Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Fedor retired on a 3 win fight streak? If memory serves correctly? Fedor lost his will too. It's actually amazing Silva at 38 still has the physical capability to fight world class fighters.

Rizzo, Satoshi Ishii, & Jeff Monson. That was a victory lap.

Fedor died on an H-Bomb

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Shaun Al-Shatti

‏@shaunalshatti

Dana White says all the superfights are off the table. Says that fight cost Silva, Jones and GSP a ton of money.

I guess Bones vs. Cain will be the next superfight to be ruined before it happens.

That's why everyone screaming fix should pipe down. It does not make sense. A lot of money was lost tonight for the UFC and a few fighters. No fix here, tin foil hat folks.

Fedor retired on a win.

over Pedro Rizzo, not sure that really counts

Fight game is cruel, seems like nobody is allowed to go out on top

Fedor

Liddel

Couture (got Karate Kid'ed into retirement)

Big Nog :(

Anderson

When you think about it, its kinda remarkable this hadn't happened before tonight. Clowning while fighting a man with 4oz gloves should have led to disaster well before tonight.

The thing that bugs me is that unlike those other guys, Anderson took himself out of that fight. He could have retired last night and rode off into the sunset with integrity. At least those other fighters fought to their demise. Silva clowned himself to his own. Ridiculous behavior.

The reason I didn't think it was remarkable that Silva didn't lose while clowning earlier is because he was disrespecting one-dimensional fighters. A guy like Weidman is to complete to get away with relying on a weakness to pose and prance around. Chris does not seem to have one, except maybe speed. However it was enough speed to swing at a 38 year old, uninspired champion.

Thats the killer, he did do it to himself. More to the point, I'm still not certain we know who the better fighter is at the moment. Weidman is the smarter fighter for sure, but better, I can't honestly say. That disturbs me.

Me too. Unless Silva has hit the "Fedor" wall as far as reaction time and explosiveness, he would win a rematch IMHO. He was truly not motivated tonight. I was disturbed by his antics between rounds. The whole thing wreaked of a man tired of the game.

Still not trying to diminish Weidman's "beyond his years" instincts though. That kid fears no man.

Shaun Al-Shatti

‏@shaunalshatti

Dana White says all the superfights are off the table. Says that fight cost Silva, Jones and GSP a ton of money.

I guess Bones vs. Cain will be the next superfight to be ruined before it happens.

What money? Silva and Jones both said they will never fight each other and GSP has already said he won't fight Silva. Dana talking out of his ass again I see....

Fedor retired on a 3 win fight streak? If memory serves correctly? Fedor lost his will too. It's actually amazing Silva at 38 still has the physical capability to fight world class fighters.

Fedor died on an H-Bomb

Shudd up that fight still hurts

:(

Wouldn't mind a rematch if Fedor actually wanted to keep fighting.

Shaun Al-Shatti

‏@shaunalshatti

What money? Silva and Jones both said they will never fight each other and GSP has already said he won't fight Silva. Dana talking out of his ass again I see....

Silva & Jones have changed their tunes on not fighting each other the last 6 months or so, I think it would have happened with a Anderson win & Bones win over Gus

Dana's going to be literally begging Silva to take that rematch

Guaranteed 1mil+ buys on ppv

Fedor died on an H-Bomb

Shudd up that fight still hurts

:(

Wouldn't mind a rematch if Fedor actually wanted to keep fighting.

I think my most painful MMA moment was Big Nog looking at his broken arm after the Mir fight. :(

Fedor retired on a win.

over Pedro Rizzo, not sure that really counts

>

Fight game is cruel, seems like nobody is allowed to go out on top

Fedor

Liddel

Couture (got Karate Kid'ed into retirement)

Big Nog :(

Anderson

When you think about it, its kinda remarkable this hadn't happened before tonight. Clowning while fighting a man with 4oz gloves should have led to disaster well before tonight.

The thing that bugs me is that unlike those other guys, Anderson took himself out of that fight. He could have retired last night and rode off into the sunset with integrity. At least those other fighters fought to their demise. Silva clowned himself to his own. Ridiculous behavior.

