Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

It's always the fights you don't expect to be great in the UFC that turn out to be fantastic.  I thought Jones would run through Gustafsson just like he has everyone else.  I was wrong, beautifully wonderfully wrong. 

Judges got the decision wrong.  Gustafsson won that fight but it was a close thing and the champ is going to get the benefit of the doubt.  They over valued kicks over punches IMO. 

Gus just got jobbed. Typical MMA judges ignoring 4:30 of a round when the other fighter hits a flurry in the last :30.

I would usually agree, but that Gus was clearly hurt bad by that flurry

One of the greatest fights I've ever seen in MMA.

Edited by StillUnknown

Gus just got jobbed. Typical MMA judges ignoring 4:30 of a round when the other fighter hits a flurry in the last :30.

I think they valued the handful of Jones head kicks and elbows over the far more numerous punches that Gustafsson landed.  Gustafsson definitely out struck the champ and I don't think it was close.  He ate a ton of punches and through most of 4 rounds didn't land much of anything out side of leg kicks. 

Bones Jones needs help to leave the ring... dang. 

Edited by Destino

Is pretty sad that they refuse to take belts away from fighters that sell unless they get KOd and are forced. Bones lost, no doubt about it. After seeing this the only way he loses is when moves up and Cain KOs him. They won't let him lose his belt any other way. UFC is starting to lose steam with me.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Texeria gets the next title shot. If Gus and Jones fight again, its going to be interesting because they both improve tremendously quick. 

Yep, Teixiera gets next shot, but I have a strong suspicion that we will see this fight again. One way or another.

A. Gus won over a lot of new fans tonight, including me, but still glad Jones won (Huge Jones Fan). Gus definitely won on points though if we're all honest. Jones on big shots, but big shots w/o KO's don't count as much in MMA as they do in boxing. Surprised by the outcome.... 

Honestly, I am too. Not that I thought Gus got robbed, but when I heard the scores, and that it was unanimous, I figured it was Gus' belt. Especially with the 49-46. I can't see any way Bones gets a 49-46. I can see Gus getting 49-46, but no way Bones gets that unless the judge has been drinking as much as I have.

Lovetoaster-

They did the same thing to Frankie Edgar when he fought Bendo. They wanted Edgar to move down and even though he clearly beat Bendo, fight want even close, the gave it to Henderson. I've loved this sport for a very long time and I do not want it to go the route of boxing. The wrong guy went home with the belt tonight, something needs to be fixed or this sport will fall apart. Fans will only put up with so much.

Yeah the only way a 49-46 could have been seen, IMO, is for Gustafson.  I have no idea how you could think Bones won 4 rounds.

And yes, I understand that a series of Bones's strikes hurt Gus, but that should not erase the entire production from Gus in that round when he clearly outstruck Jones for 90% of the round.  

The fight I saw, saw one guy dictating most of what was going on in there. The other guy was frustrated almost from the get-go and started throwing a lot of desperate/wild/winging shots hoping something would connect at the right moment to instantly end the fight.  

Gustafson was exhausted by the end, but that shouldn't mean he loses the fight. This was his first ever fight that has gone the distance. Hard to prepare for something you've never experienced.  It's not like Bones wasn't tired by the end either.

Total strikes Landed: 191-120, Gus.

Glover loses to either of these guys, he is way too slow and his chin is questionable. He was really close to being KO's himself in his last fight.

Edited by NoCalMike