Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Novak has a great leg

idk2

Kickers don't develop, you can either kick or you cant.

He is always going to be hit or miss. I was shocked when he wasn't released after missing 2 FGs, one very short, indoors vs Indy.

He will never be consistant enough to keep a job long term, appreciate the kick to beat the Boys but he will not be a long term Redskin.

Remember a guy named DAVID AKERS who was with the Skins early in his career and was released because "he couldn't get the job done"?

Yeah how did his career turn out again before he got hurt?

Yup, he was a pretty damn good kicker and he OBVIOUSLY "developed over time".

We didn't give him much of a shot, that was a mistake. Novak has been here a while, he's a 50-60% kicker, that ain't going to cut it.

Yea and now Novak hasn't been given much of a shot either. I remember last year when he couldn't get his kicks more than 2 feet off the ground, now he seems to have rectified that problem. I say we let him develop for a year or two, let him get comfortable and see what he can do.

Remember a guy named DAVID AKERS who was with the Skins early in his career and was released because "he couldn't get the job done"?

Yeah how did his career turn out again before he got hurt?

Yup, he was a pretty damn good kicker and he OBVIOUSLY "developed over time".

Way to justify your entire argument with one example.

Just because David Akers turned out to be great dosen't mean everytime you get rid of a struggling kicker he is going to turn around and become and all pro.

All you Hall haters use to talk about how you had no confidence in him hitting a game winner and you were always nervous when he kicked.

Hall was consistant, if it was 42 yards and in he was money, Novak is damn 2-5 on the season, he missed 2 kicks indoors at Indy, hell one was a 35 yarder.

He missed the 1st attempt to win the game vs Dallas and the game winner was anything but a sure thing.

Thrilled he kicked the game winner but 99 times out of a 100 you don't get a second chance to kick a game winner in the same game.

I have no confidence in Novak, there is no kick on the field he isn't capable of missing, he's not a sure thing from anywhere on the field.

Kicking a 50 yarder every once in a while dosen't make up for the fact that he misses 35 yarders.

As competitive as the NFL is week in and week out you better have a kicker that is atleast consistant on the gimme FGs.

Novak is who we are stuck with but I hope it is an area we address in the off season. Kickers are a position it is a good idea to go out and find in free agency, they have nothing to learn, they just need to be able to kick.

He is always going to be hit or miss. I was shocked when he wasn't released after missing 2 FGs, one very short, indoors vs Indy.

He will never be consistant enough to keep a job long term, appreciate the kick to beat the Boys but he will not be a long term Redskin.

Some (most) kickers are in the league a couple years before they're beast. Some (most) kickers need a confidence boost before they get that in that niche. Accuracy, of course, could help Novak. Maybe also, he could work on his core like Nate Kaeding from SD. That dude can kick bombs on FG and has intense kickoffs. I think Novak will be good. Hope so anyways.

Go Skins and :eaglesuck

Some (most) kickers are in the league a couple years before they're beast. Some (most) kickers need a confidence boost before they get that in that niche. Accuracy, of course, could help Novak. Maybe also, he could work on his core like Nate Kaeding from SD. That dude can kick bombs on FG and has intense kickoffs. I think Novak will be good. Hope so anyways.

Go Skins and :eaglesuck

Thats all well and good but do you really want a guy that is still developing as your kicker when you are trying to win games??

This is why kickers are cut so fast and why sometimes it comes back to burn you, like David Akers did to us.

The NFL is very balanced, anyone can beat anyone for the most part, FGs are important.

This isn't minor league baseball where you can develop players first with winning not really being the emphasis.

If Novak keeps kicking at the pace he is he'll be what 4 for 10?

I'm guessing you are not a terp fan. Terp fans here will remember how Novak's college career began. He was absolutely abysmall when he began. It got to a point where Coach Fridge held open try-outs to find Novak's replacement. Nick just barely beat out the competition, then went on to hit virtually every field goal put in front of him. When he graduated he was a Lou Grohl (I believe that is the awards name) finalist.

His time at UMD proved that he can kick, once he lost the jitters he DEVELOPED into an outstanding kicker.

I'm guessing you are not a terp fan. Terp fans here will remember how Novak's college career began. He was absolutely abysmall when he began. It got to a point where Coach Fridge held open try-outs to find Novak's replacement. Nick just barely beat out the competition, then went on to hit virtually every field goal put in front of him. When he graduated he was a Lou Grohl (I believe that is the awards name) finalist.

His time at UMD proved that he can kick, once he lost the jitters he DEVELOPED into an outstanding kicker.

What that really tells me is he's streaky and or just plain inconsistant.

I love the Redskins and I have nothing against Novak personally so my opinion of him is just based on what I see.

He is 2-5 this season and his 2 makes were ugly. He missed 2 FG's indoors, 1 was from 35 yards.

That evidence tells me he's not good and we can find better at some point.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1666

This is why we should keep and develop Novak.

Also in his rookie year Adam Vinatieri missed a fieldgoal between 20-29 yards and 3 extra points. I think the Patriots are glad they didnt cut him. He's 84-101 all time from 30-39 yards. I dont think you cut a kicker because he missed a kick indoors that he probably should have made in what the 7th game he has ever started? 8th? Bah.

What that really tells me is he's streaky and or just plain inconsistant.

I love the Redskins and I have nothing against Novak personally so my opinion of him is just based on what I see.

He is 2-5 this season and his 2 makes were ugly. He missed 2 FG's indoors, 1 was from 35 yards.

That evidence tells me he's not good and we can find better at some point.

I am reading it differently, I see it as Novak has not yet begun. His early career struggles were solved on a dime in college. I expect Novak to simply click one of these games and turn back into the beast he was at UMD.

