Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I agree I think this match is much more interesting.

There is a lot more on the line. At this point in Herring's career, he is a gatekeeper. This was going to be a big fight for Velasquez to see if he could move up to that next level. Which I think he would have.

But now he is facing a guy that is trying to get to that next level as well. And Kongo is probably a little bit further along.

That June 6th Strikeforce card is stacked! Can't wait to see it.

MAIN CARD

Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Shields

Andrei Arlovski vs. Brett Rogers

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

PRELIMINARY CARD

Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante vs. Jared Hamman

Josh Bumgarner vs. Jesse Finney

Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods

Lucas Lopes vs. Scott Ventimiglia

Pat Benson vs. Dave Cochran

Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

The only thing I worry about is if Strikeforce can keep up this caliber of show. I mean this is great.

I know they do not plan on having shows with the same frequency of the UFC, but they do not have a terribly deep roster yet, so they can not afford to put all of their eggs in one basket too often.

I think it is cards like these that are going to encourage UFC to step up their game as well, and I think you can see it with the cards that are being planned for the remainder of the year.

What are you guys talking about here? What was the MSNBC piece?

Bowsk-

It was a documentary in which I played Manson in all the "flasback" scenes. It re-aired a couple times over last weekend. 2 hour special about the Manson family and the Helter Skelter trials. I do a lot of production work for "America's Most Wanted" as my 9-5 job and am an actor in my spare time. I lucked into a sweet role and it's become my "15 minutes of fame."

The 15 minutes passed but Mike has become my one "fan" and I'm grateful that he dug it. Hope you get to check it out some time. If I get some free time soon, I'll burn you a copy. PM me your mailing address if you are interested. If not, I totally understand. It's really not like I was in a major motion picture or anything. :)

Bowsk-

It was a documentary in which I played Manson in all the "flasback" scenes. It re-aired a couple times over last weekend. 2 hour special about the Manson family and the Helter Skelter trials. I do a lot of production work for "America's Most Wanted" as my 9-5 job and am an actor in my spare time. I lucked into a sweet role and it's become my "15 minutes of fame."

The 15 minutes passed but Mike has become my one "fan" and I'm grateful that he dug it. Hope you get to check it out some time. If I get some free time soon, I'll burn you a copy. PM me your mailing address if you are interested. If not, I totally understand. It's really not like I was in a major motion picture or anything. :)

That's awesome. I'll look for it and send you my address.

Undisputed peeps, I'll be on for the next few hrs. Come get your beatdown.

Grrr....I just found out last night that I will be losing HDNet at the end of the month. No more DREAM, no more K-1, no more Bas and Kenny. :mad:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/05/18/time-warner-dropping-hdnet-would-be-huge-blow-to-mma-fans/

Like the article says, Time Warner has threatened to drop them before, but this time it is a little different. My best friend works at Time Warner and he said that it does not look good at all.

Which ES members have you beaten so far and who have you been using as your fighter?

I awarded myself the vacant title to try and drum up some competition in a drunken stupor last night. I haven't beaten any ESers yet. I am owning peeps online though. My only other online experience was thinking I was really good at Fifa and then getting smoked online so this feels pretty good.

UFC Undisputed is good, it's great to have a UFC game out.

But I have a few gripes. Actually, three huge ones. First of all, why they chose THQ to make their games baffles me. They aren't exactly the premier game developer out there. They are notorious for shortchanging details, and have never really made anything great.

It's like having a huge MMA prospect and making him train at The Lion's Den.

Second are the flash KOs. I'd love to know the reasoning behind these. Is it because they thought it'd make the game more exciting? You can land plenty of clean shots to fighters coming in or moving towards a clean headkick and they're perfectly fine. All of a sudden, mostly in the first round, a flash KO occurs. Mouthpiece a-flyin', same punch you've landed 16 times in the fight. Just this time, they decide that your opponent dies.

The effects of strikes are extremely limited. I've done running leg kicks that look like something out of Pat Barry's handbook about 20 times in a fight. All of a sudden my opponent is throwing spinning back kicks and twirling around from missing a head kick. These guy's have Mark Hunt's old jaw in their thighs.

