Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

UFC Undisputed is good, it's great to have a UFC game out.

But I have a few gripes. Actually, three huge ones. First of all, why they chose THQ to make their games baffles me. They aren't exactly the premier game developer out there. They are notorious for shortchanging details, and have never really made anything great.

It's like having a huge MMA prospect and making him train at The Lion's Den.

Second are the flash KOs. I'd love to know the reasoning behind these. Is it because they thought it'd make the game more exciting? You can land plenty of clean shots to fighters coming in or moving towards a clean headkick and they're perfectly fine. All of a sudden, mostly in the first round, a flash KO occurs. Mouthpiece a-flyin', same punch you've landed 16 times in the fight. Just this time, they decide that your opponent dies.

The effects of strikes are extremely limited. I've done running leg kicks that look like something out of Pat Barry's handbook about 20 times in a fight. All of a sudden my opponent is throwing spinning back kicks and twirling around from missing a head kick. These guy's have Mark Hunt's old jaw in their thighs.

Third are the seemingly impossible submissions. Anybody pulled a sub on the computer yet? I haven't. My sub offense and grapple offense should make me like Demian Maia on Nate Quarry. I press the buttons so fast that I feel like I'm playing "Test Your Might" from Mortal Kombat 1. But not only do I fail and get thrown off, I get controlled from the side and usually mounted. I hear it's easier to sub people online, which is good, cuz the computer is Sakuraba on the ground.

This game has a long way to go. I'm glad that they've at least got a control scheme that seems like it could work for future installments.

My Xbox Live is down for the moment, it'll be up soon, my ID is: PrivatePyle3092

I disagree about THQ. The Wrestling series of games they put out on N64 were fantastic. In fact, I wish they would incorporate some of the things they used in that series for Undisputed. They need each fighter to have a certain set of moves instead of certain styles having certain moves. Tim Sylvia not having head licks and BJ Penn with no flying knees is inexcusable. No reason they can't individualize those moves. I am confident THQ will improve this game every year.

Another thing THQ did really well with the wrestling series is what you are complaining about with the leg kicks. Working on a specific body part in those games made a huge difference in how your wrestler moved and how vunerable he was to moves that affected the weakened part of the body. As Bret Hart I use to only do moves that would attack the leg. Soon they would be limping around and then I would hit them with the Sharpshooter for the tap. I really wish the same applied in Undisputed. Hopefully they will fix that.

As has been said, the stamina bar means everything for subs.

Flash KOs: to avoid them you have to avoid the ranges they come from. Whenever you are in close banging away you are putting yourself in position get knocked out. Whenever you are in range for a superman or a big looping right and you have your hands down, you might get knocked out. I agree that the system needs work, but I am happier with it now than I was when I first started.

To get off the ground and do sweeps you have to be constantly throwing those street fighter fireballs with the right stick. Also, when your stamina is weak take a couple seconds to just hold on by holding back on the right stick and let your stamina build back up before trying anything or getting subbed.

UFC 98 Picks

Drew McFreidries vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam: technique versus power, i'm guessing technique will win this one in the 2nd round

Foupa-Pokam by TKO, 2nd Round

Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen: Sonnen is about as one dimensional as they come, Miller is pretty good at Sonnen's one dimension. Sonnen striking is basic at best, Miller's is better. If Sonnen takes it to the ground, he's shown in the past he has a habit of getting sub'd, Miller's BJJ is definitely good enough to sub him.

Miller by Submission, 2nd Round

Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar: big fan of Edgar mainly because he should be fighting at FW in the WEC but instead chooses to fight naturally bigger guys. Edgar barely cuts any weight to make 155, Sherk is as big as they come for 155. Edgar is a good all around fighter, but Sherk is better in virtually every aspect of the game. Sherk, while lacking power, has some pretty good technique with his hands. Sherk takes him down and lays on him for the better part of 3 rounds

Sherk by Unanimous Decision

Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra: no secret what Hughes wants to do, not much of a chance of Serra stopping him from taking him down. this comes down to if Serra can inflict any damage before he's taken down and once down, can he use his Renzo Gracie Black Belt to his advantage. if it stays standing Hughes will be in some trouble, i'm guessing Serra will catch lightning in a bottle and finish Hughes in the 2nd round

