Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Novak has a great leg

idk2

I don't think anyone considers Vinatieri is the best kicker in the NFL, atleast I don't.

He is an incrediable clutch kicker but i've always noticed that he alittle bit inconsistant on kicks that come throughout the game.

But if the game is on the line he's the guy you want.

I think the realistic goal for you kicker is, he makes the all the easy kicks and gives you a chance on the long ones.

Novak isn't that. Maybe he will be, but I don't see it, he's very inconsitant and can be easily replaced.

Dude, what are you smoking?

Kickers, just like every other position, improve with time. That is a fact. Go look at the first season or two of kickers around the league and I'll bet that the MAJORITY kick better now than then.

Also, if a bad kicker could easily be replaced, it would have already happened, dont you think???

Im not a Maryland fan at all some theres no bias here. What I see is a young guy who excelled in college and has played ok in a hand full of games in the NFL. He's missed some "easy" kicks but he's also made two game winners.

In other words, he's got upside. He's certainly better than a gimpy Hall, which is what we've had for the past two years. Your comment about 'you can either kick or you cant' is silly. Playing and sticking with Novak is a no lose situation. Im hopeful (but realistic too) about the rest of the season but our odds of making the playoffs is super slim. If he doesnt work out, no biggie. But if he does DEVELOPE into the kicker that we're hoping for, we could have a reliable guy for many, many years. Give him a chance, he's barely played and you're ready to give up already. Like I said, I would be willing to bet that the majority of kickers progressed nicely from their rookie years on.

Hall was very consitant on making the gimme kicks, Novak can miss any kick anywhere at anytime, I hold my breath when he attempts an extra point.

And i'm not saying Hall was the best or the answer, but i'd rather have a "healthy" Hall than Novak.

I hope you're right, I hope Novak turns out to be great and a long time Redskin, but I bet you a round he won't be and probably won't even be the kicker next year. :cheers:

I hope you're joking about Hall. His sorry ass missed a FG in Seattle last year(playoffs) that would've make the score 13-20 and it killed any momentum we had going. I hated that guy. I have never seen a kicker be so god damn bad in clutch situations. He cost us the Minny game and almost cost us the Jacksonville game this year when he was supposedly 'healthy'. Hall = anti-clutch!

I am not sure we are going to cut John Hall. If you guys can remember the few years b4 we got John Hall we had some pretty horrible kickers, then when we got John Hall we started railing kicks, and we actually could trust our kicker could make the field goal. John Hall has also been very honest and upfront about his injury to Gibbs letting gibbs know exactly how his leg feels, and not lieing just to keep his job and get the start. On top of that Novack is not consistant enough, and whenever he goes out to kick a field goal I don't think he will make it if its over 25 yards. Who knows he could come around, Derrick Frost punted pretty bad last year, and now he looks like one of the best punters in the league. Novack has the rest of this year to prove himself as a kicker, if he screws up royalry he will loose his job on the spot. And if Novack can't come through by the end of the year, and we cant get a Akers/Longwell in the Free Agents, I have no doubt in my mind John Hall will be kicking for us. And I have no problem with JH as long as he stays healthy which he has not. Anyways I am not comfortable entering the playoffs without a decent kicker, just way too easy to get eliminated from that 1 player.

If we're talking about the future, I hope we have something better in mind then Novak and Hall who's been injured again for the 30th time.

I don't think anyone considers Vinatieri is the best kicker in the NFL, atleast I don't.
Alotta people consider Vinatieri the best kicker in nfl history. :yes:

To me, power means nothing if he doesn't have accuracy or consistency. I don't want to have to groan every time I see him trot onto the field for a figgy. Yeah, he won the game Sunday, but he barely got it through. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Mr. Novak.

Novak is not the long term answer, he'll be gone at the end of the year if not before the end of the season, as he should be.