Third are the seemingly impossible submissions. Anybody pulled a sub on the computer yet? I haven't. My sub offense and grapple offense should make me like Demian Maia on Nate Quarry. I press the buttons so fast that I feel like I'm playing "Test Your Might" from Mortal Kombat 1. But not only do I fail and get thrown off, I get controlled from the side and usually mounted. I hear it's easier to sub people online, which is good, cuz the computer is Sakuraba on the ground.

This game has a long way to go. I'm glad that they've at least got a control scheme that seems like it could work for future installments.

My Xbox Live is down for the moment, it'll be up soon, my ID is: PrivatePyle3092

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I awarded myself the vacant title to try and drum up some competition in a drunken stupor last night.

In true ES style. :)

Edit: UFC 98 Weigh-ins today!!!! Predictions on the way, I assume.

Edited by Chachie

Third are the seemingly impossible submissions. Anybody pulled a sub on the computer yet? I haven't. My sub offense and grapple offense should make me like Demian Maia on Nate Quarry. I press the buttons so fast that I feel like I'm playing "Test Your Might" from Mortal Kombat 1. But not only do I fail and get thrown off, I get controlled from the side and usually mounted. I hear it's easier to sub people online, which is good, cuz the computer is Sakuraba on the ground.

the subs frustrated me as well, but i'm starting to get the hang of it

the only way i can get it is to the turn the stamina bar on, focus on body shots to deplete the opponents stamina quickest(knees from clinch are really effective). wait until your opponents stamina is close to completely empty (it should be red and close to running out). Apply the sub and and either mash the face buttons or rotate the stick (mashing the buttons works better for me)

i created a lightweight character and pulled off a flying armbar on Tyson Griffin after i punished his body with knees

on another note: http://sherdog.com/news/articles/1/pros-picks-evans-vs-machida-17569

Pros that picked Evans: 10

Pros that picked Machida: 11

Pros that could not decide: 7

Edited by StillUnknown

UFC 98 Quick Picks:

Rashad:

Not that I doubt Machida, he could easily win but I mentioned a page or two back about my trust in the Jackson camp (minus Jardine).

Hughes:

People talk about how he's fallen off, sucks now, etc. But the string of recent losses have been to GSP (one of the best P4P in the world) and a Thiago Alves that missed weight and is a top 5 WW in the world himself.

I'll say it: Serra's win over GSP was a fluke. I don't hate Serra and I don't hate Hughes, both come off as ********s in real life but Hughes is the better fighter no doubt about it so I see him taking this one and maybe a few more fights and calling it quits.

Sonnen:

He gets a decision here.

Sherk:

He's looked good against a tough-ass Tyson Griffin. Coming back from a year out of the ring to fight BJ Penn was not a wise move, even dumber was trying to stand and box with Penn when he had a realistic shot at winning a decision with his wrestling and BJ's suspect cardio. Sherk will be back in the title mix by the end of the year.

Larson:

Will beat up Chris Wilson and sub him, count it.

Gusmao:

Soszynski is bigger and more experienced than Gusmao but he lost to Reese Andy lol and seems to falter in big fights (not that this is on of them). Gusmao was on a sweet rookie tear that was stopped by Jon Jones...but Jones is one of the best newbies in the biz.

Kaplan/Roop:

Kaplan had better win or I will never tell another person that I took a Muay Thai class with him lol.

the subs frustrated me as well, but i'm starting to get the hang of it

the only way i can get it is to the turn the stamina bar on, focus on body shots to deplete the opponents stamina quickest(knees from clinch are really effective). wait until your opponents stamina is close to completely empty (it should be red and close to running out). Apply the sub and and either mash the face buttons or rotate the stick (mashing the buttons works better for me)

i created a lightweight character and pulled off a flying armbar on Tyson Griffin after i punished his body with knees

on another note: http://sherdog.com/news/articles/1/pros-picks-evans-vs-machida-17569

Pros that picked Evans: 10

Pros that picked Machida: 11

Pros that could not decide: 7

Good call on turning on the stamina bars. Didn't forget about it as much as I didn't want to use it. So body kicks do the trick? Definitely will try that. I'm bad at locking in clinches. Usually they just shrug me off right away. Any tips? I'm pretty good at timing takedowns, but get swept like a dirty kitchen floor, like I said. Even the tutorial was vague on how to time defending sweeps. If I remember correctly it said that you basically have to time their offensive moves and offset them. Ugh. I really don't want to go through that boring ass tutorial again.