Serra by TKO, 2nd Round

Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida: two counter-strikers meeting in a 5rd title fight could turn out to be boring or it could turn out to be one of the better technical matches in the UFC. i'm praying for the latter. fight basically comes down to if Rashad & Greg Jackson can crack Machida's code. we know Rashad can and probably will be hit. his chin has proven solid in the past so he won't mind taking a shot if it means he can land his trademark powershot on Machida's chin. i think Rashad will land a power shot or two, but we will see that Machida has a strong chin himself as he outworks Rashad to a decision

Machida by Unanimous Decision

I disagree about THQ. The Wrestling series of games they put out on N64 were fantastic. In fact, I wish they would incorporate some of the things they used in that series for Undisputed. They need each fighter to have a certain set of moves instead of certain styles having certain moves. Tim Sylvia not having head licks and BJ Penn with no flying knees is inexcusable. No reason they can't individualize those moves. I am confident THQ will improve this game every year.

Another thing THQ did really well with the wrestling series is what you are complaining about with the leg kicks. Working on a specific body part in those games made a huge difference in how your wrestler moved and how vunerable he was to moves that affected the weakened part of the body. As Bret Hart I use to only do moves that would attack the leg. Soon they would be limping around and then I would hit them with the Sharpshooter for the tap. I really wish the same applied in Undisputed. Hopefully they will fix that.

As has been said, the stamina bar means everything for subs.

Flash KOs: to avoid them you have to avoid the ranges they come from. Whenever you are in close banging away you are putting yourself in position get knocked out. Whenever you are in range for a superman or a big looping right and you have your hands down, you might get knocked out. I agree that the system needs work, but I am happier with it now than I was when I first started.

To get off the ground and do sweeps you have to be constantly throwing those street fighter fireballs with the right stick. Also, when your stamina is weak take a couple seconds to just hold on by holding back on the right stick and let your stamina build back up before trying anything or getting subbed.

With the 90 million wrestling games they put out, they were bound to finally get it right. I'd say THQ has done well on about 10% of the games they've ever made. Let's just say they aren't EA or Blizzard Entertainment. In fact, they aren't even remotely close.

You're basically telling me that the flash KOs happen when you are able to get hit. Well, thanks for clearing that one up. I thought you get KOd when Bruce Buffer does his 180 introduction ;). I honestly think it needs more work than praise. In all reality, it has a mind of its own. You can get smashed with your hands down 30 times with haymakers and head kicks and the one that looks like it hits mostly-shoulder will knock your mouthpiece across the canvas. It's based on randomization rather than timing and hit detection.

I hate to sound like I'm bashing the game, but it may not have much lasting appeal as far as career mode goes.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

**** that was it. Well if Rashad pulls out the W, we'll get to bet on it or we could do Machida/Rampage if you want.

Who do you have between Wanderlei and Rich Franklin?

ill take either.

no way on the machida/rashad fight though!! i want machida but i aint betting it.

I'd be shocked if Wand beats Franklin. At this point, I think the game is passing Wand by. The thai clinch is obviously a problem for Rich, but Wandy has all but given up on it. I hate to say that he's just about at novelty status, with a good puncher's chance. I don't see flailing hooks being the answer for Rich Franklin. Hope I'm wrong.

Who do you have between Wanderlei and Rich Franklin?

I think Ace will beat Wandy. Rich has still looked awesome in all his fights since Spider. Okami gave him some trouble but that's Okami's game. Franklin is still good.

I'd be shocked if Wand beats Franklin. At this point, I think the game is passing Wand by. The thai clinch is obviously a problem for Rich, but Wandy has all but given up on it. I hate to say that he's just about at novelty status, with a good puncher's chance. I don't see flailing hooks being the answer for Rich Franklin. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree but he was tagging Rampage as well as catching them I think. he just got caught by a good one and went out. and how he destroyed Jardine makes me think he still has a little something in the tank.

but then again I rode the Iceman ship all the way in to the beach. :(

I agree but he was tagging Rampage as well as catching them I think. he just got caught by a good one and went out. and how he destroyed Jardine makes me think he still has a little something in the tank.

but then again I rode the Iceman ship all the way in to the beach. :(

Yeah, don't get me wrong, he still packs a wallop...I just think he looks bored with being methodical and wants to throw down with the hands like a boss. Gotta love him, it's hard to argue he's the most entertaining fighter in the history of the sport.