The reason I didn't think it was remarkable that Silva didn't lose while clowning earlier is because he was disrespecting one-dimensional fighters. A guy like Weidman is to complete to get away with relying on a weakness to pose and prance around. Chris does not seem to have one, except maybe speed. However it was enough speed to swing at a 38 year old, uninspired champion.

Thats the killer, he did do it to himself. More to the point, I'm still not certain we know who the better fighter is at the moment. Weidman is the smarter fighter for sure, but better, I can't honestly say. That disturbs me.

Me too. Unless Silva has hit the "Fedor" wall as far as reaction time and explosiveness, he would win a rematch IMHO. He was truly not motivated tonight. I was disturbed by his antics between rounds. The whole thing wreaked of a man tired of the game.

Still not trying to diminish Weidman's "beyond his years" instincts though. That kid fears no man.

Well hopefully this will bring back the wrecking machine Silva. This is not Maia, Weidman can strike. He knows that now. Theatrics are great to make a fun fight, but you have to win the fight. Silva tried to get in Weidmans head and it did not happen. Huge props, kid.

I don't want to hear that BS from Dana. They coulda made those superfights already but opted for Sonnen and Bonnar. The UFC was just waiting for one of em to lose so they could blame the fighter. The window of opportunity was there, they just wanted to milk the perennial stars and not sabotage one of their champs by having them lose in devastating fashion to one another. They didn't want GSP defending the belt, coming of a 1st rd KO against Anderson, for example.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Shaun Al-Shatti

‏@shaunalshatti

I don't believe that for a second. I don't think GSP-Silva would have happened, but Silva-Jones would have happened eventually, IMO. There were a lot of moving goalposts on that one. But not now, for the foreseeable future.

I don't want to hear that BS from Dana. They coulda made those superfights already but opted for Sonnen and Bonnar. The UFC was just waiting for one of em to lose so they could blame the fighter. The window of opportunity was there, they just wanted to milk the perennial stars and not sabotage one of their champs by having them lose in devastating fashion to another. They didn't want GSP defending the belt, coming of a 1st rd KO to Anderson, for example.

I agree the window was there, but I don't think GSP wanted that fight for a few reasons. I think Silva-Jones was the most likely to happen though.

I always feel bad for the guys at the podium that will never be asked a question. Like Tim Kennedy. He could be out enjoying his win with an adult beverage.

Regardless of how I felt Anderson Silva acted in this fight, I don't take anything away from Weidman. His job is to win the fight, any way possible and that is what he did.

As far as Weidman winning the fight up that point?  No way.

Weidman scored an early takedown, but like Sonnen, was not landing clean punches much at all, in fact Silva was landing punches and elbows from the bottom, then he got back to his feet and finished off the last few minutes of the round landing leg kicks and punches on Weidman's face at will. He had already started the clowning but it was at least mixed in with landing clean punches on Weidman. Weidman already was tired enough that he was not even holding his own hands up and was leaving himself open for shots. Silva had Weidman rocked a little bit towards the end and when he closed in to follow up the bell rang.

Then he came out in Round 2, landed a few punches and then started the clowning and moving backwards with his hands down and it was over.

Weidman did his job, Silva treated the fight like he was a rodeo clown trying to distract a bull.

Hell, not sure if you have the FUEL Post Show on but Dana just about admitted Silva could have KO'd Weidman in Rnd 1 if he was taking it seriously.  Must be pre-taped because he is under a more damage control mode at the press conference.

No way I can be inside Silva's head but it is almost like he has dealt with fighters saying how they are going to beat him for so long, that if they don't come out and do something in the fight right away he gets bored and uninterested.  It finally hurt him enough to matter.

My point is, once Silva got back to his feet, he was hitting Weidman at will when he wanted to.He was making Weidman miss and using his speed to counter.  By the end of the first round he had Weidman retreating on his feet and was closing in on him against the cage when the bell rang.  He also had Weidman tired out as his next takedown attempt was defended pretty solidly.