I agree. For all of the flack that Hall has gotten from members of this board, it is amazing that a kicker who is not even in the same league with Hall is getting so much credit and confidence. When Hall is healthy, is he one of the top 5 kickers in the league. Unfortunately, Spurrier allowed JH to take a beating and he hasn't been able to fully recover. Novak, on the other hand, is healthy and can't make the kicks that most kickers in the league can. He is VERY shaky.

Way to justify your entire argument with one example.

Just because David Akers turned out to be great dosen't mean everytime you get rid of a struggling kicker he is going to turn around and become and all pro.

All you Hall haters use to talk about how you had no confidence in him hitting a game winner and you were always nervous when he kicked.

Hall was consistant, if it was 42 yards and in he was money, Novak is damn 2-5 on the season, he missed 2 kicks indoors at Indy, hell one was a 35 yarder.

He missed the 1st attempt to win the game vs Dallas and the game winner was anything but a sure thing.

Thrilled he kicked the game winner but 99 times out of a 100 you don't get a second chance to kick a game winner in the same game.

I have no confidence in Novak, there is no kick on the field he isn't capable of missing, he's not a sure thing from anywhere on the field.

Kicking a 50 yarder every once in a while dosen't make up for the fact that he misses 35 yarders.

As competitive as the NFL is week in and week out you better have a kicker that is atleast consistant on the gimme FGs.

Novak is who we are stuck with but I hope it is an area we address in the off season. Kickers are a position it is a good idea to go out and find in free agency, they have nothing to learn, they just need to be able to kick.

Nick Lowery and Tony Zendejas went on to have successful careers after flopping here.

How many games has Novak played? 7? I don't think any NFL player should be written off after such a short period of time. He was 7 of 9 last year and he is only 2 of 5 this year. Lets see how he kicks for us the rest of the way before we annoint him the solution or label him as ineffective.

Novak makes me nervous..I have zero confidence in him...maybe thats b/c I'm not very familiar w/him or his kicking history(is there such a thing?..lol)

when he missed a 35 ydr..i was stunned...to be in this league and miss a 35 ydr?...I am grateful he made the game winner against the girls...but i had no confidence in him...i didn't think he was gonna make it...I don't like that feeling...but I'm willing to let him try and redeem himself and see how he does the rest of the season...Can't we just find a consistent kicker that when he comes on the field everybody in the house knows its a sure 3?..How hard is that?...must be very difficult...anyhoo...if he can develop into that kind of kicker...then good..right now I have no confidence in him

:point2sky :eaglesuck

I agree. For all of the flack that Hall has gotten from members of this board, it is amazing that a kicker who is not even in the same league with Hall is getting so much credit and confidence. When Hall is healthy, is he one of the top 5 kickers in the league. Unfortunately, Spurrier allowed JH to take a beating and he hasn't been able to fully recover. Novak, on the other hand, is healthy and can't make the kicks that most kickers in the league can. He is VERY shaky.

Man people blame EVERYTHING on Spurrier! :laugh:

I think Novak has potential. I wouldn't mind keeping him back there for awhile. However, he is only 2-5 on the year so he definitely has to improve his game. The more time passes with this team, the more I start to appreciate continuity within our franchise. Keep him and develop him, he's only 25 and could potentially be a mainstay for years if he continues to develop well.

I'd rather keep Novak as our number one kicker for a good while.

I don't want to see Hall back here anymore. Too injury prone.

I agree. I think the game winner vs. Dallas will do a TON to improve his confidence. I agree that Novak will eventually become a very solid kicker in this league. If that happens, I hope he dosn't turn into David Akers and become a stud after we let him go. :(

Novak makes me nervous..I have zero confidence in him...maybe thats b/c I'm not very familiar w/him or his kicking history(is there such a thing?..lol)

when he missed a 35 ydr..i was stunned...to be in this league and miss a 35 ydr?...I am grateful he made the game winner against the girls...but i had no confidence in him...i didn't think he was gonna make it...I don't like that feeling...but I'm willing to let him try and redeem himself and see how he does the rest of the season...Can't we just find a consistent kicker that when he comes on the field everybody in the house knows its a sure 3?..How hard is that?...must be very difficult...anyhoo...if he can develop into that kind of kicker...then good..right now I have no confidence in him

:point2sky :eaglesuck

Count me in the "jury is still out" club, but to defend him on the 35 yarder... didn't vanderjackoff - arguably the most reliable kicker in the game - miss a 30-something yarder this year? At least Novak has the excuse of age/experience. Also he has a strong leg... if he can improve his kickoffs than great, I was tired of Hall kicking the ball to the 15 every time.