As a side note, the kid has kicked more clock expiring game winners for the Skins than Hall has.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1666

This is why we should keep and develop Novak.

Again that is one example, if you base every decision you make in life on one example you will not be well served.

I guarantee you the number of kickers that were cut that turned into great kickers for other teams is far less than the number of kickers that were cut and rightfully so because they never kicked successful again if at all.

The David Akers example is not a good one, you're the 5th person to use it and its not relevant. He's one guy.

I am reading it differently, I see it as Novak has not yet begun. His early career struggles were solved on a dime in college. I expect Novak to simply click one of these games and turn back into the beast he was at UMD.

As a side note, the kid has kicked more clock expiring game winners for the Skins than Hall has.

Hall was very consitant on making the gimme kicks, Novak can miss any kick anywhere at anytime, I hold my breath when he attempts an extra point.

And i'm not saying Hall was the best or the answer, but i'd rather have a "healthy" Hall than Novak.

I hope you're right, I hope Novak turns out to be great and a long time Redskin, but I bet you a round he won't be and probably won't even be the kicker next year. :cheers:

You quoted me too soon. Vinatieri missed 3 extra points and a kick under 29 yards his rookie year. He is 84/101 all time from 30-39. Cut Novak a break...this year is relaly part of his rookie year. You find me a kicker who was nailing every kick his rookie career.

I don't think anyone considers Vinatieri is the best kicker in the NFL, atleast I don't.

He is an incrediable clutch kicker but i've always noticed that he alittle bit inconsistant on kicks that come throughout the game.

But if the game is on the line he's the guy you want.

I think the realistic goal for you kicker is, he makes the all the easy kicks and gives you a chance on the long ones.

Novak isn't that. Maybe he will be, but I don't see it, he's very inconsitant and can be easily replaced.

I don't think anyone considers Vinatieri is the best kicker in the NFL, atleast I don't.

He is an incrediable clutch kicker but i've always noticed that he alittle bit inconsistant on kicks that come throughout the game.

But if the game is on the line he's the guy you want.

I think the realistic goal for you kicker is, he makes the all the easy kicks and gives you a chance on the long ones.

Novak isn't that. Maybe he will be, but I don't see it, he's very inconsitant and can be easily replaced.

Vinatieri also won two superbowls with his leg. I would take that any day. Any team would. Who cares if you have a Vanderjagt type kicker who had an amazingly high percentage kicking but blew it hard in every situation the Colts needed him for. He is statistically an amazing kicker, yet he is the reason the Steelers went to the superbowl last year isnt he?

didn't vinateri miss a chip shot at his old stomping grounds sunday night? nobody goes 100% in their career. plus he missed a 49 yarder!!! (with plenty of distance mind you) and made the 47 yarder. you novak haters or doubters crack me up, he beat the cowgirls for the second year in a row lets give this guy his props.:2cents: :dallasuck

I think Novak misses have been technique. He hasnt had the chance to be with a team for the off season. He has only been with us for a few weeks then we cut him for John Hall when he is healthy again. If he is coached up I think he can be a very good kicker. Even his 49 yarder he said he missed due to technique.

Vinatieri also won two superbowls with his leg. I would take that any day. Any team would. Who cares if you have a Vanderjagt type kicker who had an amazingly high percentage kicking but blew it hard in every situation the Colts needed him for. He is statistically an amazing kicker, yet he is the reason the Steelers went to the superbowl last year isnt he?

Well Novak is neither, he isn't automatic in the clutch and he's not amazingly accurate.

Don't forget he missed the FG to win it first, he gave Dallas the chance to beat us.

The game winner, come on, nobody thought that was going it.

And I know someone is going to bring up the 40 yarder he kicked against Seattle last year to win it. 40 yards is short, many many kickers would have made that kick.

Right now Novak isn't very good but we are stuck with him, we all agree that he has to get better, atleast thats what I'm guessing sense everyone is talking about him developing.

And i'm not saying Hall was the best or the answer, but i'd rather have a "healthy" Hall than Novak.

I have no idea what a healthy Hall looks like. We haven't seen it in 4 years and even then he was just a 76% kicker (which I understand is significantly better than Novak's current 40% kicking).

Either way, I expect Novak to turn around and eventually lead this team, and I'll take a bet on the round.

didn't vinateri miss a chip shot at his old stomping grounds sunday night? nobody goes 100% in their career. plus he missed a 49 yarder!!! (with plenty of distance mind you) and made the 47 yarder. you novak haters or doubters crack me up, he beat the cowgirls for the second year in a row lets give this guy his props.:2cents: :dallasuck

He beat the Cowgirls 2 years in a row? So you're giving him credit for making 2 extra points in the 14-13 win in Dallas last season?

Wow dosen't take much to impress you ;)

Well Novak is neither, he isn't automatic in the clutch and he's not amazingly accurate.

Don't forget he missed the FG to win it first, he gave Dallas the chance to beat us.

The game winner, come on, nobody thought that was going it.

And I know someone is going to bring up the 40 yarder he kicked against Seattle last year to win it. 40 yards is short, many many kickers would have made that kick.

Right now Novak isn't very good but we are stuck with him, we all agree that he has to get better, atleast thats what I'm guessing sense everyone is talking about him developing.

So? I saw you talking up Hall earlier, John Hall is the reason we are 3-5, we should have beaten the Vikings, but he missed what was it a 47 yarder? The distance Novak, whether or not it was close made? And what about that Seahawks game last year with the big overtime kick to win it? Aside from 1 kick he has hit his other "clutch" attempts. I dont know why you have to find every possible reason to doubt the kid. He will get better and he will be here next year, and better. Did I mention he will get better?

Archived