I don't think the UFC wanted Silva vs Jones, ever. Business wise, you're risking your young poster boy getting poster-ized by an aging middleweight. That hypothetical KO, would be damning towards selling Jones as an untouchable force, much less the future GOAT. On the flip side, Anderson was invincible up to last night. Jones burying elbows in to his skull woulda made Anderson's fights a little less hypnotic.

Point is, that fight was too risky, business wise. Maybe a million-buy PPV, but at the cost of a perennial champion getting destroyed.

Mike- I definitely am not disputing that Anderson would have beaten Weidman had he taken the situation seriously but I still think we saw two different fights.

Weidman took Silva down, reversed him, and clubbed his face and head. I remember a shot early in their scramble that made me say, "I think Silva's already been hurt" at the time. I think Silva started clowning because his lack of spark resulted in a lack of composure. 

I think Silva vs. Bones won't happen because it only makes sense IMO for it to be Silva's final fight, and by then Bones will likely be fighting as a HW because I think Bones is only staying at LHW to break Tito's record for most wins at that weight which I think is 1-2 more wins.

To me, Silva vs. GSP is the super fight still on the table if they both want it.  

They are both from the same era, and have a much better chance at finding a catchweight they can agree on.  Will the fight ever happen?  Probably not for a multitude of reasons, but I still see that as the more likely fight.

I view GSP & Silva as peers in the MMA world, where Jones is more the next potential unbeatable phenomenon. 

During the PPV didn't they say there was supposed to be a huge GSP announcement?  The press conference just ended and I didn't hear one, unless the announcement of the location of the Hendricks fight was it?

Silva and Bones doesn't make sense unles the UFC is sure Bones is going to win.  It doesn't help them for Silva to leave on a stunning KO of the UFC's best fighter.  If Silva was expected to stick around for a few years sure... but not now.  Remember a big reason for never moving up in weight class is that he didn't want to take on his boys.  Bones has taken his boys out.  Maybe Silva fancies himself the big billy goat Gruff.

Edited by Destino

lots of folks screaming "fix" on twitter

if this was boxing, the cries would probably be louder

I'm wouldn't call it a fix, but Silva fought and sounded like a man who did not care if he were to lose.

I am already tired of the fixed garbage. If it were a quick stoppage, or a questionable decision, I might be able to understand it. Anderson got knocked cold. That is not a fixed fight.

Yeah, that was no fix unless Anderson agreed to take a punch on the chin and have his eyes rolled back into his head. He clowned and got caught, reminded me of Overeem taunting Bigfoot. I think Anderson would have KO'd Weidman had he been remotely serious. And we'll either see him come back focused like GSP after the Serra TKO or this is the end of the road for him. I have a hard time thinking this is the end of the road for Anderson though, considering his skill level and the fact that he's taken so little punishment in his career. 

It just goes to show you it doesn't matter how tough or skilled you are, a human brain can only absorb so much. It's what drives me crazy about guys with an angry, tough-guy, douchebag persona. Wake up idiot, you're not invincible.

One thing we all knew in the back of our minds was that Anderson had a great chin. Yes, he's great at rolling with punches, but he's let people hit him and has never been truly hurt outright. Last night he doesn't see a punch coming, and his switch is turned off.

This is a valuable lesson to everyone, and it's been everywhere lately. Mark Hunt gets sprawled out on the canvas, Overeem gets crumpled up, Cain got KOd in under a minute, Pacqiao got decked. A blow to the brain is just science. Even as great as Floyd Mayweather is, if he ever makes a big mistake he'll get dropped. I think GSP is at greater risk than the average fan thinks. Hendrick's game might not be pretty, but it gets the job done. Condit is just tough as all hell.

Well Dana wants the rematch. If it happens I fully expect a scenario close to Rahman vs. Lewis II. If Anderson fights the way we've all become accustomed too Weidman stands very little chance, it Silva plays around again he's going to get dropped for a second time.