UFC 98: Undisputedly Drinking My Piss, predictions:

Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar: Great fight to start the night off. Me thinks Sherk's feelings were hurt by Florian's "I Finish Fights!" statement. Which, by the way, plays all the time in the background of the new video game. He tried swinging with Penn, even though it ended with a knee in his grill. And to his credit, albeit winning another decision, he swung it out with a great striker in Tyson Griffin. Edgar is another guy that likes to survive the entire fight. He's got good hands and can wrassle. I think you'll see some clean shots and fantastic chins, along with another decision. Unanimous, Sherk.

Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen: I think Chael Sonnen is a sacrificial lamb in this one. He's the bigger name because of winning the WEC title from Paulo "Xanax" Filho, but he's slow and has seemed to have lost any finishing ability he once had. I think Miller is swooping in under the radar and should make a big statement in this one. Miller, Anaconda, Round 2.

Drew McFedries vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam: McFedries is a one trick pony. It could surprise Xavier, even if he knows it's coming. He has the technical prowess to tame McFedries and chop him down after the initial onslaught. Land some leg kicks and go to the body. Just stay out of the wheelhouse. Xavier will hurt him, get him to the ground and finish him. Foupa-Pokam, GNP, end of round 1.

Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra: I'm one of the few that likes both of these guys. A personality clash at it's finest. The smack-talker vs. the vainglorious legend. But I'm also in agreement with the large majority of fans that think Hughes is just about done. Sure, he's fought some elite competition as of late. But the way he's been brutally finished has to have taken its toll on his confidence. I think he goes in to this fight dreaming about a vintage finish more than thinking about execution. Serra's right hand always has fight-ending potential. And this camp had to be at least 50% dedicated to sweeps and defending from the bottom. No matter what happens, the real gamble is betting on if these guys hug and make up at the end. Serra, Split Decision, and they hug.

Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida: Lyoto is a great fighter to watch. Win or lose I think he will still tear people to pieces in the future. Watching his previous fights against Bonner and Franklin will make you shake your head in amazement. However, Rashad is a much different kind of monster. He can take punishment, lose rounds, and still have the same energy and pop as he did at the beginning of the fight. Lyoto thrives on destroying his opponent's confidence. Rashad's confidence seems almost unbreakable. His chin is underrated as well. Lyoto has a great knack for getting the hell out of dodge when he senses the least bit of heat, but Rashad's great footspeed could quell that. I think he runs down Lyoto and drops him. Perhaps late in the fight. KO, GNP, Round 5, Rashad.

UFC 98 predictions:

Sean Sherk vs. Frankie Edgar: I see Sherk's conditioning as being to strong for anyone that lacks absolute striking power. This is how BJ finished him and if Edgar doesn't find a huge punch, he's gonna get worn out. Sherk by unanimous.

Dan Miller vs. Chael Sonnen: Chael Sonnen has amazing skills but I've seen him fight 3 times and 2 were losses. It's hard for me to predict victory for a guy who I haven't seen dominate. However, I like the guy's personality and sportsmanship so I'm backing him saturday night.

Sonnen by submission.

Drew McFedries vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam: I totally agree with DoubleStroke that Drew has become a fighter that's easy to beat if you stay away from him for the first 2 minutes. My problem is that I've never seen this other guy. I gotta go with the fighter I know..

McFedries by KTFO in the first.

Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra: Matt Serra is further past his prime than Matt Hughes, whose last 2 losses were against the best fighters in the world at the weight class. This will be one heck of a wrestling match that Hughes will win via RNC.

Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida: Well I have a sig bet with Lando (anyone know if he got suspended again?) so even though I'd love to see Machida take his head off, I gotta pick Rashad. :mad:

Evans will put him to sleep in round 4, just like Tito almost did.

Edit: Rashad better not pull any cute, cheeky moves though. Lyoto's reaction time is lightning-fast.

Edited by Chachie

Good call on turning on the stamina bars. Didn't forget about it as much as I didn't want to use it. So body kicks do the trick? Definitely will try that. I'm bad at locking in clinches. Usually they just shrug me off right away. Any tips? I'm pretty good at timing takedowns, but get swept like a dirty kitchen floor, like I said. Even the tutorial was vague on how to time defending sweeps. If I remember correctly it said that you basically have to time their offensive moves and offset them. Ugh. I really don't want to go through that boring ass tutorial again.

be persistent with the clinch attempts, body kicks drain stamina, but not nearly as much as knees from the clinch. i didn't want to play with the stamina bar on either, but its really the only way to know when the comp is ready to be subbed. its much easier to sub a human opponent than the computer. but the technique i described, is really working for me, i'm subbing the comp left and right now

one thing that bugs me about the game is lack of different submissions. they got the basics & a flying armbar. there's only 1 kind of leglock and its not even that common in real life, but most of all, there are no anaconda chokes, which happens to be my favorite sub :mad:

Edited by StillUnknown

Couple of news items:

mmamania.com

Mike Pyle steps to replace Chris Wilson against Brock Larson at UFC 98

By: Jesse Holland

Incomplete medical paperwork has forced UFC welterweight Chris Wilson to withdraw from his UFC 98 fight against Brock Larson at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 23, according to Sherdog.com.

MMA veteran Mike Pyle (17-5-1), who’s been on standby for the event since early this week, will step in to replace him.

It’s been a rough month for Wilson, who was recently the victim of a home invasion in Brazil, where he resides with his wife and children. Now a problem with medical paperwork will keep him on the shelf until he’s able to get it straightened out.

From Keith Kizer, Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission:

“There was no negative finding on Chris at all. We were only requesting more detailed medical information.”

Wilson, who was originally slated to face Josh Koscheck before Kos hurt his toe, was looking to rebound from a tough split-decision loss to John Howard at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″ on Jan. 31. It was the lone bright spot on a rather uneventful card, bringing home co “Fight of the Night” honors.

Now “The Hurricane,” who’s fought just about everywhere including EliteXC, Strikeforce, Affliction and the IFL (among others), will come into this fight looking to win his fifth straight against larson.

Pyle was last seen at “Night of Combat II,” where he quickly disposed of Brian Gassaway via armbar.

Current Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem was expected to defend his title for the first time since obliterating Paul Buentello way back in November of 2007.

His undefeated challenger, Brett Rogers, was coming off a thrashing of “Abongo” Humphries at “Shamrock vs. Diaz” on April 11. He was ready to test himself against the menacing Overeem, and both fans and media considered it a done deal.

Then nothing happened.

No official announcement, no press conference, just silence.

Then the reason giving for “Demolition Man” being absent from the Showtime card was because he suffered a hand injury during training and was unable to be ready in time for June 6.

Well turns out there’s more to the story then that, according to Fighter’s Only Magazine.

He did injure his hand, but this was no training mishap. Golden Glory manager Bas Boon recently updated on the events that transpired.

According to him …

“Alistair attended some famous dance club with his brother Valentijn. Went to the toilet and did not have coins to pay the toilet woman. Alistair told her he would pay a euro when he came back, because he did not have change. Then the security guard who was near by started to get involved. Valentijn saw the incident and also started asking what the problem was. They offered to pay, but by then 6 security guards came over surrounding them. The Overeem brothers were asked to leave, Alistair was already outside when he saw his brother Valentijn fighting. Valentijn still was discussing the situation on his way outside with one of the security guards hit Valentijn in the face with a flash light. Three security guards dived onto Valentijn and brother Alistair wanted to go back inside to help his brother. This resulted in five security guards in the hospital.”

Continue reading ‘Potty all the time: Alistair Overeem clowns rent-a-cops over greedy bathroom attendant’