Pollin did tell Czaban he may have been over the line with that comment.

My son has albinism. He wasn't in the car, but I can only imagine the conversation I'd be having with him if he was. I thought Czaban was way over the line making fun of his condition like that. I've considered writing in to the show about it, but I'm guessing the best I could hope for would be Czaban going off on how you just can't make fun of anyone anymore, so I think I'll just let it drop. But I did want to reach into my radio and smack him.

No, Czaban is a dope. He sucks.

This guy probably thinks he's an icon here now because of the stunt he pulled with Brunell.

That is tough one Henry. Can we not joke around anymore? But is it really a joke if someone is offended? This might not have been mean-sprited by Czabe but it hit home with you. I agree that it would be unfortunate for your child to hear this coming from the radio. I am sure the stares he unfortunately gets on a daily basis are tough enough to deal with. But to hear this from someone on the radio would have been tougher. To hear the words that others may be thinking but who just stare would be very unfortunate.

I really don't have the answer. I am not sure why I responded.

I hear ya, Die Hard. I agree with everything you posted.

I guess my question is, is it ok for me to think Czaban was being a jerk.

No, because your are personalizing it. The comment wasn't directed at your son... you are being sensitive to the issue becuase your son shares a characteristic of Boomer and you identified with it..... but other than that.. there's no association.

I really don't have the answer. I am not sure why I responded.

:laugh:

That's what happened to me. I started to type a response then realized I didn't know what the hell I was trying to say or what I thought. On one hand, the PC stuff is annoying and you like for people to be able to joke around and say borderline stuff. On the other hand, the rules completely change once someone is talking about your child. I don't know, I'm not sure where I stand on this. I would lean towards saying talking with your son is the best thing. You can't do a thing to control what people around him will do and say but you can prepare him to deal with *******s, of which Czabe is certainly one.

As a parent it's entirely right to be aware of and 'sensitive' to things that will affect your kids. I think it's right that you should prepare your son for the jibes he may get and how to handle them.

And also I think there's no harm in dropping a note to Czaban reminding him of what the words he used actually mean to some people. Adults can grow a thicker skin but badly chosen words do hurt young kids, and that show is not meant to be adult only.

Archived