Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I didn't write it here, but I was telling my guests before the fights that Browne would win by KO. The Reem has the double threat of no chin and no heart. When he's rocked, and oh boy does he get rocked easily, he always lays there like a grappling dummy. The Reem is done.

Shogun still has a chance, but he needs to drop to MW like his pal Machida ;). The dude never looks in shape, and yeah those knees are tender, but it looks like he barely works his upper body. He's gotta get in the weight room, do high reps, drop the extra flab and hit the sauna hard before fights. He's done at 205, but his career shouldn't be over.

I didn't write it here, but I was telling my guests before the fights that Browne would win by KO. The Reem has the double threat of no chin and no heart. When he's rocked, and oh boy does he get rocked easily, he always lays there like a grappling dummy. The Reem is done.

I told my boy after Browne survived that onslaught from Reem, he would win the fight. 

For all the exploits about Reem's striking, he showcased some pretty bad defense. That kick should not have been a surprise to Reem. Brown showcased that kick a few times to the body and a couple of time upstairs before the killshot landed. Reem never attempted any kind of lateral movement which would have put him at an angle to dodge the kick completely or at least deflect its power. His guard lowered as the fight progressed, you could see his elbows getting lower and lower by the minute, left him ill prepared to block the front kick to the face.

Edited by StillUnknown

I wonder what they do with Uriah Hall. Dana says he "is not a fighter" and is going to think about what he needs to do with him. 

I think Uriah needs to take a year off from competition, go to a sports psychologist, train with a great camp and build himself back fighting on the Facebook portion of the cards. It's one fight but it has seemed to work for Wonderboy Thompson so far.

If Uriah does get cut, if I am WSOF, I snatch him up and add him to my growing pool of middleweights. I'd put him on an Atlantic City card and have him fight a washed up legend like a Paulo FIlho to build his name back.

Overeem looks like every power striking style fighter when he's come to the end of his career. The hits that used to put fighters down suddenly don't and the chin suddenly can't take any direct shots. This is the second fight in a row where he's landed power shots only to have his opponent survive and knock him out later. Other types of fighters can keep it going longer, like GSP, but Reem isn't the type if fighter that's going to dominate a fight me the little to no damage for 5 rounds.

The Reem never has had a chin. He won K1 all roided up, with big gloves and a very tight guard. He faught grandpa Aerts in the final, a 1 armed Saki, and Tyrone Spong rocked him a little. Only time I've seen The Reem survive being rocked. If it were MMA gloves, Spong might have sneaked a few more through.

He was absolutely schooling Chuck Liddell, if he would have finished the job it would be one of the more dominant performances in Pride history. One overhand from Chuck and Alistair looked drunk. Granted, Chuck had serious power, but Reem has no survival mode. The Kharatonov fight is embarassing to watch. He ran away Tito/Wand style except he dove in to the ropes like he wanted to get out of the ring.

Shogun owned him, but that was just a murderous shot. He gets a pass there, Shogun was insane. But even Brock cut Overeem with a jab. I remember when that happened I thought Brock was going to KO him, which would have made Earth implode. If The Reem's chin and heart were as good as his knees, he'd be fighting Cain next.

At this point, he's got to have so much doubt in his chin that he can't function correctly in fights. I wonder how much he gets rocked while sparring, it has to happen alot.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

Brock was a broken man by the time he and Overeem fought.  Brock probably had no business fighting anymore after all the medical issues he had, one big knee to his med-section was all it took.

'Reem just has ZERO figher IQ.  Second straight fight he is pummeling his opponent but wastes his gas tank on shots that are being semi-blocked, instead of slowing the pace and looking for more effective shots.  Then on top of that he continued to just walk straight forward into front kicks.  Every single kick was connecting too, it just took a little while for one to connect just right.  'Reem has this attitude about him where he thinks he can just smother his opponent and overhwlem them, but anytime he takes on an opponent who can weather the storm, he gasses out and becomes a walking target.

Urijah Faber needs to fight like this in his next title fight. Dude looked like an animal again and has mauled his last few opponents.  When he lot to Barao I thought it might be curtains for him but he looks to be going back to his bread & butter, grappling/submission instead of falling into the "I strung together a few KO wins so now I am going to be a stand up fighter" trap, so many fighters fall into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Kampmann had a good 1st round using his wrestling. 

Condit did a much better job defending the takedowns after the first round and the standup game was really no contest. Once Condit found his range on the feet, he pretty much beat the hell out of Kampmann until he stopped him in the 4th.

Great performance from Kampmann, but I can't see him beating GSP or Hendricks until he fixes that wrestling problem.

Edited by StillUnknown

You gotta feel bad for Kampmann.  He is probably the best 170 lb'er not to get a title shot yet, and by the looks of things he won't anytime soon.

The guy gets robbed 2 decisions in a row- Sheilds & Sanchez- the Sheilds fight was a title eliminator fight- he gets things going again, only to get caught by Hendricks and then revenge-d by Condit-who is no freakin slouch.

I hope they pay him a ton of cash because I don't think he will see a championship bout payday, but he sure deserves it, one heck of a fighter.

• Like 1

164 picks:

Pettis over Benson by Unanimous Decision: Been getting a strong feeling that Pettis will win this one. Their first fight was razor close, with each man shining over 5 rounds. I think Benson has improved more than Pettis since their fight though. The key is whether Pettis' wrestling has improved enough since getting blanketed by Guida to keep Benson from putting him on his back. If it stays on the feet, I'm not sure how Benson can win that fight. Pettis sometimes is patient to a fault while standing so maybe Benson can win on activity, but Pettis is pretty damn accurate and Benson has been dropped from strikes in the past. Close fight, but I think Pettis edges it out once again.

Barnett over Mir by (T)KO, 3rd round: I think Mir will be pretty dangerous in the first round, but if Barnett survives, I think his gas tank will allow him to grind Mir down. Wouldn't be completely shocked Barnett initiates some takedowns against Mir. Mir is better on the ground, but Barnett knows how to stay out of trouble.

Mendes over Guida by submission: Mendes is better than Clay at wrestling, which is Clay's only halfway decent attack. Should be an easy fight for Mendes.

Vera over Rothwell by unanimous decision: I think Vera uses his speed to stay on the outside and pick Rothwell apart from range. If he allows himself to be clenched, he probably deserves what he gets.

Edited by StillUnknown

Bendo Decision

Mir TKO 2nd Rd

Mendez TKO 3rd Rd

Rothwell TKO 1st Rd

Rothwell is too strong, early in the fight it's like fighting a bear, and Vera is little for HW. If Guida fights this time, Mendez should be able to rock him. Mir is always a tough pick, as he loves to get punched in the face, but he is a great finisher as well. And if Bendo avoids getting tagged to death, he should motor to a victory.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Not sure what Barnett has left in tank for the upper-eschelon of HW's but there was a time when Barnett v. Fedor was looked at as the biggest super fight possible in the world.

Barnett is no joke he has legitimate skills and is a killer in there.

Yeah, it's really easy after the fact for Mir to hop up after Barnett was pulled off, but the replay clearly shows he goes limp, turtles up and was getting read to be smashed.