The problem with coming into the ring/cage/octagon being purely a striker is, no matter how hard you hit, no matter how vicious you can land a punch, once you start to age, there is gonna be someone who can hit just as hard as you, but is younger and faster.

Chuck Liddell had a very good run in Pride & UFC, but the problem is, he never adapted his game to the up & coming fighters. He decided he would always be able to get by with the same gameplan.

Wandy is one of the most vicious fighters ever, but he has been through so many wars, that he might be turning into one of those fighters where every fight you have to flip a coin whether he will land first, or his opponent will, and if it's his opponent, he is going nighty-night.

The problem with the UFC right now is it seems a lot of guys are forgetting the "Mixed" part of Mixed Martial Arts. It is becoming a company where the crowds would rather watch a bunch of sloppy-bar room brawl 3rd-rate striking, then guys actually come in with an all around game of wrestling/BJJ/JUDO/Grappling etc etc.....

I remember on one PPV, I was at the bar, and the loudest cheers of the night went to an undercard fight merely cause it was too scrubs throwing wild haymakers for three rounds, as if that kind of club-level wannabe boxing takes any skill at all, where-as a guy that is black belt in BJJ taking on a gold medal wrestler, would probably get booed out of the building because there isn't enough punching.

Very true NoCal.

This is why so many people hate Machida. They don't like his technical counterpunch style cause it's not "exciting" enough. The first time I watched him he faked about 6 punches before actually throwing one and the first thing that came to me was "it's gotta be hard as hell to tell when he's actually going to throw a punch at you"

I've said it before, the booing of fighters because they do not come in and throw wild punches is my biggest pet peeve about this sport. If people really want to watch mindless fighting instead of actual martial arts, then they should go back to watching WWE.

As far as tonight show goes, I'll be rooting for Machida, but I think Evans is one of the few fighters fast enough to KO him, so I couldn't say who's gonna win.

The problem with coming into the ring/cage/octagon being purely a striker is, no matter how hard you hit, no matter how vicious you can land a punch, once you start to age, there is gonna be someone who can hit just as hard as you, but is younger and faster.

Chuck Liddell had a very good run in Pride & UFC, but the problem is, he never adapted his game to the up & coming fighters. He decided he would always be able to get by with the same gameplan.

Wandy is one of the most vicious fighters ever, but he has been through so many wars, that he might be turning into one of those fighters where every fight you have to flip a coin whether he will land first, or his opponent will, and if it's his opponent, he is going nighty-night.

Except Wandy is 8 years younger than Chuck, only one year older than Rampage, and two years younger than his next opponent, Rich Franklin. I am not counting him out just yet. The thing about Wanderlie is that he knows what the crowd likes about him, and he loves to give it to him. That is probably his biggest flaw. But he trains like crazy and has great BJJ so he has a lot of victories left in this sport. He can knock anyone out on any night, and vice versa.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, he still packs a wallop...I just think he looks bored with being methodical and wants to throw down with the hands like a boss. Gotta love him, it's hard to argue he's the most entertaining fighter in the history of the sport.

Yeah but Wanderlei was always just kind of a wild striker. I think he looked more technical and methodical in his prime days in Pride because of some of the ****ty competition.

Wanderlei's thing is he just wants to go in and put on a show. He's either going to get KTFO or do it to his opponent.

I'm starting to wonder about him myself though. Losing to Rampage/Chuck/Cro Cop and Dan Henderson isn't really anything to be upset about but if he's still got it he should've been able to pull out at least one or two of those fights and he didn't really look like he won any battles in any of those bouts.

Fedor vs. Barnett on August 1st

:lift::lift::lift:

My question is, if Fedor beats Barnett decisively then who's next for him? Outside of the UFC, all I really see is maybe a bout with Alistair Overeem.

If Fedor stomps Barnett, I say Dana White needs to stop messing around and get him in the UFC. There are exciting bouts with Randy, Brock, Frank Mir and others if they can draw him in.

If not, he'll be one of the best, if not the best fighter ever and he'll have done it all without fighting in the UFC.