Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Yep, the worlds really been clamoring to see Roy Jones Jr fight Rampage Jackson in any capacity.

There are just so many questions. Rampage probably weights about 40 pounds more than Roy Jones, Jr. They are saying there have been discussions about whether it will be boxing or MMA. I don't want to see Rampage box, and I don't want to see Roy poorly attempt MMA. They are just trying to thwart Anderson's attempt at fighting Jones by jumping in front of him. That's fine, because I thought it was a stupid idea for Silva. I think it is even dumber by Rampage. 

Even if one of these guys does beat Roy Jones, what exactly would that prove? Roy has not been relevant in quite some time.

This is just as dumb as Couture vs. Toney.  If you are going to put on a crossover matchup it has to be one where there is reason for people to believe each guy can succeed in the other one's sport.

DREAM on their new year's eve shows at least would do  Kickboxer vs. MMA guy and do 1 round MMA rules, 1 round Kickboxing rules.  It made sense, but then again it was treated as sport and not a sideshow.

I thoroughly enjoyed Couture vs. Toney. :paranoid:. As predictable as the outcome was, I celebrated like the Skins scored a touchdown in the Superbowl. It marked the end of the boxing vs MMA debate. Randy proved a point us fans had been trying to make for so long.

of course the counter point to that is Tim Sylvia vs. Ron Mercer 

I thoroughly enjoyed Couture vs. Toney. :paranoid:. As predictable as the outcome was, I celebrated like the Skins scored a touchdown in the Superbowl. It marked the end of the boxing vs MMA debate. Randy proved a point us fans had been trying to make for so long.

That was the peak of the debate, we all wanted to go hide in a hole after that...but after Randy dominated Toney, it was clear boxing was not the end-all be-all of fighting. We all know Stay Puft Tim Sylvia was perhaps the worst sample MMA could offer at that point. Even so, he was a former UFC champ, and a ton of boxing fans stayed on that "our fighting style is better" wagon until Couture/Toney.

I'm actually excited. It does say its a boxing match, I don't see Rampage winning that. If it was a MMA I wouldn't be interested. I'm curious to see the skill gap between a MMA fighter and a boxer in boxing. Will it be as grande as some boxing fans make it out to be?

Couture vs Toney was pathetic as hell. Toney didn't even train and it took Couture forever to submit him. I don't think it made either sport look good. Also, the fact that abomination was on paper view just makes it worse.

I'm actually excited. It does say its a boxing match, I don't see Rampage winning that. If it was a MMA I wouldn't be interested. I'm curious to see the skill gap between a MMA fighter and a boxer in boxing. Will it be as grande as some boxing fans make it out to be?

Couture vs Toney was pathetic as hell. Toney didn't even train and it took Couture forever to submit him. I don't think it made either sport look good. Also, the fact that abomination was on paper view just makes it worse.

Roy Jones currently qualifies as a boxer only in the sense that commissions keep allowing him to fight for some reason.

Exactly. Now go get ANY MMA fighter against a top notch boxer in a boxing ring and see what happens. There's not an MMA fighter on the planet that could take out one of the Klitscho's in a boxing ring.

Exactly. Now go get ANY MMA fighter against a top notch boxer in a boxing ring and see what happens. There's not an MMA fighter on the planet that could take out one of the Klitscho's in a boxing ring.

And vise-versa. That should be obvious to everyone. Cain Velasquez would bludgeon the Klitchkos in MMA, and he'd get crushed by them in boxing. Two combat sports, totally different rules.

Couture v. Toney was just an example of James Toney talking his way into an easy pay day for both parties involved.

Toney would get squashed in short time, Couture barely had to break a sweat, and Zuffa reaped the rewards of two fan bases who thought it was a serious contest of two equals.

Toney was out of shape and over the hill and obviously didn't take the fight seriously, and even Couture was past his prime.

I love watching combat-sports as a whole but there's a reason the debate and bickering back and forth between fan bases exclusive to each side are dumb.

'Rampage' Jackson vs. Roy Jones Jr. boxing bout targeted for year-end PPV

Viacom is expected to announce plans to go head-to-head with pay-per-view juggernaut Zuffa LLC and its UFC 168 offering at next week's Bellator 97 event on Spike TV.

An unveiling of Bellator fighter Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's plans with the promotion will likely include a pay-per-view boxing match with former multi-division boxing champ Roy Jones Jr., multiple sources close to the event today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/07/quinton-jackson-vs-roy-jones-jr-boxing-bout-targeted-for-year-end-ppv

Yuck. I was not excited for a potential Anderson Silva-Roy Jones fight. I am sure not going to be excited for Rampage-Jones.

And they are going to try and go against Silva-Weidman II with this? I feel like this is a bad idea on many levels.

Yeah, this makes less sense the more I think about it, did Viacom step out of the room and let the NHL front office guys run things for a day?  I saw something like this posted on Bloody Elbow, I skipped it thinking it was a general run down of topics covered in a video chat, like Rampage COMMA Roy Jones Junior COMMA fighter pay etc etc, but jokes on me apparently.

NO ONE, has ever said they want to see Rampage box RJJ, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone wanting to see Rampage box at all.

and then to go up against what will probably be the biggest UFC PPV show of the year with 2 championship fights?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this be Bellator's first PPV event as well? And they are partnered with Viacom, a pretty big TV distribution company.  All those things make the decision to do this go from silly, to stupid, to crazy and finally to purple elephant musicpants.  I mean, there is NO way they put that PPV on at the exact same time as 168 right? like maybe 1hr before, ore 1hr later, but like I said, has anythng about this "boxing match" made sense so far?

Heck, I'd offer the first person to post that they would rather watch the Rampage RJJ fight vs Silva Weidman II fight live, tickets & hotel for 1 night for wherever they are going to hold that "boxing match" if I didn't think a few on here would take me up on the offer just to get a free trip. 

But seriouslly, find as many people as you can who say they would rather watch Rampage box than Silva Weidman II, I really want to see 1) if they exist 2) if I can find these people the help they truely need, and if I'm being honest 3) I really want to see what these weirdo's look like....woudln't be surprised if one of those nuts has a tattoo of Rampage as B.A. from the A Team, I mean you'd pretty much have to, right? 

Edited by artmonkforHOF

It's your classic  

Guy A: Reach advantage, will do nothing but jab

vs.

Guy B: Reach disadvantage, will do nothing but load up on a counter and lunge with it, hoping to land one time in 3 rounds

If you take a fight where you are at a reach dis-advantage but aren't willing to eat a jab or two in order to work your way in, you deserve to lose a boring 3 round decision.

Rory's the type or protege that you can see never being able to recover if he gets viciously KO'd one time.

Rory is in "protect my brand" mode.  Dude knows he is over-hyped because of who he is associated with, so he needs to not lose more than he needs to win at this point.

@JoshGrossESPN the winner of the MacDonald/Ellenberger fight is Robbie Lawler

Pretty much.