Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

End of an era gentlemen. Silva has been invincible outside of getting subbed a million years ago. Sonnen knocked him on his ass a few times, but never did Anderson look dazed.

He just got dropped and finished soundly with ground and pound. The aura is gone. Was a treat to watch him the past few years. While it's bittersweet for MMA, the middleweight division is now wide open. Congrats Weidman, what a dream he's living.

End of an era gentlemen. Silva has been invincible outside of getting subbed a million years ago. Sonnen knocked him on his ass a few times, but never did Anderson look dazed.

He just got dropped and finished soundly with ground and pound. The aura is gone. Was a treat to watch him the past few years. While it's bittersweet for MMA, the middleweight division is now wide open. Congrats Weidman, what a dream he's living.

I don't think MW is that wide open, outside of Vitor landing a kill shot, Weidman will be tough to beat. MW is really thin right now.

The problem with a result like this is no one is going to even take Weidman's win seriously.  Other then the early takedown, which led to mostly nothing damage-wise(not to mention landing good shots from his back), Weidman was getting his face get bashed in at will by Silva, and Silva even had Weidman in danger in the final couple minutes of round 1, then he decides to clown and clown and clown some more, and gets caught out of pure stupidity.

Silva just said he doesn't even want a rematch, that Weidman is the champ now, let him be the champ, lad-eee-da.

Even in defeat Silva seems to be treating this exactly the way most people watching are treating it, like Silva acting stupid against an inferior fighter and he just finally got caught for doing it.

If Silva changes his mind and does decide to take the rematch, there is no reason for me to believe he doesn't slaughter Weidman, unless he dials up the clowning even more.
modify_inline.gif

Folks, this is the same Weidman that barely beat a 1-armed Munoz in their fight.  This hype train is now going to grow to epic proportions due to Silva acting like a clown.

Silva just got stupid and finally paid the price for it.  If they ever decide to have a rematch and Silva eliminated the clowning, it's over.

Folks should feel cheated by Silva.  He is the GOAT but just cheated his fans in the arena and fight fans around the world out of showcasing the reason he is the best.  He lost because he was acting like he didn't care, and then in the post-fight, seemed to re-iterate he cared even less.

lots of folks screaming "fix" on twitter

if this was boxing, the cries would probably be louder

I'm wouldn't call it a fix, but Silva fought and sounded like a man who did not care if he were to lose.

Edited by StillUnknown

Folks, this is the same Weidman that barely beat a 1-armed Munoz in their fight.  This hype train is now going to grow to epic proportions due to Silva acting like a clown.

Silva just got stupid and finally paid the price for it.  If they ever decide to have a rematch and Silva eliminated the clowning, it's over.

Folks should feel cheated by Silva.  He is the GOAT but just cheated his fans in the arena and fight fans around the world out of showcasing the reason he is the best.  He lost because he was acting like he didn't care, and then in the post-fight, seemed to re-iterate he cared even less.

Ding ding.

Silva has always struck me as a "different" dude. Who knows what the **** goes on in his head?

LOL.

Nothing fixed about that fight. Silva basically got what he's been good enough/lucky enough to dodge for the last 7-8 years

I know I don't post here much. I kinda fell out of MMA but for a while, I was a huge watcher 

Weidman/Munoz was not remotely close, Weidman beat the living **** out of him and finished with a spectacular KO

Weidman was getting his face bashed in, this loss is on Silva clowning around to an absurd level.

I don't know what fight you were watching. Chris won the 1st by a mile and was not at all hurt in the 2nd. Silva may have thrown this fight but he was getting beat regardless.

I don't think MW is that wide open, outside of Vitor landing a kill shot, Weidman will be tough to beat. MW is really thin right now.

Hell, I think freakin' Okami would give Weidman a tough fight. I'm not ready to start settling in on Weidman. He accomplished something unprecedented tonight, but there will be plenty of interesting matchups moving forward. Anderson might just win his belt back and keep it for a few more years again. That would be the least-surprising scenario. I can see some dudes pulling out a decision, maybe knocking his block off. Maybe he does stay champ for a while, but this isn't Secretariat in the Belmont.

Hell, I think freakin' Okami would give Weidman a tough fight. I'm not ready to start settling in on Weidman. He accomplished something unprecedented tonight, but there will be plenty of interesting matchups moving forward. Anderson might just win his belt back and keep it for a few more years again. That would be the least-surprising scenario. I can see some dudes pulling out a decision, maybe knocking his block off. Maybe he does stay champ for a while, but this isn't Secretariat in the Belmont.

Absolutely agree. He's got to defend now and despite this victory he does not have the same mystique that Silva had.. or even still has. That was not a competitive Anderson Silva tonight.

But wow- Chris Weidman was on point tonight and has showed domination at MW so far.

Fight game is cruel, seems like nobody is allowed to go out on top

Fedor

Liddel

Couture (got Karate Kid'ed into retirement)

Big Nog :(

Anderson

When you think about it, its kinda remarkable this hadn't happened before tonight. Clowning while fighting a man with 4oz gloves should have led to disaster well before tonight.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

Weidman did a backfist before landing the left hook. Perhaps Anderson thought it was the left hook in the first place, not thinking another left was on its way. Also looked like he ran out of room to lean back. He was 100% limbo there.

Overeem and Silva need to take a self defense course.

I'm wouldn't call it a fix, but Silva fought and sounded like a man who did not care if he were to lose.

I am already tired of the fixed garbage. If it were a quick stoppage, or a questionable decision, I might be able to understand it. Anderson got knocked cold. That is not a fixed fight.

Edited by lovetoaster
  • Like 1

Fedor

Liddel

Anderson

When you think about it, its kinda remarkable this hadn't happened before tonight. Clowning while fighting a man with 4oz gloves should have led to disaster well before tonight.

The thing that bugs me is that unlike those other guys, Anderson took himself out of that fight. He could have retired last night and rode off into the sunset with integrity. At least those other fighters fought to their demise. Silva clowned himself to his own. Ridiculous behavior.

The reason I didn't think it was remarkable that Silva didn't lose while clowning earlier is because he was disrespecting one-dimensional fighters. A guy like Weidman is too complete to get away with relying on a weakness to pose and prance around. Chris does not seem to have one, except maybe speed. However it was enough speed to swing at a 38 year old, uninspired champion.

Edited by Chachie

As a long time spider fan he got what he deserved tonight. He's absolutely the better fighter but you don't toy around with world-class fighters to that degree. He went overboard with it and really didn't seem to care about winning the fight as evidenced by his sudden retirement which I actually called before the fight. Weidman better enjoy it because Vitor is going to destroy him. He's a whole different animal on TRT.

Fedor retired on a win.

over Pedro Rizzo, not sure that really counts

Fedor

Liddel

Anderson

The thing that bugs me is that unlike those other guys, Anderson took himself out of that fight. He could have retired last night and rode off into the sunset with integrity. At least those other fighters fought to their demise. Silva clowned himself to his own. Ridiculous behavior.

The reason I didn't think it was remarkable that Silva didn't lose while clowning earlier is because he was disrespecting one-dimensional fighters. A guy like Weidman is to complete to get away with relying on a weakness to pose and prance around. Chris does not seem to have one, except maybe speed. However it was enough speed to swing at a 38 year old, uninspired champion.

Thats the killer, he did do it to himself. More to the point, I'm still not certain we know who the better fighter is at the moment. Weidman is the smarter fighter for sure, but better, I can't honestly say. That disturbs me.