Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

For some reason, BJ Penn is coming out of retirement and will coach the next season of TUF against Frankie Edgar. They will fight at 145lbs.

Can't think of a single soul who is really asking for Edgar/Penn III

Prepare for the promo onslaught of "BJ is fired up" or "BJ is motivated again"

Edited by StillUnknown

For some reason, BJ Penn is coming out of retirement and will coach the next season of TUF against Frankie Edgar. They will fight at 145lbs.

Can't think of a single soul who is really asking for Edgar/Penn III

Prepare for the promo onslaught of "BJ is fired up" or "BJ is motivated again"

Yeah, this perplexed me when I first heard it. Apparently Dana wanted it to be Faber-Edgar, but Faber did not want to move up and Edgar did not want to move down.

Yeah, this perplexed me when I first heard it. Apparently Dana wanted it to be Faber-Edgar, but Faber did not want to move up and Edgar did not want to move down.

I read about that. Good news is that we get Faber vs. Mayday in Dec, maybe on the same card as Pettis/Grant. That would be a great main/co-main event

If I was Dana I'd be extremely leery about setting up a high profile fight for Penn in a lower division than 155.  Penn must have pulled a rabbit out of a hat convincing Dana he would make weight and be in shape for that fight.

For Penn, the fact that he is gets to do TUF leading up to the fight makes it a bigger money fight for him, but at this stage in his career, sure avenging the two losses would be nice, but I'd be worried that he is simply doing this to take the money and run.

Hey guys, I've always enjoyed watching random fights, including big ones.  I recently decided I wanted to start following it closer as I really enjoy it.  I started watching Ultimate Fighter last night, which was awesome. 

I gues I wanted to know how fights are scheduled, when are they and everything I wanted to know about MMA, the UFC, and more.

Thanks ahead of time!

The big cards are the monthly PPV cards. Once in awhile there are two a month.

The next biggest are the UFC on FOX cards. Usually feature PPV-worthy fights, in fact I would say those fights are just as big as PPV main events in some aspects, they are just less frequent, once every few months.

Then you have the Fight Night cards which are now on Fox Sports 1 network. Every couple of months.

If you are into watching MMA, my recommendation would try to get a hold of the early(ier) days, UFC 1, start from there to see the evolution of the sport, then get a hold of shows from the now defunct promotion PRIDE which at one time probably had a better roster than UFC, defintately in the higher weight classes.  From there you can get a hold of some of the more obscure promotions if you are still yearning from more.

Hey guys, I've always enjoyed watching random fights, including big ones.  I recently decided I wanted to start following it closer as I really enjoy it.  I started watching Ultimate Fighter last night, which was awesome. 

I gues I wanted to know how fights are scheduled, when are they and everything I wanted to know about MMA, the UFC, and more.

Thanks ahead of time!

Good advice from NoCalMike above.  The way I caught up to speed was by researching the most legendary fighters' fight records on Wikipedia.  Go through their wins and losses and click on other fighters that they lost to, rematched, or whatever.  You'll notice reoccuring names and start recognizing crazy matchups that happened.  Youtube the fights that stand out to you.

I recommend researching Fedor Emelianenko to anyone who is serious about being a fan.  You must know him.  Roughly half of MMA fans believe he is the greatest fighter of all time.  Anderson Silva makes a good case against it, but nonetheless, Fedor was unbelievable.  He was a pudgy, expressionless, gracious Russian dude, who turned in to an absolute savage in the cage.  He went 32-1 until he hit the proverbial "wall", and that 1 loss is well known to be unwarrented.  In a fight where elbows were illegal, his opponent cut him with an elbow, but the ref didn't see it and the cut was bad enough to stop the fight.  He obliterated the guy in the rematch.  Fedor Emelianenko Wikipedia .  He essentially went 32-0, in one of the most dangerous divisions of all time, Heavyweight in the 2000s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHp2h7Ox65I

Other fighters to research right off the bat are Royce Gracie, Kazushi Sakuraba and Wanderlei Silva.  Sakuraba crosses both their paths quite a bit.  Wanderlei is extremely entertaining, have fun researching his fights.  :lol:   Wanderlei Silva Wikipedia

The first guy I mentioned though, Royce Gracie, he started it all.  UFC 1, skinny kid, going up against big, burly strikers, and his jiu jitsu is so unknown and so good that he chokes the crap out of people.  It proved that ground fighting was a science in itself.  Revolutionlized the concept of fighting.  This is before UFC 1:

• Like 1

Lol! Ric Gracie!

So any of you guys picking Gus? I see Jones finishing him. He'll hit a trip and find an arm triangle or something. Think he should win the standup battle too. He's so crafty, even his basic punches are thrown with great timing. He's not super fast, not a knockout artist, it's more his fight IQ that overwhelms his opponents. His kicking game is also high-output and very diverse. Time to see if it works on a guy with the same reach.

Gus is too green and got this title shot due to a LHW division consisting mostly of either over the hill veterens or guys who may never end up elite.  He was simply the next guy in line for UFC to give the uber-sell job on and convince folks he has a shot.

I might miss this card as I will be driving back home from Halloween Horror Nights.(Los Angeles to Sacramento) on Saturday.  I think I will be home in time though, just not absolutely sure.

Gus is too green and got this title shot due to a LHW division consisting mostly of either over the hill veterens or guys who may never end up elite. He was simply the next guy in line for UFC to give the uber-sell job on and convince folks he has a shot.

I think Gus is pretty legit, he's been a considerable prospect for a while. Whereas Sonnen, Belfort and Rampage were the 'selljobs' who were at the right place at the right time. Gus actually put together a streak. His height, reach and style are also intriguing to see Jones deal with. People have wanted to see this particular fight before Jones moves to HW.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Has a UFC fighter ever scored a KO, from off his back ?

Don't remember it happening in the UFC. It pretty much always happens by upkick, but even upkick KOs are very rare. Gegard Mousasi knocked out Jacare Souza a few years back with an upkick, but it wasn't in the UFC. Today, they're both top ranked UFC fighters.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

165 picks:

Bones over Gustafsson by (T)KO: Gus has the obligatory puncher's chance, but I think Bones has him beat in all areas including striking. I think Bones has success on the feet, then transitions to takedown somewhere in round 2 and unleashes that hellish ground n pound for the victory.

Barao over Wineland by Submission: Wineland has one shot power, but Barao has him in every area. As long as Barao avoids the bomb, he wins easily.

Mitrione over Schaub by (T)KO: Schaub has one of the weaker chins in the HW division, Mitrione has one of the lowest fight IQ's in the HW division. I'm guessing Schaub's chin cracks before Mitrione's mind.

Don't remember it happening in the UFC. It pretty much always happens by upkick, but even upkick KOs are very rare. Gegard Mousasi knocked out Jacare Souza a few years back with an upkick, but it wasn't in the UFC. Today, they're both top ranked UFC fighters.

Though it's not in the UFC, this one happened from a single punch, in bottom guard......happens at about 2:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRoTZXOgmgA

Edited by Mickalino