:2cents:

Hall is done. We will not resign him next season. He has made his last attempt as a Redskin.

Yea so true. He was a decent kicker, but I dont know what happend to him. I guess after his first injury he doesnt want to push hurting it or something, even though its probably healed. But I guarentee Novak, by next year, will be one of the Redskins best kickers.

Somebody please let me on the secret, do all you guys know Novak personally?

John Hall was 12-14 in 05, he made a very clutch kick vs Tampa Bay (53 yarder I believe) in the playoffs and yes missed a chip shot vs the Seahawks.

In 06 he was 9-11.

For 2 years all i've heard is ****ing about John Hall and he is 21 for 25 in the regular season.

I was upset when Hall missed the 47 yarder that would have tied the Vikings, not beat which somebody wrongly said earlier in a reply, but it happens.

And golden boy Novak missed the game winning FG, he got lucky to get second chance, I bet Hall would have loved a second chance at the Vikings.

Hall going down with an injury hurt this team because he is a far better kicker than Novak is.

Everyone is pointing to him being young and devloping, well thats a scary thought knowing how close most of our games are and knowing we can't afford to lose anymore really, we have a kicker that is "developing".

I'm amazed by the slack he is given on this site, I guess its because he's from Maryland, he dosen't get bashed at all for being 2 of 5 yet Hall was was bashed for being 21 or 25.

Yea so true. He was a decent kicker, but I dont know what happend to him. I guess after his first injury he doesnt want to push hurting it or something, even though its probably healed. But I guarentee Novak, by next year, will be one of the Redskins best kickers.

You guarentee Novak, by nexy year, will be one of the Redskins best kickers??

What does that mean?

In the history of the Redskins? or just on the team?

Being that you only usually carry 1 place kicker on the team i'd hope he was best kicker on the Redskins if he was on the team :laugh: It would be kinda sad if some back up line backer was a better kicker. :doh:

Well Novak is neither, he isn't automatic in the clutch and he's not amazingly accurate.

Don't forget he missed the FG to win it first, he gave Dallas the chance to beat us.

The game winner, come on, nobody thought that was going it.

And I know someone is going to bring up the 40 yarder he kicked against Seattle last year to win it. 40 yards is short, many many kickers would have made that kick.

Right now Novak isn't very good but we are stuck with him, we all agree that he has to get better, atleast thats what I'm guessing sense everyone is talking about him developing.

Kickers his age are still working through some nuances. Hell, there was an article describing how he had to remind himself to follow-through!

Keep in mind, you're criticizing him for missing two 49-yard FGs (one of which hit the upright) and a 35-yarder (in my book he's 2/3 on makeable FGs and 0/2 on VERY difficult ones).

I think we might as well stick it out and see what he becomes. He's got the physical skills to be a good kicker. He nailed a 47-yard FG to win what might be the biggest game of our season AFTER having to think about his miss 30 seconds earlier...that's clutch.

I've noticed some improvement in Novak just from his stay here last year...

dcoles11, I think what most people are saying is that he has great potential and deserves a chance to develop it. Yes he has missed a few kicks, one of which (the 35 yarder in Indy) he should have easily made, but he proved himself at the college level, so he should be given a chance to do the same in the pros.

I've always liked Hall, but I think he is done - maybe for good - and the thought of developing a young kicker that we could depend on for year sounds pretty good to me. Is it a guarantee that he will succeed? Of course not, but I like the fact that the Skins are giving it a shot instead of going after more old veterans. Same with the punter Frost who has struggled at times, but lately seems to really be stepping up.

Archived